Romney Hates Big Bird

http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2012/10/04/big-bird-mitt-romney-debate-funding-cut.html

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has vowed he would cut funding to PBS, America’s public broadcaster and the home of much-loved Sesame Street character Big Bird.

“I love Big Bird,” said Romney during his debate with U.S. President Barack Obama Wednesday night, “but I’m not going to keep spending money on things [and] to borrow money from China to pay for it.”

The threat to push Big Bird out of its federally subsidized nest prompted a torrent of comment on Twitter and other social media. Soon after Romney’s remarks, Twitter users were posting 17,000 tweets per minute mentioning Big Bird.

Romney apologized to the debate moderator Jim Lehrer, a former PBS anchor, but called the need to reduce America’s deficit a moral issue.

“I’m sorry, Jim, I’m going to stop the subsidy to PBS …. I like PBS. I love Big Bird. I actually like you, too.”

Are any of these politicians willing to take a pay cut? If not, why not? Also, I was upset with the lack of balloons during the debate.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course he hates Big Bird. He's always talking about sharing and compassion, two values that Romney knows nothing about.

Funny we never hear about reducing the funding for military and defense. Maybe Romney just might be the 'bain' of the USA if he is 'elected' as POTUS.

Of course he hates Big Bird. He's always talking about sharing and compassion, two values that Romney knows nothing about.

Except for the tens of million of dollars he's given to charity, without taking the tax deduction on them. And except all of the famlies and people he's personally helped, privately, without broadcasting to the world for attention. Other than that, you're completely right. :lol::rolleyes:

Except for the tens of million of dollars he's given to charity, without taking the tax deduction on them. And except all of the famlies and people he's personally helped, privately, without broadcasting to the world for attention. Other than that, you're completely right. :lol::rolleyes:

He didn't take his deductions his campaign says he would have paid under 13% and Obama would have nailed him. Wow what a saint.

As a matter of fact, Romney said that he liked Big Bird. The question is whether the American government should borrow from the Chinese to give Big Bird money.

If Mickey Mouse doesn't get a government subsidy, I don't see why Big Bird needs one.

When you're in the kind of debt problems the US is in, I would think PBS (though a great channel) is not essential and the funding should be cut. It would probably survive if private donors wanted it to.

And ya, defense spending should be cut too, but we all know that wouldn't happen under Romney, at least as long as he's a member of the GOP.

Except for the tens of million of dollars he's given to charity, without taking the tax deduction on them.

"I don't pay more than are legally due and frankly if I had paid more than are legally due I don't think I'd be qualified to become president"

-Mittens

I couldn't agree more.

Edited by Battletoads

Because Mickey has billions. Mickey looks out for Mickey.
Well, Big Bird is worth half a billion a year:
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting receives about $450million from Congress each year. About $280million goes to PBS and the local stations.

Federal funding makes up about 12 per cent of the PBS budget.

Supporters were quick to point out that the figure amounts to 0.007 percent of the federal budget - about 80 cents per American.

Daily Mail

Michael, this may seem like a small part of the US federal budget but if American politicians are incapable of confronting the problem at this level, they will soon have a debt of over 200% of GDP.

Moreover, PBS has its share of "millionaire" managers:

When presidents of government-funded broadcasting are making more than the president of the United States, it's time to get the government out of public broadcasting.

While executives at the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) and National Public Radio (NPR) are raking in massive salaries, the organizations are participating in an aggressive lobbying effort to prevent Congress from saving hundreds of millions of dollars each year by cutting their subsidies.

WSJ

"I don't pay more than are legally due and frankly if I had paid more than are legally due I don't think I'd be qualified to become president.

"I don't pay more ... "

can mean "I pay what's legally owed"

or

"I pay less"

He's being cagey ... weaseling.

He's a weasel gonna kill Big Bird.

And I do think Big Bird will bite him in the butt. :D

The network has reassured the public, as they must ...

Big Bird's demise has children very anxious, terrified, Romney is terrorizing children ...

that Romney's attack on PBS would cause damage but won't affect Big Bird as he is self supporting.

Whew!

Maybe the traumatized kids will stop crying now.

But they'll never forget the RomneyMonster.

He's not funny ... and he's not nice. :angry:

Edited by jacee

And the US is paying some interest on that. It all adds up. If you don't have the money to pay for it, do not pay for it: budgeting 101.

I am certain that if Romney paid his fair share of taxes and others like him, Big Bird would be safe.

Infact Romney could probably fund bigbird himself .... if he really cared ;)

I am certain that if Romney paid his fair share of taxes and others like him, Big Bird would be safe.

Infact Romney could probably fund bigbird himself .... if he really cared ;)

But only out of charity ... He's not paying his taxes to government! That's against his values!

But ... is he gonna stick BB in a cage on top of his car? :o

Well, Big Bird is worth half a billion a year:Daily Mail

Michael, this may seem like a small part of the US federal budget but if American politicians are incapable of confronting the problem at this level, they will soon have a debt of over 200% of GDP.

Is no one able to prioritize ? $280 million is likely LESS than the overrun on some defense department projects. When reviewing a restaurant bill of $100, this is the equivalent of asking about an error of one CENT. Meanwhile, somebody ordered a $20 sandwich.

Moreover, PBS has its share of "millionaire" managers:

People who run large organizations are paid a lot of money.

When you're in the kind of debt problems the US is in, I would think PBS (though a great channel) is not essential and the funding should be cut. It would probably survive if private donors wanted it to.

And ya, defense spending should be cut too, but we all know that wouldn't happen under Romney, at least as long as he's a member of the GOP.

Hasn't Obama already cut defense spending?

As a matter of fact, Romney said that he liked Big Bird. The question is whether the American government should borrow from the Chinese to give Big Bird money.

If Mickey Mouse doesn't get a government subsidy, I don't see why Big Bird needs one.

The statement of borrowing money from China to pay for Big Bird is completely absurd. Seems like China owns about 25% of the 16 trillion dollars of the USA's total debt. I am sure cutting funding to Big Bird will balance those books. This is more talking to how messed up the current financial situation is.

The statement of borrowing money from China to pay for Big Bird is completely absurd. Seems like China owns about 25% of the 16 trillion dollars of the USA's total debt. I am sure cutting funding to Big Bird will balance those books. This is more talking to how messed up the current financial situation is.

Nobody's saying that just cutting PBS will solve everything. But it's still the right thing to do. Stop being so obtuse.