Michael Ignatieff

PIK

In a speech lamenting the vicious tone of the attack ads used against him, former Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff on Tuesday told a law school audience that his party did the same thing to Stephen Harper, unfairly tarring him as a dangerously right-wing, American-style political extremist, bent on undoing cherished Canadian values.

“We attempted to deny him standing, and now he has taken his revenge. That is where we are,” Mr. Ignatieff said at York University’s Osgoode Hall. Mr. Harper “seized the centre and moved it 10 degrees to the right and now we have to seize it back.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/14/michael-ignatieff-admits-mistakes-and-airs-grievances-he-and-harper-both-denied-standing-during-election/

I wonder if it was a mistake to can him after the last election, IMO I thought he should have stayed on 4 more years and be in a lot better position to take on harper.

Beware taking political advise from Ignatieff!

This guy couldn't even win his own seat and single handidly destroyed the liberal party(among other issues)or at the very least could not help in any way that is evident.

Even after his departure he some how feels remorse towards the party(Harper) that couldn't put enough nails into his political coffin only shows his political weakness and ignorance.

I personaly would never give Ignatieff a single ounce of any political competence.Nor would I ever attend a seminar where he was the guest speaker!

WWWTT

I wonder if it was a mistake to can him after the last election, IMO I thought he should have stayed on 4 more years and be in a lot better position to take on harper.

It was not a mistake at all. I've respected (in a way at least) his opinions on foreign policy and humanitarian issues for years before he became leader but that all went out the window pretty quick. He was a terrible leader. At times he seemed to just be on his own, ignoring advisers and always appeared weak and uncomfortable. If he couldnt get the support of someone who had no issue with him living abroad for so long and was an avid reader of his pieces how could he ever become a success as leader?

Even after his departure he some how feels remorse towards the party(Harper) that couldn't put enough nails into his political coffin only shows his political weakness and ignorance.

WWWTT

I agree with all of your point except this one. I don't know if it is necessarily remorse. It seems that he is just owning up to some things. You could be right though.

Liberals don't like it when their leaders lose. There's been enough acrimony over the past 10 years or so to ensure that there's no patience for a loser.

Correction Michael, some Liberals voted the Liberals OUT because of the ADSCAM, ANY government doing wrong should be voted out. The problem comes when the party supporters don't choose democracy and truth over party wrong doing. Canadians on the net are calling Harper CRIME MINISTER.

It is possible for a "losing" leader to win the second time around, but rare. About the only incident of that kind I can think of offhand is Harper's 2006 victory on the heals of this defeat 1 1/2 years earlier.

The Liberal Party has not been kind to its Anglophone leaders since King's passing. The leaders who have been elected to successive mandates are St. Laurent, Trudeau and Chretien. Pearson was elected twice, to minority governments. Turner and Martin were even less successful. It seems that a deep well of Quebec support is required for a Liberal majority.

It is possible for a "losing" leader to win the second time around, but rare. About the only incident of that kind I can think of offhand is Harper's 2006 victory on the heals of this defeat 1 1/2 years earlier.

The Liberal Party has not been kind to its Anglophone leaders since King's passing. The leaders who have been elected to successive mandates are St. Laurent, Trudeau and Chretien. Pearson was elected twice, to minority governments. Turner and Martin were even less successful. It seems that a deep well of Quebec support is required for a Liberal majority.

Or a divided vote on the right in Ontario. Neither of which are available anymore for the Grits. The Liberals know if they are to survive, Quebec is where they must begin their rise from the grave. This Dion thing being discussed in another thread is no side issue. Its clear the Liberals are trying to play wedge politics in Quebec in hopes of catching up the whole swath of support the NDP stands to lose no matter what side they appear to be taking on the issue of Quebec sovereignty.

Edited by UofGPolitico

Its clear the Liberals are trying to play wedge politics in Quebec in hopes of catching up the whole swath of support the NDP stands to lose no matter what side they appear to be taking on the issue of Quebec sovereignty.

In this respect, the Liberals are fortunate that Dion is still in caucus. If anyone knows this file inside and out, and sideways it is Mr. Dion.

Or a divided vote on the right in Ontario. Neither of which are available anymore for the Grits. The Liberals know if they are to survive, Quebec is where they must begin their rise from the grave. This Dion thing being discussed in another thread is no side issue. Its clear the Liberals are trying to play wedge politics in Quebec in hopes of catching up the whole swath of support the NDP stands to lose no matter what side they appear to be taking on the issue of Quebec sovereignty.

Wedge issue are great when they mean nothing. Quebec sovereignty is a very scary movement which has most cost us the country, I never thought in all my days we would see the Liberal party cheering for it to rise from the grave.

This guy couldn't even win his own seat and single handidly destroyed the liberal party(among other issues)or at the very least could not help in any way that is evident.

I personaly would never give Ignatieff a single ounce of any political competence.Nor would I ever attend a seminar where he was the guest speaker!

WWWTT

Well we don't know that the tories could have rigged the riding by funneling in voters from other parts of Toronto.

Apparently there were some reports of irregularities with riding stacking by conservatives floating around.

With only 2000 votes seperating 40,000 votes that type of riding stacking would be completely plausible.

Unfortunately voter fraud is not able to be tracked with the ballot system Canada uses..

We know conservatives are morally baseless when it comes to election law so it is more likely than not.

Edited by MACKER

Correction Michael, some Liberals voted the Liberals OUT because of the ADSCAM, ANY government doing wrong should be voted out. The problem comes when the party supporters don't choose democracy and truth over party wrong doing. Canadians on the net are calling Harper CRIME MINISTER.

Correction Topaz, liberals may call harper crime minister, cons support harper all the way. So speaking of crime that bytch that killed torri spelling with a hammer after her boyfriend savagely rape her could be walking the streets at age 46. Now is'nt that nice. But that is what the left wants.

I don't care what some people think about Michael, that's your right to have your views. Michael said while campaigning, he was here to stay but the lying Tories as usual made up stories about Michael going back to the US. He said he wasn't and he hasn't. I find he has a much better personality than Harper, who seems cold, brass and a mean spirit and definitely not trust worthy.

Correction Topaz, liberals may call harper crime minister, cons support harper all the way. So speaking of crime that bytch that killed torri spelling with a hammer after her boyfriend savagely rape her could be walking the streets at age 46. Now is'nt that nice. But that is what the left wants.

Excuse me, did you say that Tory supporters, support the Tories all the way, meaning breaking moral law, parliament law whatever it takes to win and stay in power, include voter fraud?? Please explain? What does the crime bill have to do with this subtitle? If you want to debate the murder of Tori, start another subtitle.

WWWTT

He is loved by the libs almost as much as the CPC loved Bulroony

Chretien killed the Liberal Party. After the sponsorship scandal, their best leadership prospects all stayed away. The leadership election process that vaulted 4th place Dion to leader buried them. Ignatieff's worse decision was supporting Dion.

I almost went to that talk. I live nearby.
Teddy, you're so Toronto.
Others have suffered worse. Think of Nixon.

---

My general impression is that Ignatieff is a flake. BBC, zillions of books, Upper Canada College, family lineage, Paul Kennedy CBC Ideas. Go through it all (I haven't) and Ignatieff is still a flake.

Link about a flake.

To his credit, Bob Rae is not a flake.

Edited by August1991

Others have suffered worse. Think of Nixon.
Nixon was far more than a failed politician. He and his gang were thugs without principals, real accomplishments or beliefs. Sorry, anyone could cave in to Chinese or Russian demands and achieve miraculous treaties or summit visits.
My general impression is that Ignatieff is a flake. BBC, zillions of books, Upper Canada College, family lineage, Paul Kennedy CBC Ideas. Go through it all (I haven't) and Ignatieff is still a flake.

Link about a flake.

To his credit, Bob Rae is not a flake.

Jury is out on Bob Rae. Ignatieff, certainly.

Chretien killed the Liberal Party. After the sponsorship scandal, their best leadership prospects all stayed away. The leadership election process that vaulted 4th place Dion to leader buried them. Ignatieff's worse decision was supporting Dion.

Chretein left a huge mess. The start of the downfall of the commons and the dirty politics ,he had a hand in it all. He will down as the worst and I mean worst PM this country ever had.

Chretein left a huge mess. The start of the downfall of the commons and the dirty politics ,he had a hand in it all. He will down as the worst and I mean worst PM this country ever had.

Isn't Trudeau and Campbell in that running? Turner? Edited by jbg