Do you think soccer is a girl sport?

and ya you do need to play a sport to understand it, be a fan and contribute semi-intelligent posts regarding it... .so you to admit flaming a thread for no other reason then to stir the pot...

No, trolling is for some of our more astute members of this board. The thread title asked a question, I responded, with some evidence to back my statement up. That's not trolling, that is addressing the OP.

Not like the title of the thread alone is enough to stir the pot.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and ya you do need to play a sport to understand it, be a fan and contribute semi-intelligent posts regarding it...

Really? So NFL or Baseball analyst and journalists that never actually played the sport but spent their lives following it really have no relevant opinion on the sport?

The Baseball Hall of Fame Inductees are nominated by sports writers. :rolleyes:

Really? So NFL or Baseball analyst and journalists that never actually played the sport but spent their lives following it really have no relevant opinion on the sport?

ya really...I know a lot about my sport I listen to the talking heads(sports journalists)and cringe at the crap they offer up(absolutely clueless), they may fool the vast majority with their mindless jabber that they know something but not anyone who has actually coached or played at a high level...
The Baseball Hall of Fame Inductees are nominated by sports writers. :rolleyes:
:lol: that's not a great endorsement for fame...endorsement by one's peers is of value, by journalists not so much it's purely a popularity contest, a 10 yr old supplied with player stats could do as well...

I had a teammate who was journalist on a Daily paper he was never allowed to be sports journalist or allowed to cover his sport, instead that job was given to a co-worker who never played any sport...how can you seriously believe someone who never takes part in an activity can know more than the actual participants?...you really don't know much about sports if you believe they can and that applies to everyone else who has posted supporting positions in this thread...

Edited by wyly

ya really...I know a lot about my sport I listen to the talking heads(sports journalists)and cringe at the crap they offer up(absolutely clueless), they may fool the vast majority with their mindless jabber that they know something but not anyone who has actually coached or played at a high level...

:lol: that's not a great endorsement for fame...endorsement by one's peers is of value, by journalists not so much it's purely a popularity contest, a 10 yr old supplied with player stats could do as well...

Oh so not only those that played the sport, only those that had played the sport at a "high" level can any relevant opinion on the sport. :rolleyes:

BTW who cares if you understand soccer? It doesn't take an expert on the sport to be bored to tears and the last two nil-nil games at the Euro that were decided by penalties. :lol:

I have said the same thing about gridiron football....

...except I was joking.

You think that because you don't understand soccer, there's nothing to it? Seriously?

Nope never said that. A Futballer like Ronaldo or Messi are fantastic athletes. And when I have a rooting interest I can watch a full Soccer match no problem.

But to tell someone that doesn't like the sport that they just don't understand it is condescending and ignorant.

It's like telling someone that doesn't like Game of Thrones they just doesn't understand it.

I've tried to play soccer and I'm horrible at it, but there are other sports I'm pretty good at.

Edited by Boges

Oh so not only those that played the sport, only those that had played the sport at a "high" level can any relevant opinion on the sport. :rolleyes:

yup...non-expert opinions are irrelevant, the equivalent of asking a 6 year his/her opinion on the global economic situation...
BTW who cares if you understand soccer? It doesn't take an expert on the sport to be bored to tears and the last two nil-nil games at the Euro that were decided by penalties. :lol:
that tells me you don't understand any sport, even a hockey game is more than scoring goals, baseball is more than home runs and base hits which is why the knowledgeable baseball fans appreciate a no hitter...actual knowledgeable(real) fans see the skill that is required...goals, runs, baskets, TD's are just the tip of the iceberg, the summation of technical ability required...

Nope never said that. A Futballer like Ronaldo or Messi are fantastic athletes. And when I have a rooting interest I can watch a full Soccer match no problem.

I took my wife to watch Gretzky play with the Oilers a few times, she could tell he was good because he always seemed to have the puck but her knowledge of the game was absolutely zero...there was no way she could make an informed relevant opinion of the games technical intricacies...
But to tell someone that doesn't like the sport that they just don't understand it is condescending and ignorant.
someone who tells others their sport is for girls is condescending, ignorant and arrogant, where do get the right to insult other peoples pastimes?
I've tried to play soccer and I'm horrible at it, but there are other sports I'm pretty good at.
having played something doesn't mean you understand or appreciate it either, I have NCCP coaching certification and I count among my friends National/International level coaches, and even with the level of knowledge that I have achieved I'm humbled by the knowledge of others, what I know of the sport is still dwarfed by what I don't know...

Largely agree with wyly on this.

I played soccer as a kid/teenager and enjoyed it.

Always enjoyed watching World Cup/Euro on TV and the FIFA U20, that came to Canada in 2007, live.

It wasn't until I started to read this blog, however, that I truly started to appreciate the tactics and strategy of the game.

It is surprisingly subtle which makes it hard to explain to others who just don't get it.

Largely agree with wyly on this.

I played soccer as a kid/teenager and enjoyed it.

Always enjoyed watching World Cup/Euro on TV and the FIFA U20, that came to Canada in 2007, live.

It wasn't until I started to read this blog, however, that I truly started to appreciate the tactics and strategy of the game.

It is surprisingly subtle which makes it hard to explain to others who just don't get it.

hey nice website...germany vs Italy...it may come down to the Ozil vs Pirlo, can a 33yr old Pirlo contain a 23 yr old Ozil? for 90? and maybe extra time?, Germany appears to the definite edge in strikers, Italy may play defensive counter game playing for a draw and penalties...

hey nice website...germany vs Italy...it may come down to the Ozil vs Pirlo, can a 33yr old Pirlo contain a 23 yr old Ozil? for 90? and maybe extra time?, Germany appears to the definite edge in strikers, Italy may play defensive counter game playing for a draw and penalties...

Granted I get to write this knowing that it is 2-0 for Italy at half-time but you are not getting the Italy as a "defensive counter game playing for a draw and penalties" from the blog I pointed to.

As it states:

They’ll [italy} try to compensate for that by bringing both Mario Balotelli and Antonio Cassano into the channels, which will make Germany reluctant to bring both full-backs forward at once. Pirlo will look for long diagonal balls into the path of the two strikers, and if Germany push up and play a high defensive line, Pirlo will hit straight passes over the top of the defence for Balotelli, a repeated tactic against England.

Given that Balotelli has scored the 2 goals so far in this game it appears that Italy has been using this tactic.

In the second half I expect Italy to play a defensive counter game playing for the win. :D

someone who tells others their sport is for girls is condescending, ignorant and arrogant, where do get the right to insult other peoples pastimes?

Can we call them vaginas instead? The real insult is the theatrics these 'men' take part in. Taking a dive, faking pain, ect. Don't blame me for that, I'm not the one taking the dive.

But I am a person that really does not care at all for team sports. Taking part in or watching. It's simply just not that interesting for me.

having played something doesn't mean you understand or appreciate it either,

But you said before that .. um ... nevermind.

Kickee ball sucks....REAL football rules!!!!

soccer is real football. american football should be called thug ball with talentless plugs holding each other pretending to be athletes. soccer is the beautiful game that requires more skill athletics and endurance than any other sport. i see you dont know much about the great global game of soccer.

soccer is real football. american football should be called thug ball with talentless plugs holding each other pretending to be athletes. soccer is the beautiful game that requires more skill athletics and endurance than any other sport. i see you dont know much about the great global game of soccer.

Well that shows a fantastic amount of ignorance! In the US the best athletes play football. Just like the best Canadian athletes play hockey, just like the best athletes in Jamaica do track and field. And just like the best Athletes in Europe and Latin America play Soccer.

It requires no athletic skill to throw a ball 50 yards to a receiver while the Defense is trying to crush you? :rolleyes:

It requires no athletic skill to run 40 yards in less than 4.5 seconds? :rolleyes:

It requires no athletic skill to kick a ball 50+ yards between goal posts? :rolleyes:

The best athletes in the US play Football and Basketball. The reason they don't do so well in Soccer isn't because Americans aren't athletic, it's because they play different sports.

Ditto in Canada, lots of people may play soccer but the best athletes play hockey because it's the easiest way for a phenomenal Canadian athlete to become a millionaire.

Ever watch the Chris Rock skit where he says Lebron would be the best Hockey player?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0s3A4PNURg

Edited by Boges

Well that shows a fantastic amount of ignorance! In the US the best athletes play football. Just like the best Canadian athletes play hockey, just like the best athletes in Jamaica do track and field. And just like the best Athletes in Europe and Latin America play Soccer.

It requires no athletic skill to throw a ball 50 yards to a receiver while the Defense is trying to crush you? :rolleyes:

It requires no athletic skill to run 40 yards in less than 4.5 seconds? :rolleyes:

It requires no athletic skill to kick a ball 50+ yards between goal posts? :rolleyes:

The best athletes in the US play Football and Basketball. The reason they don't do so well in Soccer isn't because Americans aren't athletic, it's because they play different sports.

Ditto in Canada, lots of people may play soccer but the best athletes play hockey because it's the easiest way for a phenomenal Canadian athlete to become a millionaire.

wrong. like wyly said soccer is quickly becoming north americas most popular sport. soccer players have to have skill. football thugs need to know how to grunt and are mostly uneducated.

wrong. like wyly said soccer is quickly becoming north americas most popular sport. soccer players have to have skill. football thugs need to know how to grunt and are mostly uneducated.

Oh yeah I forgot, Christiano Ronaldo David Beckham is a model of intellectualism. :lol:

Edited by Boges

Granted I get to write this knowing that it is 2-0 for Italy at half-time but you are not getting the Italy as a "defensive counter game playing for a draw and penalties" from the blog I pointed to.

As it states:

Given that Balotelli has scored the 2 goals so far in this game it appears that Italy has been using this tactic.

In the second half I expect Italy to play a defensive counter game playing for the win. :D

sure but scoring a goal completely changes the dynamics of a match, once up a goal Italy can afford to play more cautious and counter, the Germans have no choice but to open up and attack more leaving them open to more scoring opportunities and counters...similarly with Holland vs Portugal game Holland was in deep shitte even before the match and Portugal knew it, Ronaldo getting numerous opportunities to score was a given as the dutch needed to commit to going forward in order to win by 2 goals...

Italy always plays a safe draw and counter it's their nature, the exception being when they are totally dominant...

I never saw today's match I was working and forgot to PVR the game...I'm annoyed, I PVRed the last 2 games and my kids came in and told me the results as I was watching grrr...I'll need to txt my coaching buddy and get his take on today's match...

sure but scoring a goal completely changes the dynamics of a match, once up a goal Italy can afford to play more cautious and counter, the Germans have no choice but to open up and attack more leaving them open to more scoring opportunities and counters...similarly with Holland vs Portugal game Holland was in deep shitte even before the match and Portugal knew it, Ronaldo getting numerous opportunities to score was a given as the dutch needed to commit to going forward in order to win by 2 goals...

Italy always plays a safe draw and counter it's their nature, the exception being when they are totally dominant...

I never saw today's match I was working and forgot to PVR the game...I'm annoyed, I PVRed the last 2 games and my kids came in and told me the results as I was watching grrr...I'll need to txt my coaching buddy and get his take on today's match...

wyly, i love soccer but dont know as much about the beautiful game as you so i like reading your thouhts. how did yoy become so knoledgeable about soccer.

Seriously wyly?

Ever heard of Scotty Bowman?

Ken Hitchcock?

Michael jordan?

Bob McKenzie?

yeah seriously...Scotty Bowman was a?...COACH!....Ken Hitchcock was a?...COACH!....Micheal Jordan was maybe the best that ever played...so what's your point all three back up my point that you need to have played or coach to understand the game...

Bob McKenzie? I have no clue what his background is whether he actually knows anything, he's a journalist I'm not a hockey coach nor did I play hockey at a high level so I've no idea if he's talking shitte and unless you're a experienced coach or high level hockey player neither do you...

wyly, i love soccer but dont know as much about the beautiful game as you so i like reading your thouhts. how did yoy become so knoledgeable about soccer.

a lifetime (45yrs)of playing and coaching, my friends/teammates an assortment of high level amateurs, and ex-professionals from around the globe...I don't consider myself knowledgeable compared to others...

yeah seriously...Scotty Bowman was a?...COACH!....Ken Hitchcock was a?...COACH!....Micheal Jordan was maybe the best that ever played...so what's your point all three back up my point that you need to have played or coach to understand the game...

Bob McKenzie? I have no clue what his background is whether he actually knows anything, he's a journalist I'm not a hockey coach nor did I play hockey at a high level so I've no idea if he's talking shitte and unless you're a experienced coach or high level hockey player neither do you...

Well the largest sports network in Canada seems to value Bob McKenzie's opinion on Hockey and have for awhile. He must know something.

If it was only people that played that knew anything why don't they just hire former athletes 100% of the time? Most broadcasting is a combination of both.

Jordan and Gretzky were the best in their respective sports but have proven to be horrible coaches and/or owners/execs of teams. Gretz was bought out of Phoenix and Jordan owns statstically one of the worst NBA team in history.

In Football Bill Bellichek is perhaps the best coach in the game today, I don't think he ever played. Many of the coaches never played. Some like, Jim Harbaugh, did.

I've heard that the best former players make horrible coaches while mediocre/average players can make great coaches. Then again Drew Brees probably would make a fantastic coach. There are no solid rules regarding these things.

Edited by Boges

Well the largest sports network in Canada seems to value Bob McKenzie's opinion on Hockey and have for awhile. He must know something.

If it was only people that played that knew anything why don't they just hire former athletes 100% of the time? Most broadcasting is a combination of both.

Jordan and Gretzky were the best in their respective sports but have proven to be horrible coaches and/or owners/execs of teams. Gretz was bought out of Phoenix and Jordan owns statstically one of the worst NBA team in history.

In Football Bill Bellichek is perhaps the best coach in the game today, I don't think he ever played. Many of the coaches never played. Some like, Jim Harbaugh, did.

I've heard that the best former players make horrible coaches while mediocre/average players can make great coaches. Then again Drew Brees probably would make a fantastic coach. There are no solid rules regarding these things.

Bill Cowher...

Marginal Linebacker for the Cleveland Browns...Excellent Head Coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers...

what complete bullshitte!..athletes play whatever sport they enjoy or what their parents sign them up for..there's no sorting kids at sports signup days designating good athletes to the appropriate sports...geez have no clue when comes to athletics
it requires no skill to catch a ball with your chest or thigh as a goalkeeper or defender comes out to crush you?...ya that's right I said "catch" a ball with chest or thigh B) sometimes even their head...
sounds like the entire squads of both germany and Italy...and they'll do it with a ball at their feet...people mistakenly assume soccer is a marathon but it's game for sprinters and they'll do it for up to 120 minutes in comparison to footballs 12.5 minutes and sideline breaks...
again the entire squads of both of Italy and Germany teams will do the same, and they'll do it over and over...and the better players will replicate any pitch thrown in baseball WITH their feet...
the USA has millions of registered soccer players,and millions more unregistered the reason they don't do well is because they lack proper coaching/development...
Ditto in Canada, lots of people may play soccer but the best athletes play hockey because it's the

easiest way for a phenomenal Canadian athlete to become a millionaire.

again complete "Bullshitte", poor coaching and development systems are the reasons Canadians don't excel, millions are waiting for those that do ...

Edited by wyly