How to have a perfect lawn ... for free!

Let it grow and go to seed before the first and last cut - ie, spring and fall - and leave those clippings on the lawn.

That's it. Thick and healthy and crowds out the weeds.

I am so disgusted with commercials for chemical sh!t ... !

"Absorbent coating" my ... (gr)ass <_<

That's what the hull on natural grass seeds is for!

They grow commercial grass seed, take the water-absorbing hull off and then coat it with some poisonous synthetic sh!t! GMAFB!!! :blink:

Thx. :)

/end rant

Let it grow and go to seed before the first and last cut - ie, spring and fall - and leave those clippings on the lawn.

That's it. Thick and healthy and crowds out the weeds.

I am so disgusted with commercials for chemical sh!t ... !

"Absorbent coating" my ... (gr)ass <_<

That's what the hull on natural grass seeds is for!

They grow commercial grass seed, take the water-absorbing hull off and then coat it with some poisonous synthetic sh!t! GMAFB!!! :blink:

Thx. :)

/end rant

Also, instead of bagging your grass clippings, leave them in your lawn. Set up your mower so that it blows the clippings to one side, and mow so that on your next pass, you run over the clippings you cut previously. Your clippings will get mulched up and stay in the lawn and help it retain moisture.

This was how dad had us do it, and our lawn always looked great without any chemicals or watering.

-k

• 1 month later...

I have a question for you guys and girls, my lawn is dying this year and I can't manage to bring it back to life so far. Its starting to get patchy in places were the grass seems to have almost disappeared (almost as if squirrels tore it out, but I rarely see them on my lawn). The soil looks fine, its well watered and I've tried over seeding the entire lawn and specifically the problem spots but only some of them take.

Any suggestions?

Guest American Woman

I have a question for you guys and girls, my lawn is dying this year and I can't manage to bring it back to life so far. Its starting to get patchy in places were the grass seems to have almost disappeared (almost as if squirrels tore it out, but I rarely see them on my lawn). The soil looks fine, its well watered and I've tried over seeding the entire lawn and specifically the problem spots but only some of them take.

Any suggestions?

Is this what your lawn looks like? - Pic

Lawn Grubs

Edited to add: I see that site says the problem doesn't usually show up until late summer, but you could do the 'test' that they suggest just to be sure that grub's aren't the problem.

Edited by American Woman

Is this what your lawn looks like? - Pic

Lawn Grubs

Edited to add: I see that site says the problem doesn't usually show up until late summer, but you could do the 'test' that they suggest just to be sure that grub's aren't the problem.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately its not so much as patches of yellow or dead grass as much as small patches of no grass (think small holes). The grass around these little holes which mark the entire lawn is healthy and grows with a vigor.

I think its kinda early for grubs,.. questions, do you rake your lawn, are you on gravel,loam or clay, if you don't rake your lawn it could be thatch or dead grass which can cause mold, there's leaf spot, there's also chinch bugs. If you have grubs or chinch bugs, squirrels and other animals will dig and destroy your lawn looking for them. Grubs hate it wet grass so keep it watered and fertilized. We are on gravel so grubs love our lawn but I keep it watered and I don't have to spray for them but it wouldn't hurt to have a lawn company look at your lawn. I hired a lawn company to look after ours for two years and then I took it over and it looks great.

Guest American Woman

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately its not so much as patches of yellow or dead grass as much as small patches of no grass (think small holes). The grass around these little holes which mark the entire lawn is healthy and grows with a vigor.

That does sound rather puzzling. If it were an animal digging for bugs, like a skunk for instance, you'd think the holes would eventually fill in. Topaz may be right - maybe the best thing would be to have a lawn service company come and look at it; it must be frustrating not knowing what's causing it.

I stopped growing grass 20yrs ago...now again 1st in my new neighbourhood to break the lawn fetish and the concept is spreading at last count 7 other neighbours have followed my lead, one neighbour came down the street to thank me for giving him the motivation to do the same, something he always wanted to do but hesitated to be the first ...tossing that lawnmower was a liberating experience :D ...

I stopped growing grass 20yrs ago...now again 1st in my new neighbourhood to break the lawn fetish and the concept is spreading at last count 7 other neighbours have followed my lead, one neighbour came down the street to thank me for giving him the motivation to do the same, something he always wanted to do but hesitated to be the first ...tossing that lawnmower was a liberating experience :D ...

May I ask what your growing (if anything) instead?

May I ask what your growing (if anything) instead?

perennials of all sorts...trees, shrubs, vines, ground cover, flowers, fruit, veggies, herbs all in a natural setting....maintenance is simple, water very very occasionally, weed issues are minimal...

We grow our grass starting out hydroponically, then once the plants are well established we move them outdoors.

my cousin planted "grass" in our grannies flower garden because he couldn't grow them in his apartment, grannie at 90yrs old diligently watered and weeded them never knowing what they were only remarking that they never had flowers...

Well if its good soil, and youre giving it the right ammount of nutrients and still having that problem, you need to aerate. Rent a power aerator at your local equipment rentals outfit and go over your whole lawn a bunch of times. It punchs zillions of tiny holes in the soil and loosens it up so that roots can penetrate and get oxygen.

Are these bare patches hard? I bet they are...

Well if its good soil, and youre giving it the right ammount of nutrients and still having that problem, you need to aerate. Rent a power aerator at your local equipment rentals outfit and go over your whole lawn a bunch of times. It punchs zillions of tiny holes in the soil and loosens it up so that roots can penetrate and get oxygen.

Are these bare patches hard? I bet they are...

Come to think of it, the soil is pretty hard (even water doesn't sink in quickly). Thanks for the advice :)

Come to think of it, the soil is pretty hard (even water doesn't sink in quickly). Thanks for the advice :)

Home Depot rents them. Theres a picture of the tool there so that you know what it looks like.

http://homedepotrents.com/toolschool/aerate_your_lawn.asp

Go over it a whole bunch of times... it will make your lawn look rough for a week or so, but its the best thing anyone can do for their lawn.

After the soil is all loosened up feed&seed the bare patches again.

Guest American Woman

It's odd that the grass around the small holes grows with a vigor if the problem is simply need of aerating, but that couldn't hurt - unless you have an automatic sprinkler system, and there are better times of the year to do it; and some equipment is more effective than others.

Dont discount the grub problem, it is very bad in the city since the ban is now almost 8 yrs along.Idiot politicians.

But then again....super hard? Maybe you have too much clay?

Guest Manny

It's odd that the grass around the small holes grows with a vigor if the problem is simply need of aerating, but that couldn't hurt - unless you have an automatic sprinkler system, and there are better times of the year to do it; and some equipment is more effective than others.

Sounds like dog/ animal feces or something like that. If they poop on your lawn, it can kill the grass on that spot but the area around it gets a dose of fertilizer.

Guest American Woman

Sounds like dog/ animal feces or something like that. If they poop on your lawn, it can kill the grass on that spot but the area around it gets a dose of fertilizer.

Animal pee can kill the lawn, too - but it's the reference to "holes" that has me confused; sounds like animals digging for something (bugs/whatever). I know skunks dug holes in my lawn when I had grubs, but that wasn't until the fall - but I did have patches that didn't grow well during the summer, no matter what I did - and that's where the grubs were. Once I did have a problem with squirrels digging for acorns that had become embedded in the ground, too....

I seeded my lawn with clover this year for something different. Read up online about it. Since my grass was brown but the clover was more drought resistant, maintaining it's green colour.

The sun beats down on my front lawn all day and I don't feel good about draining aquifers just to keep it green because that's just retarded.

That and I don't really care for the "Final Solution" lawn of nothing but grass.

Backyard is fine because a swale runs though it and it is more shaded keeping it greener longer.

My favourite lawn that I've seen was just a bunch of low growth evergreens taking up the entire front yard. It actually looked nice, wilderness like but not overgrown. If It wasn't for my kids needing room to run around I'd probably do something different like a xeriscape.

Guest Peeves

I spread Ammonium nitrate on the last snow of the season, (or as close as possible) It's high nitrogen and cheap, and as the snow melts it leaches in.It's too strong to put directly on the grass.

Edited by Peeves

• 1 month later...