Do you think soccer is a girl sport?

Canada together with Finland are the two countries where ice-hockey is easily the most popular spectator sport. In most European countries soccer is easily the most popular sport. Then there are countries such as Australia and New Zealand where rugby is very popular.

Why do you think ice-hockey appeals to people in countries like Finland and Canada as the most popular sport? In Sweden and Russia ice-hockey is also a popular spectator sport but in those countries soccer is more popular.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

Canada together with Finland are the two countries where ice-hockey is easily the most popular spectator sport. In most European countries soccer is easily the most popular sport. Then there are countries such as Australia and New Zealand where rugby is very popular.

Why do you think ice-hockey appeals to people in countries like Finland and Canada as the most popular sport? In Sweden and Russia ice-hockey is also a popular spectator sport but in those countries soccer is more popular.

Not at all, both my son and daughter play…….My son just finished a spring break mini camp…..And though we would have liked to have gone to South Africa for ‘10, we still got

Bafana madness :D

Guest Derek L

No one can convince me that Messi plays like a girl. :)

Exactly........It's apples and lawn chairs when trying to compare with more popular North American sports........My boy plays soccer to keep fit and have fun……Now Rugby, that’s his religion.....

He's 5'6, he certainly looks like a girl. :lol:

I think it is mostly his hair though. :)

Soccer is a great sport to play.. just not to watch

I've never played organized soccer but I love watching it. Although I only end up watching international play.

I'm a MASSIVE hockey fan and I think it is the best sport in the world (I don't care if the popular vote says otherwise) but if I had to pick I would say Messi is the best athlete in the world. He dominates a sport that isn't easy to dominate and he actually makes it look easy.

Edited by j44

I must say that I'm a typical Finn in that sense that I really enjoy watching ice-hockey and have never understood the fascination some people have for the sport where a ball of pig skin is kicked around.

Ice hockey any day for me over that comatose sport called soccer but obviously the rest of the world disagrees with me.

I must say that I'm a typical Finn in that sense that I really enjoy watching ice-hockey and have never understood the fascination some people have for the sport where a ball of pig skin is kicked around.

Ice hockey any day for me over that comatose sport called soccer but obviously the rest of the world disagrees with me.

The game is played and watched all over the planet………

I'm pleased as punch that soccer is popular in Burkina Faso....

Basically,I look at it like this...

We,in North America seem to be the only literates in an otherwise illiterate sporting world.

We get it!!!Soccer sucks!!!

I don't deny the athleticism to play the sport at a professional level,but,one has to be a great athelete to be a synchronized swimmer and most people don't give a rats hind quarters about that either...

Kickee ball sucks....REAL football rules!!!!

I know it's a cultural thing but still I think rugby would be perfectly suited for a country like Finland. I wonder why we haven't discovered that sport yet.

In Australia cricket is hugely popular. The popularity of that game is a mystery to me. Watching it without falling asleep is an achievement AFAIC.

Soccer is a great sport. Can't really argue with the most popular sport on the planet!

One thing they have to try and eliminate is the diving....

What do think is the reason why the sport has not really caught on in Canada?