Bad News for Harper Haters

Mostly Full time. :D

Lemme guess, they're mostly McJobs in the service sector right? :rolleyes:

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1156880--unemployment-rate-drops-as-82-000-jobs-added-in-march?bn=1

OTTAWA—After months of stagnant or even falling employment, Canada’s economy began churning out jobs again last month — and in a big way — adding 82,300 workers to the labour force.

The eye-popping gain, almost all in full-time work, was about eight times economists’ expectations and dropped the unemployment rate two notches to 7.2 per cent.

The report was unexpectedly positive and the Canadian dollar, which had been done before Statistics Canada released the number, jumped 0.29 cent to 100.65 cents U.S. after the announcement.

Canada has not had a month of significant job gains since September, but that performance was largely due to make-up from summer losses in the education field. During that month, the jobless rate also hit 7.2 per cent, the lowest mark since the recession.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we are into April, spring and summer jobs will increase but many businesses are still hiring only part timers like the service industry. For sure, Alberta is increasing their jobs since they want to bring foreign workers in, but there still too many workers on EI and Canadians that have given up looking that don't get EI. Check the welfare rolls in each province. Harper is coming across more thast he the PM of Alberta and the West than the rest and let's see after the Alberta's election, were Harper time is spent creating jobs. BTW, if I'm wrong then I'm wrong.

Since we are into April, spring and summer jobs will increase but many businesses are still hiring only part timers like the service industry. For sure, Alberta is increasing their jobs since they want to bring foreign workers in, but there still too many workers on EI and Canadians that have given up looking that don't get EI. Check the welfare rolls in each province. Harper is coming across more thast he the PM of Alberta and the West than the rest and let's see after the Alberta's election, were Harper time is spent creating jobs. BTW, if I'm wrong then I'm wrong.

Did you read the report? Most of these jobs are FULLTIME!!!! Many in Ontario.

From what I've heard Oilsand employment ramps up in the Fall.

Edited by Boges

Lemme guess, they're mostly McJobs in the service sector right? :rolleyes:

This is a jobless recovery, remember? :lol:

Meanwhile, unemployment is up in 5/10 of the provinces.

I'm not really sure what you're insinuating here.

No, they're mostly in the public sector. (Insert face-palm smiley here)

It said 2 to 1 private to public sector jobs.

Lots of public sector jobs about to be lost in the federal sector. CBC said it's laying off 650 people. Do those count as public sector jobs?

Lots of public sector jobs about to be lost in the federal sector. CBC said it's laying off 650 people. Do those count as public sector jobs?

If they're paid for with tax dollars.

I'd like to see a better breakdown of what private to public jobs means because I'm betting it's more a case of public to private jobs through privatization and governments using contractors as opposed to their own employees.

I'm not really sure what you're insinuating here.

If the federal government is responsible for governing the entire federation and Harper wants to take credit for job creation, then he needs to answer for jobs in the entire nation. Half the provinces have seen job losses. Even more provinces saw insignicant increases. So, it's clear that he's not in Ottawa to govern for Canada. He's only there to look after Alberta.

Edited by cybercoma

If the federal government is responsible for governing the entire federation and Harper wants to take credit for job creation, then he needs to answer for jobs in the entire nation. Half the provinces have seen job losses. Even more provinces saw insignicant increases. So, it's clear that he's not in Ottawa to govern for Canada. He's only there to look after Alberta.

This report said many jobs were created in Ontario and Quebec.

If they're paid for with tax dollars.

I'd like to see a better breakdown of what private to public jobs means because I'm betting it's more a case of public to private jobs through privatization and governments using contractors as opposed to their own employees.

That's exactly what it is. People seem to think hospitals are run by the governments in the provinces. They're not. They're mostly private. So any healthcare jobs that are created would be private jobs, although the hospitals are typically non-profit and funded by the governments.

In any case, if it's "health care and social assistance; information, culture and recreation; and public administration" that got the jobs, it sounds a hell of a lot like provinces creating jobs rather than the federal government.

:lol: Spin away. This was, generally, the private sector creating jobs, not governments of any kind.

Jobs were gained in most of the larger provinces. The eastern provinces are very susceptible to seasonal changes, as is BC. That pretty much explains the negative parts of the report.

Meanwhile, unemployment is up in 5/10 of the provinces.

Although I find it funny that Harper's supporters blame everything but Harper when jobs were down, then as soon as they're up it's all "heil Harper!"

Wake up---- your coma is supposed to be over if you can be awake to type-------- The world in undergoing a financial crunch. Be aware of it or your hangars could get caught in it. Just imagine the present condition of Canada if Harper weren't at the helm. The Libs would have a hard time finding money to steal & the NDP (especially with Rae) would have increased the deficit to 1 trillion.

Thanks Steven.

I sure hope they don't cut shows like "Little House" or the Televangelists or especially the Video-mertials about egg cookers--- those are the top draws for the CBC

Wake up---- your coma is supposed to be over if you can be awake to type-------- The world in undergoing a financial crunch. Be aware of it or your hangars could get caught in it. Just imagine the present condition of Canada if Harper weren't at the helm. The Libs would have a hard time finding money to steal & the NDP (especially with Rae) would have increased the deficit to 1 trillion.

Thanks Steven.

The NDP has a better record on balancing budgets and creating surpluses than the Conservatives do. Thanks for the glimpse into the fantasy world that you live in though.

Despite the big jump in March, Gulati said the market was simply catching up after either weak growth or job losses in recent months, and that job gains over 2012 will likely even out to an average of between 10,000 and 20,000 a month.

Gains in March were spread across a host of industries, including health care, culture and recreation and public administration. The natural resources industry -- the fastest growing in the country -- continued to see strong demand for labour. Modest increases were also seen in Canada's manufacturing sector.

Most of the jobs were created in Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba.

Canadian youth are still struggling to find work. The unemployment rate for 15- to 24-year-old is 13.9%, remaining essentially unchanged since July 2009.

Employment edges up in March: StatsCan

Edited by mentalfloss