PIPA and SOPA

President Obama won't sign the bills into law, but it'sa gonna cost him:

EXCLUSIVE: Internet sites on their SOPAStrike may be conducting a blackout but Hollywood studios are conducting a boycott. I’ve learned that Hollywood studio chiefs individually and as a group are drawing a line in the sand on the piracy issue with the Obama re-election campaign and refusing to give any more donations. The blowup came after President Obama on Saturday dashed moguls’ hopes that he would remain on the sidelines in the dispute over the U.S. House Of Representatives’ Stop Online Piracy Act and the U.S. Senate’s Protect IP Act.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/exclusive-hollywood-moguls-stopping-obama-donations-because-of-administrations-piracy-stand/

I hope this is true. That will pretty much seal his victory. He'll be seen as the underdog again, fighting corporate greed and their attack on people's liberties. It will be a $#!+ storm... Tea Party voters would even support him. Ok, maybe not that far.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOPA => introduced in the House as H.R. 3261 by Lamar Smith (Republican - Texas) on October 26, 2011

PIPA => introduced in the Senate as S.968 by Patrick Leahy (Democrat - Vermont) on May 12, 2011

you're welcome

Over the years, Senator (I think former Senator) Hollings, DEemocrat, South Dakota has been the push behind the bill. Also note the Leahy bill came alot earlier.

Ahhhh I see we have lost the argument so we have tried to derail the thread. Again we were talking about SOPA and PIPA the Bills written by REPUBLICANS and Democrats which are a terrible idea sharkman. Try to sick with us ok?

You want me to be sick with you? Thank you, no.

Why am I posting here? I am just curious if anyone here actually supports these bills and has a legitimate argument to back them up.

I don't know about a legitimate argument but I fail to see why there wouldn't be more than a few supporters.

I posted about the threat to net neutrality a few years ago and all I got for my troubles was the typical broadside accusation of being a lefty who hated our freedoms and wanted everything for free.

I don't know about a legitimate argument but I fail to see why there wouldn't be more than a few supporters.

I posted about the threat to net neutrality a few years ago and all I got for my troubles was the typical broadside accusation of being a lefty who hated our freedoms and wanted everything for free.

Funny how that happens. YOU ARE CRAZY !!! Then they say .. you were right!!

Nope it counts you might look back in this very thread where I say Democrats are just as at fault. I know reading is hard sometimes but you can do it.

Yes, it was by reading that I observed you were wrong on ony mentioning SOPA. You need to type the extra 4 letters so members know you are not making yet another typing error.

Yes, it was by reading that I observed you were wrong on ony mentioning SOPA. You need to type the extra 4 letters so members know you are not making yet another typing error.

I was just pointing out after you were very very very wrong about what parties were supporting these legislations you got off topic because you had no response to how wrong you were. I was trying to bring you back to the original ideas of the thread instead of you focusing on typos.

BTW whats a ony?

I do support the need to protect intellectual property. The "information superhighway" as it used to be called gives people the ability to share material that is protected by copyright, such as music. What we need rather than shutting down is a mechanism that "opens up", ie. allows artists or authors of copyright material to benefit from the sharing that takes place. This would still allow sharing and actually benefit the author by giving them more diverse sources of income. One way to do that might be through ISP's.

The decision on whether sharing of the material is illegal or not should be based on the question of a harm principle. If someone writes an excellent op-ed and you post part of it in a forum, along with a link to the source page there is no harm done, the author is still credited. Now it might be that they get some kind of income when people visit their page, by the advertisements they show and there should be some way to address this. Again without shutting down the information. Because on the one hand people who read the clipped article are not necessarily visiting the authors site, but the author does still benefit by having his/ her info distributed to a wider audience. And that helps promote their reputation, and possibly increase the number of "hits" on their page.

If I post an excerpt from a CNN page along with a link, I am referencing their information very similarly to when scientific papers make reference to other articles. Those rules should be looked at in considering a model for protection of intellectual property on the internet.

Edited by Manny