Liberals to get a "new" interim leader!

is it? Is it as interesting to realize Harper was both a former Liberal as well as a former Progressive Conservative?
When was Harper a Liberal? Did he ever run an election for them.

you need to bone-up on your guys bio... check with MLW member, 'PIK', if you adding qualifications to his reference post is allowed?

As for the PC argument. Everyone in the caucus was either a former PC or a former Alliance/Reformer. That argument is a red herring.

red herring? Take it up with MLW member, 'PIK', hey? If there was a point to PIK's frivolity, it was, presumably, highlighting previous, 'different', political attachment/belief. In that regard, clearly, obviously, you fail if you attempt to equate the former Progressive Conservative party with the current CPC.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A former lib running the NDP, a former NDP'er running the libs, interesting. But bob has no chance ,the fix is in. Justin Trudeau has it in the bag already. Bob runs and loses ,he is done and another convention, to old to go for it twice, but justin...................

Sorry but it was reported that Justin won't be running for leadership. He and Dominic are the best of friends and won't run against each other and besides Justin wants to spend time with his young kids.

The natural ideological demarcation in Canada seems clearer, I guess in lieu of a PR system our evolution back towards a two-party either-or state was inevitable.

Oh well, if all we get is lemons then lemonade it is. I imagine things will be even more sour by the time the two party state is based on beggars and choosers.

When was Harper a Liberal? Did he ever run an election for them.

As for the PC argument. Everyone in the caucus was either a former PC or a former Alliance/Reformer. That argument is a red herring.

As a young person Harper belong the the liberal party and did so until the family moved to Alberta and when Trudeau brought in the Energy Program on the 70's, Harper didn't agree with it and switched to PC and then when he didn't agree with Mulroney on the economy issue he switched over to the reform. Then he decided to run against Stockwell Day for the leadership of the reform and won and then went on to change the name of reform to alliance and after that to get a hold on the PMO he had to come together with the PCs, who had two seats left, after Mulroney, made a deal with McKay and renamed the party Conservatives, which got him into the PMO, while still using his alliance views.

As a young person Harper belong the the liberal party and did so until the family moved to Alberta and when Trudeau brought in the Energy Program on the 70's, Harper didn't agree with it and switched to PC and then when he didn't agree with Mulroney on the economy issue he switched over to the reform. Then he decided to run against Stockwell Day for the leadership of the reform and won and then went on to change the name of reform to alliance and after that to get a hold on the PMO he had to come together with the PCs, who had two seats left, after Mulroney, made a deal with McKay and renamed the party Conservatives, which got him into the PMO, while still using his alliance views.

So you really think the current CPC has such current hard-line right-wing views as the former Alliance and Reform? :lol:

So you really think the current CPC has such current hard-line right-wing views as the former Alliance and Reform? :lol:

Mulroney was for the environment and Harper is against thing that goes against the oil and gas industry, and he and the premier of Alberta don't even see the environment the same way, so you tell me, where does his views on this come from?

A few things:

1. lol Liberals. What a shocker. Please please elect Bob Rae your permanent leader... maybe the Liberals will start polling in the lower teens.

2. I find it funny that the blind Tories keep labeling Mulcair "A former Liberal!!11" over and over again as if the rest of the country doesn't understand that belonging to the Quebec Liberal Party (the only federalist option on the provincial level) is the same as belonging to the federal Liberal Party. If that's the case, then why is the current leader of the Quebec Liberals a former federal PC Leader and cabinet member?

3. It's getting more and more difficult to read Fletch's posts. Lay off the juice, man... your posts are about as hard to read as that of an 11 year old.

Speaking of currents...the right wing is not a place it's a direction and the views it's carrying are definitely moving that way too

Sorry but it was reported that Justin won't be running for leadership. He and Dominic are the best of friends and won't run against each other and besides Justin wants to spend time with his young kids.

The more he says iot the more he is going to run. I hear he even has a team sitting in the backroom waiting to make the plunge. And as I said it is all about age and they WANT trudeau, because they think the canadian people are that stupid to vote for him because of his name.

Rae is too old with too much baggage. Right now he is still doing a good job in the commons and his experience is showing on the floor but Mulcair is starting to hold his own. If Rae was to disappear from the front benches for the duration of the Liberal leadership race then the Liberals would also disappear. The best option for the party is for Bob to stay as interim leader and spokesman (and not go for the leadership) and allow the party to nominate and select their best bet for a revival of the party - Martha Ray Findlay.

I agree with that, by leaving the Liberals in the lurch now he's thinking more of himself than the future of the party, not to mention breaking a promise.

Bob Rae is pretty good in the House as a speaker and he is pretty smart. (well until he turns purple with apoplexy :)- ) Not sure about the age thing, he would only be 67 by 2015 right!

It's good to see both our NDP and CPC supporters afraid of Rae and doing drive by's... IF he decides to run, and IF he wins a convention, he will shake things up.

Rae will be easily dispatched to the dust bins, but if trudeau gets the nod and the uninformed young decide to vote because he is cool, then we are all doomed. Edited by PIK

It's good to see both our NDP and CPC supporters afraid of Rae and doing drive by's... IF he decides to run, and IF he wins a convention, he will shake things up.

Lol, he'll shake things up for sure... as long as you consider a record low vote for the Liberals as "shaking up".

LeBlanc has supposedly ruled it out anyways and there has been much speculation that Trudeau has a leadership team organized.

LeBlanc has supposedly ruled it out anyways and there has been much speculation that Trudeau has a leadership team organized.

Trudeau is really the best they have. I mean I don't think he is great and I wont be supporting him but out of all they have to choose from he is the best choice. I think that speaks more about who the Liberals are now then it does about him. Personally I see him in a debate with Harper and Mulcair just getting eaten alive.

Trudeau is really the best they have. I mean I don't think he is great and I wont be supporting him but out of all they have to choose from he is the best choice. I think that speaks more about who the Liberals are now then it does about him. Personally I see him in a debate with Harper and Mulcair just getting eaten alive.

Possibly. I don't know how strong he'd be with policy stuff but when it comes to giving a speech he's much stronger than Mulcair and Harper, holding his own in a debate would be tougher.

Possibly. I don't know how strong he'd be with policy stuff but when it comes to giving a speech he's much stronger than Mulcair and Harper, holding his own in a debate would be tougher.

I don't how important speech giving is now a days. It seems like we are in a weird shift driven by the sound bit, now has time, or wants to make the time (except for people like you and I) to sit down a listen to someone (politician especially) make a speech. I will agree though he is wonderful to listen to speak (not off the cuff) but prepared remarks he has down. Last election was made in the debates and the election before. It is time to pick someone who will stand out there as well as can unit the base (the other Liberal problem). It is tough but Justin seems like the only option they have anyway. Have you heard any other names? I mean real contenders on a national level not on a Liberal level?

I don't how important speech giving is now a days. It seems like we are in a weird shift driven by the sound bit, now has time, or wants to make the time (except for people like you and I) to sit down a listen to someone (politician especially) make a speech. I will agree though he is wonderful to listen to speak (not off the cuff) but prepared remarks he has down. Last election was made in the debates and the election before. It is time to pick someone who will stand out there as well as can unit the base (the other Liberal problem). It is tough but Justin seems like the only option they have anyway. Have you heard any other names? I mean real contenders on a national level not on a Liberal level?

Dominic LeBlanc has supposedly ruled it out but he seems to have more substance than Trudeau and can perform well in the House. David McGuinty will probably run and he use to go head to head with John Baird so he'd probably be able to perform well in a debate.

Bob Rae has made sure over the last year that Liberal MPs don't have an opportunity to speak or become well known so it's hard to know how strong members in caucus are. While they could be long shots there are people outside the caucus who will run, David Bertschi's speech to the Economic Club of Canada was supposedly strong from comments I saw. How many people would have thought Nathan Cullen would be the best debater in the NDP leadership race when it started, or that he would finish ahead of better known MPs like Peggy Nash and Paul Dewar?

Dominic LeBlanc has supposedly ruled it out but he seems to have more substance than Trudeau and can perform well in the House. David McGuinty will probably run and he use to go head to head with John Baird so he'd probably be able to perform well in a debate.

Bob Rae has made sure over the last year that Liberal MPs don't have an opportunity to speak or become well known so it's hard to know how strong members in caucus are. While they could be long shots there are people outside the caucus who will run, David Bertschi's speech to the Economic Club of Canada was supposedly strong from comments I saw. How many people would have thought Nathan Cullen would be the best debater in the NDP leadership race when it started, or that he would finish ahead of better known MPs like Peggy Nash and Paul Dewar?

I just don't see it. It sounds like a weak bench. Maybe I know little about these guys but those a poor names.