Quebec Election 2012 -Unpredictable

Bull. Even the US has huge internal problems. Belgium? France? The UK? Really? Our problems are miniscule and typical.

The US? France??? What problems do they have?

First off, France is not a federation.

Secondly, the US has no division like we do. Americans are American, we are Quebecois, Albertan, etc etc.

The UK has some problems, but they are minor. England has 5/6ths of the population and is united, and even Wales is quite willing to stick around without difficulty. If Scotland and Northern Ireland leave, what's left is still by in large the UK, whereas in Canada, all the various parts want to go.

Spain is similar, separatists in some areas, but as a whole, not much. The same goes for other federations or quasi federations (Russia, India, China, etc)

Even in all the places listed, only in Scotland is there any serious debate about more power for the subnational entity, wheras here in Canada, it's one of our fav things to talk about.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The UK has some problems, but they are minor.

LOL... your contention is that Canada has more internal strife since the 60's than other countries.... but you seem to have a very short memory when it comes to other countries! Northern Ireland was a "minor problem"???

The US? France??? What problems do they have?

France has massive problems with clashing minority groups. The US has massive problems that divide along urban and rural lines, racial lines, religious lines, coastal vs midwest, etc.

First off, France is not a federation.

Do you think that's the only type of problem that ever breaks up a country.

Secondly, the US has no division like we do. Americans are American, we are Quebecois, Albertan, etc etc.

Yeah, there are real Americans...and not real ones. Just ask so many in the Tea Party.

The UK has some problems, but they are minor. England has 5/6ths of the population and is united, and even Wales is quite willing to stick around without difficulty. If Scotland and Northern Ireland leave, what's left is still by in large the UK, whereas in Canada, all the various parts want to go.

Really, so you push aside the problems in the UK, even though they're probably the most similar. Obviously, since the Scottish National Party got in, the UK is a failure.

Spain is similar, separatists in some areas, but as a whole, not much. The same goes for other federations or quasi federations (Russia, India, China, etc)

Like Canada, you mean? Or do you think that all Quebecois are separatist? And have you ever heard of Chechnya? Kashmir? Tibet?

Even in all the places listed, only in Scotland is there any serious debate about more power for the subnational entity, wheras here in Canada, it's one of our fav things to talk about.

I notice you left our Belgium....or even Switzerland. We are, despite your contentions, one of the most stable countries on the planet. That's why investment flows here, that's why it's so peaceful here, that's why there is no ethnic clashing here, that's why Quebec separatists almost never resort to violence, and that's why sovereignty gets nowhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTs86ucftfs

If this was an English speaker attacking people for daring to speak French in his presence...

This is Quebec.

These are Quebecois.

This is waht the PQ stands for. This is what Quebecois will vote for tonight.

And with that, I end this discussion. This is a thread about the election and I won't respond to any non-election stuff anymore.

Guest Derek L

I think a Country from the Ottawa River to Vancouver island would probably work best, were Quebec to separate.

I agree that it would work, and I suggest, not to preclude the Maritimes, that their inclusion wouldn’t necessitate being physically beside the ROC…………..Mind you, to paraphrase ole Jean, parts of Quebec could also leave…………Maybe Northern Quebec joining Newfoundland & Labrador? Becoming it’s on Province/territory? The Province of Nord-du-Quebec…….or how about Kativik and/or Ungava? Or what about the Island of Montreal? Or Pontiac?

I can't see much of Quebec actually leaving. People in Western Quebec who are federalist would be willing to move across the river. Those outside Montreal would likely be like "meh, alright, whatever" and even within Montreal there is support.

Natives would stay if they thought they'd get a better deal from Quebec - Quebec knows this and will offer them one.

If any part of Quebec would separate from the province, it would be Montreal, west of Autoroute 13

Maybe a Liberal/CAQ coalition majority?

I'm wondering that myself, actually....I know Legault said no, but....the numbers are there. The only thing is the corruption inquiry....and the fact that the Liberals will now have no leader.

Edited by Smallc

Let me guess.... You were one of the people who set their hair on fire over a potential coalition government federally a couple elections ago.... Correct?

Sure, but (and I was a supporter of the principle of coalitions, if not that particular fragile one) LPQ + CAQ > PQ and LPC + NDP < CPC.

Edited by Smallc

Kinda like Alberta.

It's my belief that the greed and hateful ness of Albertans - which is just thinly disguised ethnic prejudice - is largely responsible for the longevity of the Quebec separatist movement.

And as I've said elsewhere, given a choice I'd prefer that greed-centric Alberta separate. We'll save billions in 'corporate subsidies' that are nothing more than political payoffs, make a bundle for transporting oil across our land, and never again have to listen to Alberta whine about the ROC.

The election of the PQ in Quebec is a reaction to the collusion and corruption of the Liberals. It has little to do with separatism.

It's my belief that you're the one filled with hate, i use the above post as evidence. What an utterly ridiculous thing to say, how ignorant could you possibly have to be to think the way you do?

Guest Derek L

I'm wondering that myself, actually....I know Legault said no, but....the numbers are there. The only thing is the corruption inquiry....and the fact that the Liberals will now have no leader.

I guess we’ll see, but I suppose there’s the possibility as the numbers firm up, we could see the possibility of a PQ/QS merger?

Either way, Federally, either possibility will be damaging to the federal NDP………..Do they support the Libs/CAQ in a bid to form a government or support a PQ Opposition? Do they support a PQ minority? A PQ/QS coalition? Lot’s of questions to be asked of Mr Muclair……….

I’ve been flicking back and forth between CBC & CTV, and I think it was CTV that had a poll done to see whom Canadians thought would be the best fit for dealing with a Quebec separatist Government from the Federal level, and with the over 50% the opinion was of Trudeau, followed by Muclair and Harper……

I guess we’ll see, but I suppose there’s the possibility as the numbers firm up, we could see the possibility of a PQ/QS merger?

unlikely.

Either way, Federally, either possibility will be damaging to the federal NDP………..Do they support the Libs/CAQ in a bid to form a government or support a PQ Opposition? Do they support a PQ minority? A PQ/QS coalition? Lot’s of questions to be asked of Mr Muclair……….

About as damaging to the NDP as to the CPC...

As the Federal Government will be stickhandling, I don't really see the Federal NDP in the equation.

However, I also expect the NDP to attempt to form a Provincial Quebec Wing and displace the Corrupt and scandal ridden Liberals to provide an alternative to the PQ.

I’ve been flicking back and forth between CBC & CTV, and I think it was CTV that had a poll done to see whom Canadians thought would be the best fit for dealing with a Quebec separatist Government from the Federal level, and with the over 50% the opinion was of Trudeau, followed by Muclair and Harper……

Interesting.

I hope not. don't believe in them. But on the corruption thingy, it is not just the libs, it is a way of life in quebec and it will be hard for anyone to change it.