Caterpillar Trying to Cut Wags & Benefits by 50% when Profitable

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/caterpillar-sets-new-pay-terms-for-london-workers/article2288403/

CAW officials have said the offer is unacceptable because it includes a more than 50-per-cent reduction in wage and health-care benefits, and an elimination of pension benefits.

Even when Caterpillar profits rose 44% by October

“We’re having a great year in 2011, and 2012 is shaping up to be better,” said Douglas R. Oberhelman, Caterpillar’s chief executive.

In Conservatopia, when a company is hugely profitable... what do we do with workers? Cut their wage!

With a government that sides with corporations in all scenarios. Corporations have been given the green light by the Harper Government to treat workers (The majority of Canadians) like crap. And they are running with it.

Let's get ourselves out of this bad economy by paying everyone less, so we can't generate as much economic activity!

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...With a government that sides with corporations in all scenarios. Corporations have been given the green light by the Harper Government to treat workers (The majority of Canadians) like crap. And they are running with it.

Not sure that your conclusions have merit, as overall profitability for CAT does not mean that Electromotive enjoys the same profit margin(s). Moreover, what exactly does the "Harper Government " (sic) have in the way of leverage over a multinational corporation like Caterpillar? If the CAW and Cat cannot/will not come to terms, then the plant should be shuttered and moved to a location with labor costs that meet company objectives for a very competitive sector /market.

In Conservatopia, when a company is hugely profitable... what do we do with workers? Cut their wage!

With a government that sides with corporations in all scenarios. Corporations have been given the green light by the Harper Government to treat workers (The majority of Canadians) like crap. And they are running with it.

clear Harper Conservative myopia in sanctioning the initial foreign investment takeover by Caterpillar. Since the takeover, it's now been shown that Caterpillar has moved to setup 3 other non-Canadian plants to manufacture the EMD locomotives... this Caterpillar acquisition was, plain and simple, a takeover of a competitor where they have now realized the technology gains Electro-Motive held. Clearly, Caterpillar now looks to be proceeding in a classic move to shutter the Canadian EM unit.

Just as it should...shareholder value wins out over union coddling. If the CAW can do better, buy the plant and prove it.

ya, ya... so they can build the locomotives in Mexico, hey? :lol: By the by, do you view the massive loss of U.S. manufacturing to overseas investments as... like shareholder value? Of course you do!

ya, ya... so they can build the locomotives in Mexico, hey? :lol: By the by, do you view the massive loss of U.S. manufacturing to overseas investments as... like shareholder value? Of course you do!

Why yes...I do. I don't know why one would continue to champion disenfranchising global labor in favor of an unsustainable wage and benefit structure in Canada or the USA, especially when such products are sold around the world. Did the CAW feel sorry for the loss of American union jobs when parts of US operations were outsourced to Canada? I think not....

Just as it should...shareholder value wins out over union coddling. If the CAW can do better, buy the plant and prove it.

Since the Chinese can manufacture weapons cheaper the corporations with plants in the U.S. should just shut down, move those jobs to China and start having them build all your weapons and military craft.

I mean since you're all about supporting those who can do it cheaper...

I've already stated my opinion on this several times. This is probably the 3rd thread where this has come up.

The working class has to start treating this for what it is....a war by the right wing to force the working class back into slave labour.

No, we just want to force leftwingers like you into slave labour. I've read your file, pal, don't make any plans for next christmas, you won't have the money! :lol:

Since the Chinese can manufacture weapons cheaper the corporations with plants in the U.S. should just shut down, move those jobs to China and start having them build all your weapons and military craft.

That is already underway....see Boeing China:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2011-04/18/content_12345171.htm

I mean since you're all about supporting those who can do it cheaper...

Fine by me....if it can be built there so be it. Why should Chinese firms only buy aircraft made in the USA or Europe when spending their money? This is the exact whining noise that Canada made for Auto Pact (APTA).

Why yes...I do. I don't know why one would continue to champion disenfranchising global labor in favor of an unsustainable wage and benefit structure in Canada or the USA, especially when such products are sold around the world. Did the CAW feel sorry for the loss of American union jobs when parts of US operations were outsourced to Canada? I think not....

bully... the rust-belt of America thanks you for your championing cheap Asian labour! Ooh-rah! :lol:

bully... the rust-belt of America thanks you for your championing cheap Asian labour! Ooh-rah! :lol:

Actually, the rust belt of America is retooling with and without union labor. The United States remains the largest manufacturing country in the world, and operations have been expanded to include plants for global markets. Just thinking in terms of North America is so 1980's. Asian manufacturers have flocked to American markets as well.

But this thread is about Cat bailing on the CAW in Canada...heh heh....I know you can't help 'merkinizing things.

Actually, the rust belt of America is retooling with and without union labor. The United States remains the largest manufacturing country in the world, and operations have been expanded to include plants for global markets. Just thinking in terms of North America is so 1980's. Asian manufacturers have flocked to American markets as well.

however you want to ‘spin’ the stats, America has lost 8 million manufacturing jobs since its peak… of course, you quite easily rationalize that to ‘productivity/efficiency’ gains and your favoured increasing ‘shareholder value’. I’ve been through parts of Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania… I’ve seen first-hand what your increased ‘shareholder value’ has wrought. As for your suggested ‘retooling’, a most enlightening stat I read is that for the first time in almost 2 decades, last year - 2010, America had a net gain in manufacturing jobs… in the order of ~ 140, 000… apparently, a large segment of those are so-called ‘green jobs’. Bully, hey?

But this thread is about Cat bailing on the CAW in Canada...heh heh....I know you can't help 'merkinizing things.

merkinizing things? I pointed out the initial failure of Harper Conservatives allowing the U.S. foreign investment takeover… and, of course, I pointed out that the extended reach of your favoured ‘shareholder value’ will most likely see the like/equivalent locomotives built in a Mexican Caterpillar factory. Asking you your views on like U.S. manufacturing losses in lieu of your favoured ‘shareholder value’ was simply a logical extrapolation. As always, your personal confidence and identity issues in being an American come to the fore-front. Actually, I was quite taken back with your own overt merkinizing! :lol:

ya, ya... so they can build the locomotives in Mexico, hey? By the by, do you view the massive loss of U.S. manufacturing to overseas investments as... like shareholder value? Of course you do!
Why yes...I do. I don't know why one would continue to champion disenfranchising global labor in favor of an unsustainable wage and benefit structure in Canada
or the USA
, especially when such products are sold around the world. Did the CAW feel sorry for the loss of
American
union jobs when parts of
US
operations were outsourced to Canada? I think not....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/caterpillar-sets-new-pay-terms-for-london-workers/article2288403/

Even when Caterpillar profits rose 44% by October

Let's get ourselves out of this bad economy by paying everyone less, so we can't generate as much economic activity!

Aside from your post containing no actual information, and only some talking points from the CAW, it fails to answer several important questions.

Is that particular plant profitable or does it lose money?

Are their wages in line with the wages of other Caterpillar employees in other plants doing similar jobs?

Are the rise in sales from October indicative of future growth, or just a rebound from the huge plunge in sales from the previous couple of years?

Anyways, I'm suprised many of you people care this much about Caterpiller. Do you realize what kind of carbon footprint they leave? Do you realize the type of machinery they build? Do you realize who uses their equipment? *whisper* Oil sands. :lol:

Anyways, I'm suprised many of you people care this much about Caterpiller. Do you realize what kind of carbon footprint they leave? Do you realize the type of machinery they build? Do you realize who uses their equipment? *whisper* Oil sands. :lol:

locomotives in the *whisper* tar sands?

For all of you anti-union out there, you better get behind them and support them and I'll tell you why. If the workers, union or non-union are sent packing and lose their job because the company want to go to Mexico or other Third World countries then its going to be YOU, who are still working, going to be supporting the country through higher taxes because with a very high unemployment in Canada, the government won't have the revenue to meet its demands. So, how is the cutting corp. taxes helping this country right now, Its not. Business is seating on trillion of dollars and they aren't going to hire while there's fear out there. Today, if you have a job you are very lucky, and I can see the unrest out there and the government is going to pay for it and they should quit hiding behind the "world economy" because they put us in the red BEFORE its started.

For all of you anti-union out there, you better get behind them and support them and I'll tell you why. If the workers, union or non-union are sent packing and lose their job because the company want to go to Mexico or other Third World countries then its going to be YOU, who are still working.....

I don't know why there be so much hatin' on Mexico and Mexicans around here....remember, Canada only has 8% of the Norte American population...why should Canada have a larger portion of jobs? Does the liberal minded workers rights mindset stop at the northern border?

Welcome to Harperland where the government agrees to let non-Canadian companies buy out successful ones at the cost that they pay nice for a year then shut down the company until workers agree to take huge cuts. That is the country we live in for right now I guess.

That would also be Martinland and Chretienland....direct solicitation of foreign investment has been the mainstay of Canadian business and industry strategy for at least a generation. Tell them darn foreigners to just go home and take their money with them!