Do you think soccer is a girl sport?

Guest Manny

What do think is the reason why the sport has not really caught on in Canada?

Low level of action, not enough goals, and too many Euro-sexuals falling on their knees screaming as though they need to go to the hospital, only to get up and walk away seconds later with absolutely nothing wrong with them. That don't impress me.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rugby players aren't built like football players .. they are more conditioned like soccer players

Totally incorrect

Rugby players are divided into two main positions: Backs and Forwards.

Forwards are big, strong, muscular players that lift people up during line-outs and participate in the scrums.

Backs participate in wing line formations, they are smaller and faster players. Perhaps you can compare them to soccer players but that's way to simplistic.

All rugby players need to be able to tackle and run for long periods of time, it's a unique skill set.

Edited by Boges

What do think is the reason why the sport has not really caught on in Canada?

It's pretty popular. Canada is just not elite at it like we are in Hockey.

Toronto FC was wildly popular when they first came on the scene but 5-years of no playoffs and MLSE prices have reduced the interest a bit. But now there are 3 Canadian MLS teams.

TFC played a CONCACAF Champions League game in the Rogers centre game recently, the crowd was pretty good.

The increasing immigrant population have moved interests in traditional sports like Football, Baseball and Hockey and into Cricket, Rugby and Soccer.

My highschool in multicultural Mississauga was better known for Rugby, we didn't even have a football team after my first year.

Edited by Boges

Guest Derek L

Totally incorrect

Rugby players are divided into two main positions: Backs and Forwards.

Forwards are big, strong, muscular players that lift people up during line-outs and participate in the scrums.

Backs participate in wing line formations, they are smaller and faster players. Perhaps you can compare them to soccer players but that's way to simplistic.

All rugby players need to be able to tackle and run for long periods of time, it's a unique skill set.

Yup, the former prop for the Bokkie, Os du Randt, was 6'3" ~290 pounds........

Guest Derek L

It's pretty popular. Canada is just not elite at it like we are in Hockey.

Toronto FC was wildly popular when they first came on the scene but 5-years of no playoffs and MLSE prices have reduced the interest a bit. But now there are 3 Canadian MLS teams.

TFC played a CONCACAF Champions League game in the Rogers centre game recently, the crowd was pretty good.

The increasing immigrant population have moved interests in traditional sports like Football, Baseball and Soccer and into Cricket, Rugby and Soccer.

My highschool in multicultural Mississauga was better known for Rugby, we didn't even have a football team after my first year.

Also a good point……..I grew up in Victoria, and Rugby is popular over there also………For those that didn’t know, the CFL’s Grey Cup, was originally a Rugby trophy……….You never know, if the popularity of the sport increased again in Canada, who’s to say it couldn’t be again……..Canada’s national team is currently ranked by the IRB 13th, right behind Scotland and a few slots ahead of Fiji, both countries were it’s considerably more popular………

Imagine if Pro Football was played without pads:

Edited by Derek L

Also a good point……..I grew up in Victoria, and Rugby is popular over there also………For those that didn’t know, the CFL’s Grey Cup, was originally a Rugby trophy……….You never know, if the popularity of the sport increased again in Canada, who’s to say it couldn’t be again……..Canada’s national team is currently ranked by the IRB 13th, right behind Scotland and a few slots ahead of Fiji, both countries were it’s considerably more popular………

Pro Football will always be popular in Canada simply because we're next the the US where the sport is the undisputed champion. In the Toronto area the NFL is fare more popular than the CFL.

The Rugby, is football without pads comparison doesn't work for me. The pads and helmets actually make football more dangerous.

There's no dynamic of receivers looking at a ball while a free safety is taking him out at the knees or where a QB gets killed from their blindside by a defensive end. And because blocking is illegal in Rugby you don't see anything like a running back trying to break through a defensive line.

Rugby and American football are similar but at the same time they are very different games.

Also a good point……..I grew up in Victoria, and Rugby is popular over there also………For those that didnt know, the CFLs Grey Cup, was originally a Rugby trophy……….You never know, if the popularity of the sport increased again in Canada, whos to say it couldnt be again……..Canadas national team is currently ranked by the IRB 13th, right behind Scotland and a few slots ahead of Fiji, both countries were its considerably more popular………

Very true...One of the leagues in Ontario before the formation of the CFL was the ORFU (Ontario Rugby Football Union)...

Fortunately,the sport evolved into the 12 on 12,3 downs for 10 yards,110x 65 yards sport many enjoy now...

Rugby ain't comin' back in North America to replace football anytime soon...

Edited by Jack Weber

Guest Derek L

Very true...One of the leagues in Ontario before the formation of the CFL was the ORFU (Ontario Rugby Football Union)...

Fortunately,the sport evolved into the 12 on 12,3 downs for 10 yards,110x 65 yards sport many enjoy now...

Rugby ain't comin' back in North America to replace football anytime soon...

I doubt it would ever replace the NFL here.......the CFL, who knows.....

There's no dynamic of receivers looking at a ball while a free safety is taking him out at the knees or where a QB gets killed from their blindside by a defensive end. And because blocking is illegal in Rugby you don't see anything like a running back trying to break through a defensive line.

Actually,there is rapidly going to be no dynamic for that at any level of football...

There seems,at least to me,to limit the violence in the game to promote offence over defence...

I doubt it would ever replace the NFL here.......the CFL, who knows.....

Not going to happen...At least in our lifetime...

You dismiss the area that feeds CFL football the most and that's minor,high school,and,CIS football...

All are on the rise in popularity and in many areas,with immigrant kids...

A few things:

Per the thread title, why does the OP consider soccer a "girl's sport?" What's more, why is that a pejorative term?

Also, I lover soccer, but I get that it's not for everyone. What I don't understand is why fans of other sports (like American throwball) feel compelled to run the game down. It says a lot more about them than it does about soccer.

A few things:

Per the thread title, why does the OP consider soccer a "girl's sport?" What's more, why is that a pejorative term?

Also, I lover soccer, but I get that it's not for everyone. What I don't understand is why fans of other sports (like American throwball) feel compelled to run the game down. It says a lot more about them than it does about soccer.

Well it could be that there's a fallacy in saying it's the "World's Game" on the merits of how compelling a sport it is.

It's the world's game because anyone that can find a remotely round object the size of a human's head can play soccer.

Sports that have global appeal tend to be simple games that require little equipment: Baseball, Cricket, Volleyball and Basketball are other examples.

A few things:

Well said, Black Dog.

There are more Canadian kids - boys and girls - playing soccer than ANY other organized sport.

It takes skill, improves fitness, is easy to fund (compared to eg hockey), isn't aggressive, involves little physical contact (minimal injury), and provides lifelong and international opportunities for both professional and recreational sport.

World Cup time in my neighbourhood is lots of fun, with the mainly Italian and Portugese fans filling the bars and patios and streets with flags and exuberance.

Soccer is great, and the 'sour grapes' crowd here who prefer to see 'manly men' pummel each other on the gridiron or the ice are a sad lot of neanderthals, imo. :)

Of course, there is the issue of violence among rival fans ... but not in the sport itself.

I think we need to grow up and stop glorifying sports that cause permanent physical and brain damage to players. It's not what we want our kids to emulate.

I think we need to grow up and stop glorifying sports that cause permanent physical and brain damage to players. It's not what we want our kids to emulate.

This response is understandable because you likely have low levels of testosterone.

Most boys like watching violent stuff. Whether it be boxing, or MMA, or football, or violent movies/video games. Doesn't mean they'll grow up to be violent.

Even Soccer isn't without its risk. Using your head to propel the ball isn't always safe. That's why some want kids to wear helmets playing the beautiful game.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120225/mtl_headed_for_trouble_120225/20120301/?hub=MontrealHome

Head impact comes with the turf and frequently leads players to suffer concussion. In fact soccer's brain injury toll is considered to be as bad as severe as that of hockey or football.

The sport has now been classified by the American Academy of Pediatricians as a contact collision sport.

Edited by Boges

Well it could be that there's a fallacy in saying it's the "World's Game" on the merits of how compelling a sport it is.

It's the world's game because anyone that can find a remotely round object the size of a human's head can play soccer.

Sports that have global appeal tend to be simple games that require little equipment: Baseball, Cricket, Volleyball and Basketball are other examples.

And?

And?

And as a spectator sport in a part of the world where there are a variety of choices, people find Soccer overwhelmingly boring.

The OP and the sentiments of posters in this thread are just stating what they don't like about the sport.

So what?

Edited by Boges

And as a spectator sport in a part of the world where there are a variety of choices, people find Soccer overwhelmingly boring.

Obviously not true, given its popularity in Europe and even North America.

The OP and the sentiments of posters in this thread are just stating what they don't like about the sport.

So what?

Because the only thing more boring than soccer are fans of other, equally boring sports talking about how boring soccer is.

Because the only thing more boring than soccer are fans of other, equally boring sports talking about how boring soccer is.

Then you should feel no need to participate in a thread where that occurs, since it clearly bores you.

Just sayin' ;)

Edited by Boges

Then you should feel no need to participate in a thread where that occurs, since it clearly bores you.

Just sayin' ;)

I like to see if there's any new arguments. There never are, but I keep hoping against hope that something interesting will happen (which is exactly how I feel when I suffer through a throwball or baseball game).

I like to see if there's any new arguments. There never are, but I keep hoping against hope that something interesting will happen (which is exactly how I feel when I suffer through a throwball or baseball game).

There are plenty of reasons not to like Soccer, as there are plenty of reasons not to like Hockey, Basketball, American Football or any sport.

There's no objective standard for what makes a sport good or interesting.

Again I would just say that a North American soccer fan using the sport's global appeal to somehow justify it's worth in this part of the world is wrong-headed IMHO.

Not saying that's what you're doing here but some people do just that.

Guest Manny

As a father of young boys and girls, I agree. It should not be a pejorative at all. And watching Canada's national womens hockey team, I know this to be true. Those chicks can kick ass.

"Girlie-man" sport would be a better term for soccer...

But seriously I don't think it's a bad sport in itself, I admire all athleticism. Only thing I don't like is the hollywood acting by some of those players. It makes me sick,

Don't take it personally!

Edited by Manny

But seriously I don't think it's a bad sport in itself, I admire all athleticism. Only thing I don't like is the hollywood acting by some of those players. It makes me sick,

Well, if it's a choice between "girlie men" indulging in a little on field play acting to procure a competitive advantage or "manly men" who rape, murder and hurt animals off the field, I know which I'd choose.

Well, if it's a choice between "girlie men" indulging in a little on field play acting to procure a competitive advantage or "manly men" who rape, murder and hurt animals off the field, I know which I'd choose.

So you're basing your opinion of American Football on players who have been convicted of a crime? That's painting many people with a pretty broad brush wouldn't you say?

Guest Manny

Which sport rapes animals?