PIPA and SOPA

Do you think all private property should eventually enter the public domain?

Yes.

If it provides a huge benefit to human kind and our way of life and standard of living, yes indeed. If someone wants to keep it to themselves because they want to make money on it are going to end up being the losers.

I do music, and I am not worried about piracy. I am more concerned with someone hijacking my music and claiming it as their own. I can't stop piracy, and the media companies have been fighting piracy for close to 30 years now. The 80s with beta and VHS were also a concern for the media companies. Tape cassettes were also a concern.

My cousin argued that I could make money off my music, and could have the big house all the other famous stars have. And that was not my approach when I started music, never intended or wanted to make money off the music. If I do, great, if not, meh.

But hey, if people ARE pirating my music, I'll take that as a compliment, because you can ask what music are they NOT pirating, and NOT buying in stores as well.

The media companies cannot and don't even seem willing to adjust to the new reality. They want to maintain the control over the content, and the Internet allows us as end users to cut out the middle man. The media companies also make money because they were the only way to have media distributed on a large scale. That is no longer the only avenue people can take to get their stuff out there.

I don't have to go to a record company to get a deal. I don't have to pay them. I also don't have to charge a lot for my stuff because I cut out the middle man and I get all the profits. This is really what these media companies are afraid of, getting marginalized.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='GostHacked' date='20 January 2012 - 09:58 AM' timestamp='1327071536' post='753248'

But hey, if people ARE pirating my music, I'll take that as a compliment, because you can ask what music are they NOT pirating, and NOT buying in stores as well.

I agree.

A great example is my learning to like Blue Rodeo and Great Big Sea. Neither are available south of the border, and I got to like them through file sharing back around 2002-3. Since, I have bought a few CD's and a fair amount off i-Tunes of both, so everyone came out ahead. I would never have spent that $120 or so on their IP if not for sampling it before. I even have a Stompin' Tom CD.

I'll admit I've had less luck buying Dust Rhinos, Spirit of the West, Arrogant Worms, Buddy Wasisname and Mavericks.

I agree.

A great example is my learning to like Blue Rodeo and Great Big Sea. Neither are available south of the border, and I got to like them through file sharing back around 2002-3. Since, I have bought a few CD's and a fair amount off i-Tunes of both, so everyone came out ahead. I would never have spent that $120 or so on their IP if not for sampling it before. I even have a Stompin' Tom CD.

I'll admit I've had less luck buying Dust Rhinos, Spirit of the West, Arrogant Worms, Buddy Wasisname and Mavericks.

Well you ought to know, eh. I mean, copying others or having them copy your writing, as you claim to be the case, is really your specialty on these forums.

I mean, very few of us have someone copying everything we write here verbatim on Rabble.ca. What an honour

Edited by Manny