Boy Scouts of America upholds ban on gays

BBC news - Boy Scouts uphold ban on gays

The Boy Scouts of America will not change its policy of excluding gay scouts and scout leaders, following a secret two-year review, the group says.

The most disturbing part of this for me is the message that so many young boys have just been sent, that they need to deny their sexuality to be part of an organization that has nothing to do with sex. I wonder if there will be a check box on the application form for sexual orientation?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only in America!

Does Scouts Canada Admit Both Boys and Girls?

Yes, Scouts Canada became completely co-ed in 1998.

Do You Have to Believe in God to Join Scouts Canada? Is Scouting a Christian Organization?

No, but you must have a basic spiritual belief. Spirituality has been one of the three main principles of Scouting around the world since its inception more than 100 years ago. Scouts Canada is proud of its commitment to diversity and welcomes members of many different faiths and denominations.

You need not belong to an organized religion, but all members must take the Scout Promise in good faith and leaders may include some form of spirituality in their program for the youth. “God” represents spirituality and for some may represent an actual deity, but it may also mean an expression of your personal spirituality.

"Duty to God" as defined by the World Organization of the Scouting Movement, means "a person's relationship with the spiritual values of life, the fundamental belief in a force above mankind."

Are Homosexuals Allowed to Join Scouts Canada?

Scouts Canada does not discriminate for reasons of gender, culture, religious belief or sexual orientation.

Guest Manny

Any private organization should be allowed to set up their own criteria for membership. As I recall they turned down government funding so that they could independently set their own membership agenda, although it meant more financial difficulty. They chose not to whore themselves out for their ideals, which in itself I can appreciate.

There is of course Girl Scouts. Do we need another organization- the Gay Scouts?

The most disturbing part of this for me is the message that so many young boys have just been sent, that they need to deny their sexuality to be part of an organization that has nothing to do with sex.

It's not very clear what the policy is, exactly; the article just says "same-sex orientation" and "sexuality". (Putting aside whether or not a kid under 18 (let alone over 18) has enough life experience to be certain what label they want, if any at all) does it apply only to those who've choosen for themselves the sexual label "gay"? Does it include those who identify as bisexual? How about kids who identify as straight or haven't picked any sexual label but have engaged in homosexual acts? The rule is obviously exclusive, but I need to know more about it before deciding just how bad it is.

[ed.: +]

Edited by g_bambino

Absolutely disgusting.

Bye Bye Boy Scouts!

Just lost all credibility with the majority and revealed itself as a creature of the extreme religious right.

Epic fail.

I don't know about losing credibility with the majority.

Back in 2006 (yes, its dated) a poll showed that 48% of Americans would refuse to vote for an atheist for President. Gays (37%) and Muslims (38%) were slightly preferred.

And this is just people "refusing" to vote.

You know that there are more who just plain don't like them gays and godless (and girls for that matter, but the war on women from the religious right is a whole other topic).

But whatever, I'm thankful I live in Canada.

Sure, our head of state may never be a Catholic (as some non sequiturs will tell us) but at least godless, gay, girls can join Scouts. :lol:

We're getting off topic, but I've never seen a full public washroom (not a single room with a locked door like at a gas station) that are open to both men and women.

We are OT; hopefully not for too long. I've been in washrooms in a couple of bars/lounges in Toronto that were genderless; all stalls, common sink area.

(And no, I didn't accidentally (or purposefully) walk into the women's!)

[ed.: +]

Edited by g_bambino

Guest Manny

We are OT; hopefully not for too long. I've been in washrooms in a couple of bars/lounges in Toronto that were genderless; all stalls, common sink area.

Guessing it was one of those ones where the clientele are themselves, genderless.

I'm sure some are.

Pedos 'like' children regardless of gender.

They may pick on boys more often, but that's because of easier accessibility and because boys are less likely to 'tell'.

I guess there are still a few misinformed people like you who don't grasp the difference between 'pedo' and 'gay' ... like you ... and the Pope.

Edited by jacee