Ottawa approves Conrad Black’s request to live in Canada

Ottawa approves Conrad Black’s request to live in Canada

Ottawa is granting former media baron Conrad Black permission to reside in Canada despite the fact he gave up his citizenship more than a decade ago and has since served jail time in Florida for fraud and obstruction of justice.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-approves-conrad-blacks-request-to-live-in-canada/article2419229/

Edited by mentalfloss

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Despite"? Of what relevance is his lack of citizenship to a normal visa appication made by (at least) tens of thousands of non-citizens?

Always good to have your insight.....doesnt the fact that he is a convicted criminal mean he has to get special clearance since he is not a citizen?

Guest Manny

Sadly, as noted on the CBC this morning, there is no precedent here. Other non-Canadian convicts have been let into the country in the past, who've committed more serious crimes than Conrad Black. It boggles the mind...

Today in the House the NDP brought this up and asked Kenney why was he keeping a Canadian born black man vs Conrad Black a British born, IN the country and not the Canadian? Kenney said the black man had killed a US police man and that HE won't be making the decision on whether Conrad Black comes in or not. The rule is if you been in prison, you aren't allowed in, unless the seating government changes it mind, so since Black is rich, a conservative, he'll probably be allowed in.

Today in the House the NDP brought this up and asked Kenney why was he keeping a Canadian born black man vs Conrad Black a British born, IN the country and not the Canadian? Kenney said the black man had killed a US police man and that HE won't be making the decision on whether Conrad Black comes in or not. The rule is if you been in prison, you aren't allowed in, unless the seating government changes it mind, so since Black is rich, a conservative, he'll probably be allowed in.

Saw this too, and it looks like Mulcair scored pretty big in the house for making the call.

I suspect the same people that think Omar Khadr, a jihadist and murderer, should be allowed back into Canada don't think Conrad Black in.

He gave up his citizenship because Jean Chretien is a petty like D-bag of a man.

I don't want Omar Al Quaeda back in this country...

But I also think Lord Black of Nowheresville is an elitist wannabe limey D-bag...

Let the Brits have him...

Edited by Jack Weber

I don't want Omar Al Quaeda back in this country...

But I also think Lord Black of Nowheresville is an elitist wannabe limey D-bag...

Let the Brits have him...

And there is the conundrum!

Lord Black is not a citizen , Omar is.

One needs special dispensation to get in, the other can walk thru the front door.

I suspect the same people that think Omar Khadr, a jihadist and murderer, should be allowed back into Canada don't think Conrad Black in.

He gave up his citizenship because Jean Chretien is a petty like D-bag of a man.

Stick up for the Criminal.

I am sure the Nanny Harper will take care of Conrad.

He's no longer a Canadian citizen and convicted criminals are usually not let in.

For you and the squid......

Think of this, if we dont let criminals in then we lose out .....

The Rolling Stones

Nelson Mandela

GW Bush

Roger Clinton (oh wait, he was pardoned- we lose when he comes here)

The point being that plenty of people in the arts and entertainment industry would not be allowed.

On Power and Politics, Olivia Chow said that the Conservatives' decisions on who to let in and who to not let in back into the country is based on ideology. Conversely, isn't Chow's and the NDP's opposition to or approval of who is let back in not based on their own ideology? I think yes.

On Power and Politics, Olivia Chow said that the Conservatives' decisions on who to let in and who to not let in back into the country is based on ideology. Conversely, isn't Chow's and the NDP's opposition to or approval of who is let back in not based on their own ideology? I think yes.

What about those of us who don't want to see Omar Khadr back in this country nor Lord Black of the Crowbar Hotel???

And while I agree that it is the left who feel sympathy for an Islamofascist scumbag like Khadr,it is the right who are fawing over their elitist,criminal,fallen "hero"...