Dalton McGuinty is a Liar!

Call it want you want but it's a tax. How many people in this province drive?

I thought there were going to be no new taxes.

By Lee Greenberg

Mired in a $16-billion deficit and facing an uncertain financial future, Ontario is turning to consumers to help it dig out of trouble.

The province announced Tuesday it will raise a range of driver fees, including licence validation, renewals, replacement, driver exam fees, trailer permits, as well as a range of other fees for commercial vehicles.

Licence-plate renewals will rise to $98 within the next three years, a 33% increase over the current $74 charged in southern Ontario (northern residents are charged a lower rate that will rise by the same percentage).

Those rates will rise to $82 on Sept. 1, officials said, and then again each year after until they reach $98 in 2015.

Transportation Minister Bob Chiarelli said the higher fees are a “thoughtful” choice that will help eliminate the deficit and help keep roads and bridges in good shape.

Mr. Chiarelli said Ontario’s drivers’ fees are among the lowest in Canada, and will continue to be middle of the pack, even after the increases.

So this money is going to infrastructure Mr. McGuinty?

http://ogca.ca/pulling-back-on-infrastructure-spending-shortsighted/

Cancelling any future infrastructure spending programs in Ontario is shortsighted and will have a devastating impact on province’s economic recovery, says Ontario General Contractor Association President Clive Thurston.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty recently warned leaders at the Rural Ontario Municipalities Association convention that the provincial government “chose not to move forward this year with a new permanent fund for roads and bridges with the federal government.

“I have to support our economic advantage – the skills and education of our people – and sacrifice the infrastructure fund,” McGuinty said during his speech Monday in Toronto.

“Premier McGuinty’s statement, if it is followed through with policy direction in the upcoming budget, brings into question the province’s stated commitment to a 10-year infrastructure investment plan,” says OGCA President Clive Thurston.

“If this happens, we will have lost some of the cylinders of the economic engine that has been helping to drive Ontario’s recovery. Cancelling of infrastructure-specific programs will stall any momentum we have been building. It is more than a step backwards. This is stepping on the accelerator with the engine in reverse.”

Huh? This new reveue from license levies is going into general revenue.

Oh and how about this?

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/13/liberals-spinning-the-horse-manure

In a nasty piece of spin, Education Minister Laurel Broten sent out a release slamming the horse-racing industry and PC leader Tim Hudak.

“We simply can’t afford to support the $345 million-a-year horse-racing subsidies started by the Hudak PCs. Not when the same amount of money could get better health care for our seniors, and full-day kindergarten for our four and five year olds,” said the release.

She said Hudak’s defending, “a few wealthy race-track owners, while seniors and kindergarten students are left in the dust.”

What a pile of horse manure!

It's a bold face lie. They aren't taking money from all-day kindergarten and putting it into the pocket of racetrack owners. They are sharing slot revenue and that money creates jobs.

People are going to be jumping off this Titanic of a Province fast.

Edited by Boges

Oh and how about this?

It's a bold face lie. They aren't taking money from all-day kindergarten and putting it into the pocket of racetrack owners. They are sharing slot revenue and that money creates jobs.

Perhaps the opposition should force an election?

What makes it ok is that Ontario has one of the lowest registration fees in the country, even with the increase.

What I want to know is when the governments across the country will get rid of these invasive vehicle registrations. Why must they make criminals out of drivers?

What I want to know is when the governments across the country will get rid of these invasive vehicle registrations. Why must they make criminals out of drivers?

Drivers are evil. We should all use the public transit that is inconvenient for a vast majority of people in Ontario.

Oh and how about this?

Dalton McGuinty is a liar.

He says that we need to freeze young teachers on the pay grid... To pay for a 30% tuition cut that isn't retroactive.

These young teachers have loads of student debt after 5-6 years of education. They are now being told F-U.

While I do see a need to freeze wages, taking it out on the current young working generation can't always be the solution.

If you are going to freeze the young workers on the grid, at least make the student tuition payment partially retroactive.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

Mc Guinty is going to be gone in the next election and that could be sooner rather than later, depending on the upcoming budget. Perhaps he's taking a page from Harper, tell people what they want to hear and if you break your word, its okay, you're still stay in power.

What makes McGuinty's new fee/tax plan even worse, is that it hits middle and lower income earners disproportionately high. As does his failed energy plan. He's bascially a middle class wrecking ball, ironically defended by the so-called pro-middle class posters in this forum.

Mc Guinty is going to be gone in the next election and that could be sooner rather than later, depending on the upcoming budget. Perhaps he's taking a page from Harper, tell people what they want to hear and if you break your word, its okay, you're still stay in power.

Andrea Horvath has come out against the OLG plans so has the big Unions, CAW and OPSEU (friends of McGuinty)

If he's stubborn about his plans he'll certainly be going to the polls again soon.

Is this your justification for what McGuinty is doing here?

Lying is just another term for pragmatism in your eyes?

Nope.

We should have elected PC this past round. Dalton didn't deserve re-election in any right.

Hudak screwed up his marketing of himself.

Nope.

We should have elected PC this past round. Dalton didn't deserve re-election in any right.

Hudak screwed up his marketing of himself.

I guess so, I personally thought he didn't do enough to distinguish himself from the status quo.

I think, seeing how reckless McGuinty and Co, are being with the Provincial government a few months after the election could mean another election, which we certainly can't afford.

If they refuse to make any compromises in this coming budget the opposition will have no choice but to bring this government down.

I'm hoping the NDP doesn't back down. Knowing the leader is from Hamilton and part of their base is in Windsor both are communities that could see very bad things come out of the provinces OLG plan hopefully would mean they'd stand with the PCs against the OLP on this issue.

I guess so, I personally thought he didn't do enough to distinguish himself from the status quo.

I think, seeing how reckless McGuinty and Co, are being with the Provincial government a few months after the election could mean another election, which we certainly can't afford.

If they refuse to make any compromises in this coming budget the opposition will have no choice but to bring this government down.

I'm hoping the NDP doesn't back down. Knowing the leader is from Hamilton and part of their base is in Windsor both are communities that could see very bad things come out of the provinces OLG plan hopefully would mean they'd stand with the PCs against the OLP on this issue.

Liberal support is insanely rising. They have been attracting the support of the moderate right with all of this talk of cuts.

They polled at close the 40% in the last nanos poll, higher than the election.

I'm not saying that the PC's had the best platform. But, when you know a government is incompetent, you don't vote them back in. You take a risk on someone else. For some reason, we'd rather stick with known incompetence... than unknown risk.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist