2012 debates

You know that Romney won big time when the Obama fans around here won't even dispute it, but instead say he lied(then why didn't Obama call him on it like Romney called Obama on it again and again?), he cheated, his responses were shallow, etc.

Romney won last night and all the 'yah buts' in the world will not change it, nor all of the "fact" checking leftwing activists. If Obama knows whats good for him, he won't be focusing on these shallow claims either. He'll fire his debate coach and get serious about how to do better next time. His anger showed through too much on TV and his preference to not even look at his adversary.

Dispute what? Again Obama now has 38 minutes of Romney lying and he will use every minute of it. I wouldn't call that a win. The commercials are already being cut and put on air in Ohio. I don't think that is a win but we will see in about a week where the polls land.

Again this is an election not a football game. If the debates make you a weaker candidate (which is what is going to happen to Romney in the end) then you lost them. So if you are so sure this was an important moment then I will make the same bet with you and I tried to make with Shady. If Romney wins I wont post for 2 months, but if Obama wins you can't post for two months. Put your money where your mouth is if you think this is such a big deal, cause I think those clips of lie after lie after lie aren't going to go over well in Ohio, or Michigan.

Here is a fun one coming out now. Romney says he can cut taxes and increase Military spending and balance the budget. He says he can do this by "growing the economy" by putting people back to work. I have seen Shady make this argument here many times. He says he plans on creating 12 Million new jobs. So how much would each new job have to pay in order for all those numbers to add up? Well 500,000 dollars each. BTW all that would do is close the current deficit. Never mind his tax cut at all. That is just the current deficit. Come on! What a stupid plan. Can't wait for the 24 hour media cycle on that one. I bet it will be the Monday story. Ouch

Reagan lost his first debate against Mondale as well. Obama is like the new Reagan is so many ways isn't he?

Edited by punked

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Punked,

No one is saying it's a football game, and I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. It's one debate in an election that has many other factors besides which one looks good on TV debates.

Brave guy daring to make bets when Obama is in the lead of every poll. But lets look at what you are sayinig. You said earlier that everything Romney said was a lie. You obviously don't know that for a fact, you "know" it because your specific media bubble is busy stretching the facts of what was said earlier, or said by others to conflict with what Romeny said last night. They'll take things out of context, lie themselves, and basically try to make last night go away.

Like I said earlier, there is going to be major blow back for the Romney win. There might even be another 'gotcha' video that suddenly appear out of no where.

You know that Romney won big time when the Obama fans around here won't even dispute it, but instead say he lied(then why didn't Obama call him on it like Romney called Obama on it again and again?), he cheated, his responses were shallow, etc.

Romney won last night and all the 'yah buts' in the world will not change it, nor all of the "fact" checking leftwing activists. If Obama knows whats good for him, he won't be focusing on these shallow claims either. He'll fire his debate coach and get serious about how to do better next time. His anger showed through too much on TV and his preference to not even look at his adversary.

You'd have said this regardless of what actually happened last night.

I'm not an Obama fan at all. I find much of what he has done, especially abroad to be completely distasteful. Why he was given a Nobel Peace prize is beyond me.

I never said Romney cheated either.

He did lies and his responses certainly were shallow. He has been asked time and again to explain how exactly he'll eliminate the deficit, whilst cutting taxes. He can't quantify it. He cannot show where he's going to save money. "Closing loopholes in the tax code," he says. Ok, governor. What loopholes? I don't know because he still hasn't said. He has not once, ever shown where he's going to save all of this money. He didn't last night either.

When they discussed healthcare, he openly admitted that he's going to be putting seniors on vouchers and announced proudly that he would save money. When Obama pressed him on how this would save money, once again he has absolutely no answers.

Romney then said he would eliminate Dodd-Frank. Obama made him look like an idiot by saying "if you think too much regulation caused the crisis, the Romney's your man." Nobody who has two braincells to rub together thinks the crisis was the cause of too little regulation. To be fair to the governor, he did say he would replace Dodd-Frank. That's nice. WIth what? I don't know because again... he didn't substantiate a single thing he claimed.

Romney only won in the eyes of the naive shallow-thinkers out there that are stupid enough to believe that he'll end the deficit by cutting taxes whilst still paying for all of the programs that he claims he's not going to touch. If you really believe that load of crap, then Romney won.

Here is a fun one coming out now. Romney says he can cut taxes and increase Military spending and balance the budget. He says he can do this by "growing the economy" by putting people back to work. I have seen Shady make this argument here many times. He says he plans on creating 12 Million new jobs. So how much would each new job have to pay in order for all those numbers to add up? Well 500,000 dollars each. BTW all that would do is close the current deficit. Never mind his tax cut at all. That is just the current deficit. Come on! What a stupid plan. Can't wait for the 24 hour media cycle on that one. I bet it will be the Monday story. Ouch

Reagan lost his first debate against Mondale as well. Obama is like the new Reagan is so many ways isn't he?

See this is what I mean. They are using democrat numbers on part of that and Romney's on part and then saying each job would have to pay 500000. It's silly Punked. Romney also said he'd cut spending, but they don't bother to put that in the calculations, because then it might actually make sense.

Obama has had 4 years to do something, anything about the deficit. He's been completely unsuccessful. They leave that out too.

Again Obama now has 38 minutes of Romney lying and he will use every minute of it.

Again this is an election not a football game. If the debates make you a weaker candidate (which is what is going to happen to Romney in the end) then you lost them.

Hold on here. Anyone can gain lose or neutralize their own debate performance. Debates in Canada sent Ignatieff to the Cellar and Layton to the Ceiling, and it was a simmer effect that caught hold. It didn't look major in the debate but it then framed the rest of the campaign.

This debate performance has given life to a dying campaign and a spring in the step of Republican activists. I would also say the reverse is true for the Democrats. It turned momentum into quicksand and has activists scratching their heads.

I do agree, that their is alot of ammo for Obama in the next debate, that came from this one.

The thing is... Obama had alot of ammo coming in and didn't execute. He also didn't catch those statements while they were made in debate 1.

Finally, plenty of time for either one to continue to put their foot in mouth.

See this is what I mean. They are using democrat numbers on part of that and Romney's on part and then saying each job would have to pay 500000. It's silly Punked. Romney also said he'd cut spending, but they don't bother to put that in the calculations, because then it might actually make sense.

Obama has had 4 years to do something, anything about the deficit. He's been completely unsuccessful. They leave that out too.

What spending would he cut? All I heard last night is that he would cut 300 million from PBS while increasing military funding by 2 Trillion dollars. Want to do the math for me Sharkman. Either post some facts or go sit in a corner with Romney because people don't want to hear magic for their answers. GIVE ME AN ANSWER. How does he do it?

Seriously when asked for specifics in an election where he is losing Women by 10 points, his only answer on saving money was to fire Big Bird. To tell the kids in American "Hey f&*$ you, you free loaders, and tell the Moms in America early Childhood education is not important. I bet that poll tests well. So how about some real details on how he saves money ok?

Edited by punked

Hold on here. Anyone can gain lose or neutralize their own debate performance. Debates in Canada sent Ignatieff to the Cellar and Layton to the Ceiling, and it was a simmer effect that caught hold. It didn't look major in the debate but it then framed the rest of the campaign.

This debate performance has given life to a dying campaign and a spring in the step of Republican activists. I would also say the reverse is true for the Democrats. It turned momentum into quicksand and has activists scratching their heads.

I do agree, that their is alot of ammo for Obama in the next debate, that came from this one.

The thing is... Obama had alot of ammo coming in and didn't execute. He also didn't catch those statements while they were made in debate 1.

Finally, plenty of time for either one to continue to put their foot in mouth.

He raised 150 million in Sept. So he doesn't care about what happened last night now he can blanket the airwaves so every voter sees what Mitt said last night with a poll tested repose that will bury him. This isn't Canada heck this isn't even an American election we have seen before. Obama was playing not to lose now they will respond to everything Mitt said with the facts and citations to back it up. I am not worried in the least, I think in the end we will all look back on the debate as moment Mitt almost made it a race then team Obama just buried him.

He did lies and his responses certainly were shallow. He has been asked time and again to explain how exactly he'll eliminate the deficit, whilst cutting taxes. He can't quantify it. He cannot show where he's going to save money. "Closing loopholes in the tax code," he says. Ok, governor. What loopholes? I don't know because he still hasn't said. He has not once, ever shown where he's going to save all of this money. He didn't last night either.

When they discussed healthcare, he openly admitted that he's going to be putting seniors on vouchers and announced proudly that he would save money. When Obama pressed him on how this would save money, once again he has absolutely no answers.

Romney then said he would eliminate Dodd-Frank. Obama made him look like an idiot by saying "if you think too much regulation caused the crisis, the Romney's your man." Nobody who has two braincells to rub together thinks the crisis was the cause of too little regulation. To be fair to the governor, he did say he would replace Dodd-Frank. That's nice. WIth what? I don't know because again... he didn't substantiate a single thing he claimed.

Romney only won in the eyes of the naive shallow-thinkers out there that are stupid enough to believe that he'll end the deficit by cutting taxes whilst still paying for all of the programs that he claims he's not going to touch. If you really believe that load of crap, then Romney won.

You forget that we are talking about the shallow medium of television, voters have a very emotional(read shallow) response. In the past this shallow medium has crowned presidents like Reagan, so it is important.

On Romney not fleshing out his plans and ideas, it is a strategy not to, in my opinion, maybe I'm wrong. It doesn't matter what plans he gives or what details, the Obama camp will say they won't work, so now all they can say is he won't tell us more. Instead the Rommey camp needs to point out how poorly Obama's programs have worked. The economy, unemployment, green jobs, it's all been a failure. Romney was very successful last night in pointing that out.

What spending would he cut? All I heard last night is that he would cut 300 million from PBS while increasing military funding by 2 Trillion dollars. Want to do the math for me Sharkman. Either post some facts or go sit in a corner with Romney because people don't want to hear magic for their answers. GIVE ME AN ANSWER. How does he do it?

Seriously when asked for specifics in an election where he is losing Women by 10 points, his only answer on saving money was to fire Big Bird. To tell the kids in American "Hey f&*$ you, you free loaders, and tell the Moms in America early Childhood education is not important. I bet that poll tests well. So how about some real details on how he saves money ok?

The typical voter is not like you Punked, they don't have the interest for all the line by line detail, they just want an economy that is growing unlike what Obama has been able to do the last 4 years. Should the US borrow 300 million a year to fund PBS and 90 billion to fund green corporations that go bankrupt? The typical voter would rather have their kids working when they grow up than watching daytime tv like big bird.

You forget that we are talking about the shallow medium of television, voters have a very emotional(read shallow) response. In the past this shallow medium has crowned presidents like Reagan, so it is important.

On Romney not fleshing out his plans and ideas, it is a strategy not to, in my opinion, maybe I'm wrong. It doesn't matter what plans he gives or what details, the Obama camp will say they won't work, so now all they can say is he won't tell us more. Instead the Rommey camp needs to point out how poorly Obama's programs have worked. The economy, unemployment, green jobs, it's all been a failure. Romney was very successful last night in pointing that out.

Reagan never had youtube, fact checks or twitter. Sorry this isn't 1980.

The typical voter is not like you Punked, they don't have the interest for all the line by line detail, they just want an economy that is growing unlike what Obama has been able to do the last 4 years. Should the US borrow 300 million a year to fund PBS and 90 billion to fund green corporations that go bankrupt? The typical voter would rather have their kids working when they grow up than watching daytime tv like big bird.

Typical voter is giving Obama a plus 56% approval rating today. So It seems to me the more facts they get the more they like someone.

90 Billion was a LOAN. So that money wasn't even spent. It is all coming back in. More BS. There is no 90 Billion to cut cause it was NEVER an expense. More conservatives that don't understand math. So how do you close a 1.3 Trillion dollar deficit, increase military spending by 2 Trillion and cut taxes by 5 Trillion? Well Romney seems to think the answer is cut 300 million from PBS and magic. No one is going to vote for that. Sorry.

Just for good measure Romney the Liar today arguing with Romney the Lair from like 5 months ago.

Edited by punked

Romney did very well. Obama was mostly on the defensive while he did hit Romney with some body blows no KO's by either side. Romney did better on the economy and Obama might have done slightly better on health care. Romney's health care plan was more confusing but he did make good points against Obama-care.

It was almost as if Obama was shell shocked. Like he was caught off guard by how well Romney can debate and never fully recovered. Romney was staring him down while Obama was trying to talk directly to Americans but at times Obama looked like he was being scolded by keeping his head down and refusing to look at Romney much of the time.

Obama needs to kick it into gear if he wants to do better in the next debate.

Reagan never had youtube, fact checks or twitter. Sorry this isn't 1980.

And the demographic that goes to the polls isn't really using twitter, youtube, and factcheck blogs. Unfortunately, sharkman is right. The debate is theatre for an audience that gives millions of dollars to the likes of Nicki Minaj and Michael Bey.

I had a similar thought today, after reading the reactions to the debate from various sources. Your comparison to Layton is apt. It was after the French debate that NDP support in Quebec began to rise. Like with Romney, people saw a candidate in a new way.

[bTW, while I watched the debate last night, I didn't think that either Obama or Romney "won". Instead, I saw two earnest policy wonks debating viewpoints in a civilized manner and even sometimes agreeing.]

Anyway, here's a good column that supports your viewpoint, Madmax:

Out on a limb, where the breeze is best:

The impact of the first debate is going to be bigger than we know. It's going to affect thinking more than we know, and it's going to start showing up in the polls, including in the battlegrounds, more dramatically than we guess.

Peggy Noonan

Romney did very well. Obama was mostly on the defensive while he did hit Romney with some body blows no KO's by either side...

It was almost as if Obama was shell shocked. Like he was caught off guard by how well Romney can debate and never fully recovered. Romney was staring him down while Obama was trying to talk directly to Americans but at times Obama looked like he was being scolded by keeping his head down and refusing to look at Romney much of the time.

Obama needs to kick it into gear if he wants to do better in the next debate.

This was my analysis as well. I think Romney has had to walk into hostile boardrooms and stockholder meetings and win the day many times. Obama, on the other hand, has had no such experience and it showed. Romney almost looked sorry for Obama when he said, "You don't just pick winners and losers, you pick the losers only."

I think Romney has had to walk into hostile boardrooms and stockholder meetings and win the day many times. Obama, on the other hand, has had no such experience and it showed.

Riight. It's amazing how Obama has never been criticized. I remember a president once who was even disrespected by the opposition and called a liar in the middle of a State of the Union speech...

...wait a minute...

That video is just more left wing activists at work. They don't like Romney, we get that. But is a candidate not allowed to change opinions and plans from October 2011 to October 2012 out of fear that a left wing gotcha video will surface showing he's changed his mind or plans?

You could make a video like that of any politician.

As for Bubber's assertion. Do you really think that someone saying liar(Obama never even heard it?) while he's giving an address is comparible to Romney going into hostile boardrooms and stockholder meetings in a 25 yr career? Of course the left thinks that's comparible. That's why they were so surprised that Obama couldn't keep up with Romney.

That video is just more left wing activists at work. They don't like Romney, we get that. But is a candidate not allowed to change opinions and plans from October 2011 to October 2012 out of fear that a left wing gotcha video will surface showing he's changed his mind or plans?

What does his being a flip-flopper have to do with other people being left wing?