Canada closes embassy in Iran, expels diplomats.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/09/07/pol-baird-canada-iran-embassy.html

Canada has suspended diplomatic relations with Iran and is expelling Iranian diplomats from Canada, Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird announced in a statement today.

"Canada has closed its embassy in Iran, effective immediately, and declared persona non grata all remaining Iranian diplomats in Canada," Baird said in a statement. Those diplomats must leave within five days.

"Canada’s position on the regime in Iran is well known. Canada views the Government of Iran as the most significant threat to global peace and security in the world today."

I seriously doubt that Iran is the biggest thread to Canada's security. Although Iran might be a threat to Israel, I fail to see how that is our problem. Will this clear a path for Israel to strike on Iran's nuclear facilities?

Could this be the 'October Surprise' some in the media are concerned about?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/09/07/pol-baird-canada-iran-embassy.html

I seriously doubt that Iran is the biggest thread to Canada's security. Although Iran might be a threat to Israel, I fail to see how that is our problem. Will this clear a path for Israel to strike on Iran's nuclear facilities?

nothing more than BairdBellicose and Harper Conservatives presuming to 'punch above weight'

Baird did not say that Iran was the biggest threat to Canada's security. He said "global peace and security".

Of course, if you don't give a damn about the rest of the world or people who might get nuked then I guess that's a valid opinion. A very cold, cruel and callous opinion but you would be entitled to it, nonetheless.

Baird did not say that Iran was the biggest threat to Canada's security. He said "global peace and security".

Of course, if you don't give a damn about the rest of the world or people who might get nuked then I guess that's a valid opinion. A very cold, cruel and callous opinion but you would be entitled to it, nonetheless.

We should be taking care of people here at home instead of trying to start more wars overseas. Iran is not even a threat to global security one bit. Considering how many countries we have assisted in invading over the past decade, and how many countries Iran has attacked over the past decade sends a clear signal to me who the real aggressors are.

Canada has just cited Iran's regimes support for Syria's regime as one of the main reasons for this action on the same day our leader arrives in Russia to extol Canada's need for closer ties with China.

China and Russia also support Iran and Syria.

I feel like I'm having my nose rubbed in something but I'm also getting this sense I'm missing something.

Canada has just cited Iran's regimes support for Syria's regime as one of the main reasons for this action on the same day our leader arrives in Russia to extol Canada's need for closer ties with China.

I feel like I'm having my nose rubbed in something but I'm also getting this sense I'm missing something.

uhhh... perhaps Baird didn't get the memo! :lol:

uhhh... perhaps Baird didn't get the memo! :lol:

Oh I'm pretty sure he got the memo. I think Harper's government and Canada is definitely communicating a message to us and the world today. It's an addendum to the memo that highlighted Canada's willingness to reach out to torturers.

A symbolic gesture with little real practical value.

While Israel can certainly bomb Iranian installation, recent conflicts in Lebanon have clearly showed the limits of Israel's military capabilities when subjected to asymmetrical warfare, which would undeniably come out a a prolonged conflict.

Canada has no interests in getting in that particular mess. It should go back to its old position; a neutral vantage point from which it can uses its resources to mediate. We do not have the power or the clout to really matter that much as a belligerent force and it affects our standings with the people favorable to the other side.

Oh I'm pretty sure he got the memo. I think Harper's government and Canada is definitely communicating a message to us and the world today. It's an addendum to the memo that highlighted Canada's willingness to reach out to torturers.

I guess the attack on the british embassy had nothing to do with the situation, or defying UN orders or threatening other states .And by critizing the harper ggoverment on this ,shows that you support Iran over our own goverment. I just skake my head at how certain people would sell us out to you can just stick your finger in harper's eye..

I guess the attack on the british embassy had nothing to do with the situation, or defying UN orders or threatening other states .And by critizing the harper ggoverment on this ,shows that you support Iran over our own goverment. I just skake my head at how certain people would sell us out to you can just stick your finger in harper's eye..

Shake your head a little harder.

I support closing embassies and expelling diplomats in every country that is friendly towards dictators of any and all stripes.

Canada should be deeply ashamed at the spectacle of Harper wheeling and dealing with the likes of China and Russia on this of all days.

We should be taking care of people here at home instead of trying to start more wars overseas. Iran is not even a threat to global security one bit.

Not even one bit huh? I wish I could be as naive and uninformed as you are. But you're a real life truther, so I expect as much.

Shake your head a little harder.

I support closing embassies and expelling diplomats in every country that is friendly towards dictators of any and all stripes.

Canada should be deeply ashamed at the spectacle of Harper wheeling and dealing with the likes of China and Russia on this of all days.

Except that isn't possible unless we want to break off relations with half the countries on the planet. You have to pick your causes and you will never get unanimous agreement on which causes those should be. This is as good as any and will have the least repercussions for us.

UN orders only mean something when certain players are involved. Otherwise, I view the UN as a defunct entity that needs to be abolished.

What about the US/Isreali cyberwarefare on Iran's nuke site? Stuxnet.

What about the multiple incidents at several of the military bases in Iran housing the elite guard?

What about Iranian scientists who were killed.

Canada also closed the embassy in Syria just as the violence there was ramping up. I expect other countries to follow suit and close their embassy in Iran. Actually looking back, after the UK embassy in Iran was attacked, many other countries did close their embassy in Iran.

Have we not learned a damn thing regarding Iraq? Do we really want to screw up another country?

The Iranian people don't want war, just as most Canadians don't want war. However our leaders are psychopaths and seem to want war.

The Iranian people don't want war, just as most Canadians don't want war. However our leaders are psychopaths and seem to want war.

The Iranian leaders don't give a damn about what the Iranian people feel!

So how are the Iranian people relevant?

I think people may not realize that ever since Ken Taylor, the Canadian Embassy in Iran has always been difficult and relations with Iran very trying.

While I don't consider Iran a Global Threat, one must remember they march to a very different drummer and could be unpredictable. I am not surprised are Diplomats have been pulled, I don't believe this is the first or last time. Nor Do I think Iran much cares what we do.

My concern would be for any Canadians in Iran, who may require the services of the Embassy which they will not be able to receive.

In the end, few here realize that Iran is a democracy and that the people are not as harsh as the right wing government that gets elected.

Edited by madmax

1) China is the new superpower and economic power.

What more do you need to know. ;)