Do you think soccer is a girl sport?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why people are offended at people who fly the flags of their country of heritage during soccer tournaments. We're all Canadians, we wouldn't be here if we didn't love Canada, But we suck at soccer, so during international soccer tournaments there's nothing wrong with people adopting different nations.

Even people who have several generations of Canadians in their family can cheer for England. Or people that come from other Commonwealth nations that have a link to England.

I watched the second half of the Portugal game yesterday in a Portuguese deli and it was very exciting.

Wonderful...

On Canada Day,however??

Wonderful...

On Canada Day,however??

Canada Day happens every year.

If Germany, Portugal, Italy, England, France or any team other than Spain wins the Euro Cup, that's really something to celebrate if it's your heritage.

It just so happens both are on the same day.

Sorry to break this to you, but more people are paying attention to the NFL and the NHL in Canada than are paying attention to the MLS which is a second-rate soccer league. Many people are fans of the EPL and fill bars on a Saturday morning to watch the best version of the sport but that doesn't mean the sport is mainstream in North America like the big four (hockey, football, basketball and baseball) are when it comes to following the professional versions of the sport.

sorry to break this to ya the MLS is moving into baseball territory for popularity Seattle Sounders recording average attendance that would place it 7th in MLB for attendance, half of MLS tams recording attendance figures that put them into MLB range...and MLS attendance has risen every year for eight consecutive years, surprise MLS is mainstream...soccer is huge in N america because you can't contemplate that in your mind it can't be possible...

MLS quality is better than many pretend experts know...

Can't watch soccer. very slow on the action, and very high in the theatrics. It's really the theatrics that prevent me from watching them.

no what prevents you from watching is you have no clue what is going on, the sports equivalent of rocket science to you...the same reason I don't watch another of the worlds most popular sports, cricket, I haven't slightest idea what's going on... Edited by wyly

I don't know why people are offended at people who fly the flags of their country of heritage during soccer tournaments. We're all Canadians, we wouldn't be here if we didn't love Canada, But we suck at soccer, so during international soccer tournaments there's nothing wrong with people adopting different nations.

Even people who have several generations of Canadians in their family can cheer for England. Or people that come from other Commonwealth nations that have a link to England.

I watched the second half of the Portugal game yesterday in a Portuguese deli and it was very exciting.

I live in calgary but I never cheer on the Flames, always disliked the team so I've no issue with people cheering on the country of their ancestry...what I don't like is when immigrant canadians cheer on their old country vs canada that real annoys f*** out of me, I'm an immigrant and would never choose my old country over canada, I was very impartial when it did happen cheering for both...

what's really dumb is people driving around with flags on their cars, a 5% decrease in fuel mileage for each flag...

no what prevents you from watching is you have no clue what is going on, the sports equivalent of rocket science to you...the same reason I don't watch another of the worlds most popular sports, cricket, I haven't slightest idea what's going on...

Well said...I also don't care to take a nanosecond of my time understand why someone would want to kick a ball around a field for an hour and a half...

no what prevents you from watching is you have no clue what is going on, the sports equivalent of rocket science to you...the same reason I don't watch another of the worlds most popular sports, cricket, I haven't slightest idea what's going on...

Oh please. Two teams kick a ball around and try to get it into the goal. It's like many other arena type sports (football, soccer, hockey) However when a football player or a hockey player goes down, in many cases they get right back up.

But if these MEN are going to act like GIRLS, then call it a girl sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-apigHJC3I

I find this a sexist comment How are they acting like girls? I've never seen girls do that....

Are they acting like wimps? Hell yes. Girls? Hardly.

Oh please. Two teams kick a ball around and try to get it into the goal. It's like many other arena type sports (football, soccer, hockey) However when a football player or a hockey player goes down, in many cases they get right back up.

and you would know anything soccer because you have actually played??? no you've never played, you're only experience in life is sitting on your arse getting fat watching sports on tv...and somehow that infantile logic makes you an expert qualifying you to make disparaging comments on a sport you know absolutely nothing about...your opinion is equivalent of a child who has no relevant experience in life and worth zero...

Edited by wyly

I find this a sexist comment How are they acting like girls? I've never seen girls do that....

Are they acting like wimps? Hell yes. Girls? Hardly.

amazing how everyone feels they're psychic and are able to assess the level of pain others feel on tv, astounding mental abilities you all share...

amazing how everyone feels they're psychic and are able to assess the level of pain others feel on tv, astounding mental abilities you all share...

I love soccer. Great game today!

But, as a fan, I have to say that soccer has an issue with diving and play-acting.

Guest Manny

But, as a fan, I have to say that soccer has an issue with diving and play-acting.

I don't mind watching it, but I wouldn't call todays game between England and Italy a great game. 120 minutes with no goal. In fact barely a meaningful shot on net, England with only about 10 shots up to the end of 90 minutes. Both teams with no real forward power.

BORING

Edited by Manny

I don't mind watching it, but I wouldn't call todays game between England and Italy a great game. 120 minutes with no goal. In fact barely a meaningful shot on net, England with only about 10 shots up to the end of 90 minutes. Both teams with no real forward power.

BORING

It wasn't a classic... But I didn't find it boring.

Guest Manny

Ok fine. I did watch the whole thing, with my old Dad and he enjoyed it. He's German and certainly looking forward to the next round.

North American sports fans demand more action. More goals. We like hockey, fast paced with fighting. We like basketball, with scores into the hundreds. Quick thrills. The antitheses of a 1-0 soccer game. Too cerebral, too many philosophers on the field.

as a neutral it was entertaining, better team won...
as an experienced coach, player and fan there is no issue with diving, it's HUGELY exaggerated by media...players cheat in every sport soccer is no worse than any other...

I don't mind watching it, but I wouldn't call todays game between England and Italy a great game. 120 minutes with no goal.

BORING

hmmmm but a baseball no hitter is so exciting and meaningful it makes the evening news? Basketball teams putting 200pts on the board (wow there's a challenge)is meaningful? and NFL/CFL being awarded 6 points every time they score and rewarded 3 points for almost being able to score is meaningful?, that the average soccer match has far more attempts to score than any NFL/CFL game hope for...
In fact barely a meaningful shot on net, England with only about 10 shots up to the end of 90 minutes. Both teams with no real forward power.
and Italy had 30 shots, a couple of goalposts struck a few great saves by both keepers, sounds like a NHL game...there could have just as easily 5-6 goals scored...a great save is the equal to that of a great goal, sometimes even better... Edited by wyly

It was immensely boring. The first few minutes were aight but a majority of the second half and extra time was England just playing defense.

They looked as if they were just playing for the shootout. They deserved to lose IMHO.

I am going to respond to this again.

and you would know anything soccer because you have actually played??? no you've never played, you're only experience in life is sitting on your arse getting fat watching sports on tv

You think I am fat? But I've been trying to work out. :( Also, I don't watch sports. It's just not that interesting to me. Would there be a difference if my fat ass was actually at the arena watching the game? Do these people really need to play the game to be fans of it? Do I need to participate the theatrics in order to understand the theatrics?

...and somehow that infantile logic makes you an expert qualifying you to make disparaging comments on a sport you know absolutely nothing about..

Seems like I hit a nerve here.

your opinion is equivalent of a child who has no relevant experience in life and worth zero...

Soccer overall is not important in life, and really is worth zero to me. So you are correct there.

I am going to respond to this again.

You think I am fat? But I've been trying to work out. :( Also, I don't watch sports. It's just not that interesting to me. Would there be a difference if my fat ass was actually at the arena watching the game? Do these people really need to play the game to be fans of it? Do I need to participate the theatrics in order to understand the theatrics?

Seems like I hit a nerve here.

your opinion is equivalent of a child who has no relevant experience in life and worth zero...

Soccer overall is not important in life, and really is worth zero to me. So you are correct there.

you don't watch sports so you know nothing about them, but here you are casting disparaging remarks on a topic you admittedly know nothing about...so you to admit flaming a thread for no other reason then to stir the pot...

and ya you do need to play a sport to understand it, be a fan and contribute semi-intelligent posts regarding it...