Do you think soccer is a girl sport?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it will be a great game wyly. i'm going with spain.wyly what is it about a country's soccer program that allows it a nation to be so strong over a long span. brazil, arentina, italy, germany..they are always good. the a team like greece has a great euro a few years back but cant remain consistent. is it coaching or just the quality of athletes. wyly i thought croatia would take the next step to being a consistent power. what is wrong with them.

population size for one...Brazil has such an enormous depth of talent that they're competitive even in off years, where as a country like greece or denmark who have both won the euro need to have the right talent mature in the right years add to that special circumstances like a great manager and luck all to come together at the same time...the same would apply to Croatia, with only 4.5 million people they can be consistently good but to be the best requires the "perfect storm" scenario...Greece had a manager that recognized what Greece could and could not do do and he designed his team and style of play around the talent he had, playing a methodical airtight defensive game striking on counters and set plays, they played with machine like precision...I've worked with Croatian coaches and they know their stuff, they'll always be competitive but putting together a winning team for every competition drawn from a population base of only 4.5million is expecting a lot...

2nd player development-it's a science, child talent is spotted early as young as 4-5yrs, different countries approach training in various ways but everywhere early development is essential...some key traits they look and train for are insight, technique, personality, speed...where in Canada and the USA we put the youngest kids with the worst coaches(usually a volunteer, someone's dad who has never played) elsewhere you'll find top level coaches working with the even the youngest kids, coaches who need to apply for the position and have educational and playing credentials...as a result our average 18 yr old's have a technical level equal to many countries 12 yr olds...countries that have developed strong youth development systems consistently remain in the top 10 performers...

population size for one...Brazil has such an enormous depth of talent that they're competitive even in off years, where as a country like greece or denmark who have both won the euro need to have the right talent mature in the right years add to that special circumstances like a great manager and luck all to come together at the same time...the same would apply to Croatia, with only 4.5 million people they can be consistently good but to be the best requires the "perfect storm" scenario...Greece had a manager that recognized what Greece could and could not do do and he designed his team and style of play around the talent he had, playing a methodical airtight defensive game striking on counters and set plays, they played with machine like precision...I've worked with Croatian coaches and they know their stuff, they'll always be competitive but putting together a winning team for every competition drawn from a population base of only 4.5million is expecting a lot...

2nd player development-it's a science, child talent is spotted early as young as 4-5yrs, different countries approach training in various ways but everywhere early development is essential...some key traits they look and train for are insight, technique, personality, speed...where in Canada and the USA we put the youngest kids with the worst coaches(usually a volunteer, someone's dad who has never played) elsewhere you'll find top level coaches working with the even the youngest kids, coaches who need to apply for the position and have educational and playing credentials...as a result our average 18 yr old's have a technical level equal to many countries 12 yr olds...countries that have developed strong youth development systems consistently remain in the top 10 performers...

spain is a special team, wyly. do you know any soccer people from spain. it would be interesting talking to them about soccer. you have all kinds of great contacts so i'm sure you know someone from spain. why are they so successful lately?

spain is a special team, wyly. do you know any soccer people from spain. it would be interesting talking to them about soccer. you have all kinds of great contacts so i'm sure you know someone from spain. why are they so successful lately?

ya I know coaches and players from all over the world but oddly enough no one from spain...Spains success stems from Barcelona and Barcelona's success began with a Dutch coach and player from Amsterdam Ajax Rinus Michels, Michels was the father of dutch "Total Football" system, taking the Netherlands to the WC final in 74 and winning the Euro in 88...he brought his system of play and player development to Barcelona, where he was followed by other dutch coaches who continued the development, johan Cryuff, Luis van Gaal, Frank Rijkaard, and the last manager was a Spaniard who was indoctrinated into the system with Cryuff Pep Guardiola, at the heart of it was "ball possession" which required an extremely high level of technical ability of ball control under pressure...the nucleus of Spains WC winning team were all from Barcalona 9 of the starting 11 if I recall, Spain has adopted the Barca ball control game "tiki-taka" ...it's not exactly the same as the dutch total football but has evolved from it...

so I suppose the success has come to spain relatively lately but it was process that began in the late 70s

It's not Rockey science. Spain is good at soccer for the same reasons Canada is good at hockey.

You can say the same thing for nearly every European country in the Euro tournament.

You can say the same thing for nearly every European country in the Euro tournament.

no you can't, it may not be evident to canadians but there is a large gap between the top 6-8 countries and the rest just as in international hockey...Brazil, Argentina, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal are a step above the rest...England has a strong soccer culture but it youth development is well behind the leaders (but still far far ahead of canadas)...while the leaders are occasionally upset by lower ranked teams it is rare...

no you can't, it may not be evident to canadians but there is a large gap between the top 6-8 countries and the rest just as in international hockey...Brazil, Argentina, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal are a step above the rest...England has a strong soccer culture but it youth development is well behind the leaders (but still far far ahead of canadas)...while the leaders are occasionally upset by lower ranked teams it is rare...

do you see mexico becoming a soccer power in the near future wyly. they have a high population. maybe they just need a better soccer system and better coaches.

do you see mexico becoming a soccer power in the near future wyly. they have a high population. maybe they just need a better soccer system and better coaches.

nope, not unless they find a Pele or Messi, Mexico will always be a middle power (top 20) until they put a cohesive development system together, they've far to much political corruption and poverty for that to happen right now...

nope, not unless they find a Pele or Messi, Mexico will always be a middle power (top 20) until they put a cohesive development system together, they've far to much political corruption and poverty for that to happen right now...

wyly, what countries form africa do you think could provide an upset in 2014? senegal, cameroon, nigeria, ghana, ivory coast?

wyly, what countries form africa do you think could provide an upset in 2014? senegal, cameroon, nigeria, ghana, ivory coast?

I like Ghana, then Ivory Coast...Nigeria should be a consistent threat but aren't for some reason the same goes for Cameroon...It's only a matter of time before a sub-Saharan African country reaches the final...

the USA will be up there too someday, maybe in 15-20 years...

Edited by wyly

I like Ghana, then Ivory Coast...Nigeria should be a consistent threat but aren't for some reason the same goes for Cameroon...It's only a matter of time before a sub-Saharan African country reaches the final...

the USA will be up there too someday, maybe in 15-20 years...

wyly, where would you rank diego maradonna on the list of all time soccer greats?

i find the this thread somewhat amusing. in talking to friends in vancouver, montreal, and toronto, they tell me the MLS teams in those cities are creating more of a buzz than the cfl teams. these teams are fairly new too. just give them a few more years and soccer will easily overtake the 8 team cfl in popularity. i would much rather go to an Impact game than an alouette game. there is more excitement within a soccer crowd. you go to0 a cfl game in armpit hamilton and its like going to a funeral. soccer is the future of big league sports in canada.

wyly, where would you rank diego maradonna on the list of all time soccer greats?

hard to be objective with deigo, that "hand of god" will forever tarnish my view of him...technically 5th behind (in particular order) Pele, Cryuff, Zidane, Messi, I don't know if I'm being fair and objective since I dislike him so much...

if I had to choose players the last 40 or so years that stand out for me...Pele, Cryuff, Beckenbuaer, van Basten, Zidane, BergKamp, Gatusso, Messi, Roberto Carlos, Christian Ronaldo and reluctantly maradonna...i could name more but those are ones that are IMO were special and come to mind first...

hard to be objective with deigo, that "hand of god" will forever tarnish my view of him...technically 5th behind (in particular order) Pele, Cryuff, Zidane, Messi, I don't know if I'm being fair and objective since I dislike him so much...

if I had to choose players the last 40 or so years that stand out for me...Pele, Cryuff, Beckenbuaer, van Basten, Zidane, BergKamp, Gatusso, Messi, Roberto Carlos, Christian Ronaldo and reluctantly maradonna...i could name more but those are ones that are IMO were special and come to mind first...

you wouldn't add wayne rooney or david beckham to that list?

you wouldn't add wayne rooney or david beckham to that list?

nope, what's Rooney ever done internationally? the top nations have little problem neutralizing him...Beckham, a one trick pony, he's great at freekicks and crosses but he can't take on a quality midfielder one v one, unlike Zidane who required two opponents to contain him(often unsuccessfully) and he could take great freekicks as well...neutralizing Beckham/Rooney/England-it took only one man to stop Beckham advancing(he can't dribble) and two Central defenders would tower over his target Rooney, done...Beckham was good at free kicks/crosses but he was even better at selling posters and jerseys to teenage girls, while there were others just as good like Sinisa Mihijlovic who were not very pretty but not very marketable, it's marketing/sales that pays the enormous wages players like Beckham and make clubs profitable...

a player can look great in his league but when they get to international competitions it's another game, they face national all star teams, the best of the best...they may be big stars in the EPL but in international matches they can look very ordinary...

Edited by wyly

nope, what's Rooney ever done internationally? the top nations have little problem neutralizing him...Beckham, a one trick pony, he's great at freekicks and crosses but he can't take on a quality midfielder one v one, unlike Zidane who required two opponents to contain him(often unsuccessfully) and he could take great freekicks as well...neutralizing Beckham/Rooney/England-it took only one man to stop Beckham advancing(he can't dribble) and two Central defenders would tower over his target Rooney, done...Beckham was good at free kicks/crosses but he was even better at selling posters and jerseys to teenage girls, while there were others just as good like Sinisa Mihijlovic who were not very pretty but not very marketable, it's marketing/sales that pays the enormous wages players like Beckham and make clubs profitable...

a player can look great in his league but when they get to international competitions it's another game, they face national all star teams, the best of the best...they may be big stars in the EPL but in international matches they can look very ordinary...

wyly, as someone who has watched the greatest and best soccer players all your life, do you have a hard time watching MLS soccer. I like the MLS but I was wondering what someone as soccer saavy as you thinks of that league. i think it is slowly getting better. it's not the EPL but att least its something.

wyly, as someone who has watched the greatest and best soccer players all your life, do you have a hard time watching MLS soccer. I like the MLS but I was wondering what someone as soccer saavy as you thinks of that league. i think it is slowly getting better. it's not the EPL but att least its something.

I don't watch MLS very much because I don't have any connection/history not because of the quality, I don't watch Serie A either despite it's quality, if there was a MLS team in Calgary I would go and watch as long as it wasn't over priced... MLS isn't as bad as most people believe, if you were to compare to the english leagues the better MLS sides would be able to play in the EPL, most would be div 2 and the weakest in div 3...being div 2 and div 3 doesn't prevent people in england from watching and it shouldn't here either it's still good entertainment, I'll even stop and watch a good amateur match when I come across one...EPL champions Man City were playing div 3 as recently as 1998...

the MLS will definitely improve, there is a solid fan base, and there is a huge talent pool the needed ingredients are present for excellent quality soccer to develop...

I don't watch MLS very much because I don't have any connection/history not because of the quality, I don't watch Serie A either despite it's quality, if there was a MLS team in Calgary I would go and watch as long as it wasn't over priced... MLS isn't as bad as most people believe, if you were to compare to the english leagues the better MLS sides would be able to play in the EPL, most would be div 2 and the weakest in div 3...being div 2 and div 3 doesn't prevent people in england from watching and it shouldn't here either it's still good entertainment, I'll even stop and watch a good amateur match when I come across one...EPL champions Man City were playing div 3 as recently as 1998...

the MLS will definitely improve, there is a solid fan base, and there is a huge talent pool the needed ingredients are present for excellent quality soccer to develop...

do you see any other potential markets in canada that may get an MLS team?