Ottawa approves Conrad Black’s request to live in Canada

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today in the House the NDP brought this up and asked Kenney why was he keeping a Canadian born black man vs Conrad Black a British born, IN the country and not the Canadian? Kenney said the black man had killed a US police man and that HE won't be making the decision on whether Conrad Black comes in or not. The rule is if you been in prison, you aren't allowed in, unless the seating government changes it mind, so since Black is rich, a conservative, he'll probably be allowed in.

Kenney sounds like he is informed in both of these cases but still claims that he will not be making the decision?

Like the saying goes,if something doesn't add up then someone is not telling the truth.

I have had personal dealings with immigration Canada and I do not trust the conservatives or Kenney!

WWWTT

Don't misspell a joker, WWWTT, as you might get joshed... At least you can spell you're name right ! :P

Wow Mike this is an odd comment coming from you.Sounds like your getting more risky!

Good for you

WWWTT

On Power and Politics, Olivia Chow said that the Conservatives' decisions on who to let in and who to not let in back into the country is based on ideology. Conversely, isn't Chow's and the NDP's opposition to or approval of who is let back in not based on their own ideology? I think yes.

In that case then the Canadian constitution is based upon "Ideology" and not principals.

WWWTT

Gary Freeman is not a cop killer.He shot a police officer.

Kenney called Freeman a cop killer.

Dumb mistake for a minister,obviously he was going for the drama.

WWWTT

Gary Freeman is not a cop killer.He shot a police officer.

Kenney called Freeman a cop killer.

Dumb mistake for a minister,obviously he was going for the drama.

WWWTT

Yes , you are right about Freeman, and I also would like to correct that statment, I thought it true because Kenney had said the he was. Conrad is staying in Canada on a yearly bases but I'm sure the Tories will let him stay as long as he likes. Perhaps he can get a job with the Tory party, he would fit right in.

For you and the squid......

Think of this, if we dont let criminals in then we lose out .....

The Rolling Stones

Nelson Mandela

GW Bush

Roger Clinton (oh wait, he was pardoned- we lose when he comes here)

The point being that plenty of people in the arts and entertainment industry would not be allowed.

I didn't know those people wanted to apply for residency. In any case, I'm not saying keep them out. I think Conrad Black should be allowed to be with his family. What I don't like is the double-standard they applied when asked about Freeman.

What about those of us who don't want to see Omar Khadr back in this country nor Lord Black of the Crowbar Hotel???

Personally, I think Khadr has it in for Westerners big time and that includes Canada for not having bailed him out of Guantanamo. So in terms of my own and my family's personal security, I feel less threatened by Black's return than Khadr's. In terms of the chances I become a victim of potential future white collar crime perpetrated by Black, no worries. I'm no longer an investor and don't intend to be. Plus he's getting old and his wife probably has enough money to fund their retirement. All in all, I know who I don't want moving in next door.

Personally, I think Khadr has it in for Westerners big time and that includes Canada for not having bailed him out of Guantanamo. So in terms of my own and my family's personal security, I feel less threatened by Black's return than Khadr's. In terms of the chances I become a victim of potential future white collar crime perpetrated by Black, no worries. I'm no longer an investor and don't intend to be. Plus he's getting old and his wife probably has enough money to fund their retirement. All in all, I know who I don't want moving in next door.

So what you are saying is that you feel threaten by Omar that he may do something to you and your family? Do you know him? Live in his neighbour.? Last I heard he wanted to come home, finish his time and go to school to become a lawyer. Does that sound like a dangerous guy? There's more dangerous people within Canada than Omar are you worried about them too?

So what you are saying is that you feel threaten by Omar that he may do something to you and your family? Do you know him? Live in his neighbour.?

I see my post went right over your head Topaz.

Last I heard he wanted to come home, finish his time and go to school to become a lawyer.

Feel free to believe him.

There's more dangerous people within Canada than Omar are you worried about them too?

Yes.

Neither of those guys even make my Top 1000 list of things that are a threat to me personally.

Im a lot more worried about the people we DONT know about. These guys are celebrities.

I suspect the same people that think Omar Khadr, a jihadist and murderer, should be allowed back into Canada don't think Conrad Black in.

I've got no problem with Conrad Black coming back. It sounds like prison has changed him for the better, he's even more outspoken against Stephan Harper's crime agenda for example.

Don't be surprised if Omar Khadr comes back and in similar fashion becomes an outspoken critic of jihad.

You have to allow for the possibility of redemption.

I didn't know you were privy to people's personal thoughts and feelings. That's a cool skill.

I think a traitor who shunned this country is still a traitor...

One's an Islamofascist...The other a self important buffoon who seems to be a Canadian of convenience...

Neither deserve citzenship at all...

I think even though Kenney said he had nothing to do with Black coming back, I like to know the reason Black can come back and others can't?

I picked up some hints that address your question through information provided by the media.

Temporary resident permits are issued to those who are considered inadmissible to Canada, but have a "compelling reason" to be in the country, according to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

For a permit to be granted, the applicant's need to enter Canada "must outweigh the health or safety risks to Canadian society," the site states.

---

He said it's not uncommon to grant such permits to people with criminal records, if they were found guilty of non-violent crimes and if they're considered to be at a low risk of re-offending.

Kenney said officials scrutinize resident permit applications on a case-by-case basis using strict criteria. Family ties to Canada and humanitarian concerns are also considered in the application process, he said.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120501/conrad-black-canada-120501/20120501/?hub=EdmontonHome

I think even though Kenney said he had nothing to do with Black coming back, I like to know the reason Black can come back and others can't?

He pissed off some american,s my understanding in canada ,he would not even been charged, it was political.But I hear mulcair calling black a con cronie I guess omar is athe NDP cronie. I wonder which party wins the bidding war on whom, gets omar for spokesperson in the next election. Go to afghanistan , kill a medic and come home and retire,sickening. Edited by PIK

Guest Peeves

Yet another anti-immigrant thread, I see... ;)

I don't see anti- immigrant threads here. I see tightened up immigrant/refugee threads here. I guess it's from the angle or from the side on which they are viewed. Canada needs and encourages immigrants.

As for Black. Cretien forced his action, choice. I don't defend Black for that, but there are many cases where special allowances are made for convicted criminals...look at sports figures alone.

Black is not on my list of honor that's for sure, but I see no more a stretch allowing him an exception than any other, (some for violence) convicted individual.

I'm surprised Lord Black wasn't discharged to Great Briton first.

Maybe he should now be known as XConrad Black?

Guest Peeves

Other non Canadians can and do.

Known convicted criminals who are not Canadian citizens should not be allowed in to the country.

You're going to turn back the Rolling Stones if they want to do a concert in Toronto? How many Hollywood celebrities and rock stars have convictions in their past?

So what you are saying is that you feel threaten by Omar that he may do something to you and your family? Do you know him? Live in his neighbour.? Last I heard he wanted to come home, finish his time and go to school to become a lawyer. Does that sound like a dangerous guy? There's more dangerous people within Canada than Omar are you worried about them too?

Let him live next to you then. I would not be happy to find out a jihadist was living in my neighborhood.

I wouldn't worry Black was going to blow up my grocery store, though, so I seriously don't care about him coming in.

He pissed off some american,s my understanding in canada ,he would not even been charged, it was political.But I hear mulcair calling black a con cronie I guess omar is athe NDP cronie. I wonder which party wins the bidding war on whom, gets omar for spokesperson in the next election. Go to afghanistan , kill a medic and come home and retire,sickening.

Mulcair better watch his mouth. Black has a history of filing (and winning) lawsuits against anyone and everyone who makes insulting statements about him to the media.

Mulcair better watch his mouth.

I was more than surprised when Mulcair played the race card regarding the cop shooter Gary Freeman and Conrad Black. Mulcair's claim of Conservative racism and preferential treatment came on the heels of Kenney telling the media that the decision about Black's return to Canada was made not by the government but by Immigration officials. Harper capitalized on Mulcair's words to demand an apology.

NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair should apologize to public servants for suggesting that they were “biased, prejudiced, and even racist” in granting former media mogul Conrad Black a temporary residency permit, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Wednesday.

---

Mulcair compared Black’s case to that of Gary Freeman, an American-born man who has been denied re-entry into Canada because of a criminal record. The 63-year-old was involved with the Black Panthers, and was extradited to the U.S. in 2008 and pleaded guilty to shooting a police officer in 1969. After serving a 30-day sentence, he was denied re-entry to Canada, where his wife and four children live.

“It is a clear case of a double standard, one for an American black man from Chicago, another for a British white man coming out of federal penitentiary,” Mulcair said.

Harper was unimpressed with the comparison, saying the NDP leader was accusing officials of being “biased, prejudiced, and even racist . . . without any evidence” during question period Wednesday.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05/02/harper-demands-mulcair-apologize-for-suggestion-that-conrad-black-decision-was-racist/

In the quest for which party stands up the most for public servants, Harper scores on this one.

Mulcair better watch his mouth. Black has a history of filing (and winning) lawsuits against anyone and everyone who makes insulting statements about him to the media.

Mulcair cannot be sued for the same reason that Kenney cannot,they made their comments in the house of commons.-

As well why would Black sue Mulcair?Mulcair had only mentioned Black as in an example.

Where as Kenney specifically called Freeman a cop killer,Freeman never killed a police officer.

WWWTT