Occupy Wall Street

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the US, but starting this weekend Canada will have its own protest starting in Vancouver and Toronto and Calgary. Nothing wrong with people protesting just as long as it doesn't turn into the G20 destruction. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/occupy-canada-plans-shape-150525199.html

The G20 protesters haven't had a good gig for some time. They want a job just like everyone else and Rent-a-Protestor has just the right one for them.

That's quite a bit uglier than I expected. It won't influence policymakers. If these times are anything like 1968 this kind of disorder may guarantee the election of a Republican President in 2012.

That's the US, but starting this weekend Canada will have its own protest starting in Vancouver and Toronto and Calgary. Nothing wrong with people protesting just as long as it doesn't turn into the G20 destruction. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/occupy-canada-plans-shape-150525199.html

I was at the G20, it was only a small group of people doing any damage, the vast majority were peacefully protesting.

This video pretty much sums up this stupid protest

And yet, underneath it, there is a point. Wide income disparity does not lead to a productive social order, particularly when some of the high salary earners were little more than witless gamblers and thieves.

I think the protests are pointless, confused, muddled and completely unintelligible. But I do think it's time to start considering that there is a point at which concentration of wealth becomes a bad thing.

Wide income disparity does not lead to a productive social order

How's the social order in North Korea, or Cuba? They have very little income disparity.

particularly when some of the high salary earners were little more than witless gamblers and thieves.

A very small percentage of high salary earners.

I think the protests are pointless, confused, muddled and completely unintelligible. But I do think it's time to start considering that there is a point at which concentration of wealth becomes a bad thing.

As long as someone earns their wealth through legal and reputable means, I couldn't care less. It's none of my business, and I'm not entitled to anyone else's labour and/or private property.

And yet, underneath it, there is a point. Wide income disparity does not lead to a productive social order, particularly when some of the high salary earners were little more than witless gamblers and thieves.

Income disparity is a problem when there are no opportunities to improve ones financial situation. The financial crisis took opportunities away.

If a working class person is making money, why should they care if a business person has a few more zeros in their bank account?

I'm really not sure why people are expecting a clear crafted message that has been run by a legal department and spin-doctors. This is a movement of people out to identify something that they view is a problem. It's not up to them to solve the problem. That's the politicians' job. You have people occupying round the clock for an entire month. It's hardly surprising that you will come across objectionable things. These aren't the things that define the protest. It's like taking all of the objectionable things any Republican or Democrat has said, putting those things together and saying, "here's their platform."

As long as someone earns their wealth through legal and reputable means, I couldn't care less.

It's striking that so many of the protesters are sporting designer label duds and communicating through the latest technological gadgets. They made a conscious decision to purchase those goods and in the process have enriched the very corporations they have a gripe with. I mean, if you're going to rail against obscene corporate and stock market profits the smart thing to do would be to stop buying their products. Shouting slogans and waving signs will in no way affect a company's bottom line.

if you're going to rail against obscene corporate and stock market profits the smart thing to do would be to stop buying their products.
Society is already structured this way. There's no way to opt out of it. It's absurd to expect them to live like the Amish. Certainly, they can underline a problem in society, while recognizing that they live in that society and are confined by its rules.

Society is already structured this way. There's no way to opt out of it. It's absurd to expect them to live like the Amish. Certainly, they can underline a problem in society, while recognizing that they live in that society and are confined by its rules.

What rules? No one forces them to buy the latest trendy consumer gadgets.

Occupy Wall Street. The basic premise seems simple, and just. Those on Wall Street were some of the ones greatly responsible for the recent economic meltdown. Because of their greed, stupid risk-taking, and short-sightedness. They deserve our collective middle finger salute, no matter where you stand on the political spectrum.

And who cares if the protesters have laptops and digital camera? The point isn't that corporations are irrelevant and shouldn't exist, the point is that they acted and still act wrongly & people are rightly PO'd, and if you aren't PO'd you're a sucker.

Occupy Wall Street. The basic premise seems simple, and just. Those on Wall Street were some of the ones greatly responsible for the recent economic meltdown. Because of their greed, stupid risk-taking, and short-sightedness. They deserve our collective middle finger salute, no matter where you stand on the political spectrum.

And who cares if the protesters have laptops and digital camera? The point isn't that corporations are irrelevant and shouldn't exist, the point is that they acted and still act wrongly & people are rightly PO'd, and if you aren't PO'd you're a sucker.

Blaming the fat cats on wall street is the ultimate scapegoat. Also it does nothing to solve the problems. I think its safe to say there were some management and banker mistakes, that was made obvious. However that's only half the story, there is a sense of "keeping up with the jones's" that is a part of the north american psyche. Its buying things on borrowed money that don't produce anything. If the average joe was smarter with his money and didn't have a sense of entitlement, there wouldn't be this mess.

It takes two to tango,the idiots wanted houses they couldn't afford, bankers were stupid enough to lend to them, and to top it off we have politicians were stupid enough to use their power to not only enable, but encourage it.

The big sucker is the protesters, they will vote for the next politician selling them the same old easy money/your entitled to your entitlements snake oil.

The tea partiers and the occupy protestors need to quit blaming scapegoats and realize that everyone in the country is to blame. They vote for incompetant politicians, they vote for incompetant boards of directors in companies that fail, they buy things that they can't afford, and finally they lend to people who can't pay them back.

The protesters shouldn't be protesting the fat cats, they should be protesting themselves.

Those that oppose Occupy Wall Street would probably be well served to read this Open Letter to that 53% Guy. Who's that? He's a marine that posed for a picture holding a sign with the following written on it:

I am a former Marine.

I work two jobs.

I don’t have health insurance.

I worked 60-70 hours a week for 8 years to pay my way through college.

I haven’t had 4 consecutive days off in over 4 years.

But I don’t blame Wall Street.

Suck it up you whiners.

I am the 53%.

God bless the USA!

It seems many of you are using similar arguments. Perhaps you should read what Max Udargo says in response.

No one forces them to buy the latest trendy consumer gadgets.

Apple’s iPhone 4 Launch Draws Huge Crowds Worldwide

If you thought that the hype was settling down, guess again: iPhone-hungry masses lined up outside Apple stores around the world Thursday, eager to get their hands on Apple’s latest smartphone.

“The line is longer than expected. I wish they had it more organized by time frame like they do at the genius bar,” said Robert Arnold-Kraft, a line waiter outside Apple’s downtown San Francisco store.

“My legs are already cramping up. It’s almost been two hours. This launch is bigger than a blackout sale,” said Joseph Canino, in San Francisco.

“The line here is about 2,000 people deep! Ughh,” tweeted Sandra Saldivar, in Modesto, California.

In fact, the launch of the iPhone 4 may have drawn the largest crowds ever. In New York, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Tokyo, Paris and London, thousands of would-be customers queued up, some camping out overnight, to get a chance to buy the phone.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/iphone-4-launch-crowds/

After getting their mitts on the coveted iPhone4, they'll skip or skateboard over to the closest #occcupy site. :o

Guest American Woman

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/iphone-4-launch-crowds/

After getting their mitts on the coveted iPhone4, they'll skip or skateboard over to the closest #occcupy site. :o

“Sad to announce the death of Steve Jobs,” a Twitter account called @OPWallStreet tweeted Wednesday night, not long after Mr. Jobs's death was announced. "Much of Occupy Wall Street and the tech community respect you & will miss you.”

Hmmmm. CEO. Ultra-rich. Respect. <_<

Blaming the fat cats on wall street is the ultimate scapegoat. Also it does nothing to solve the problems. I think its safe to say there were some management and banker mistakes, that was made obvious. However that's only half the story, there is a sense of "keeping up with the jones's" that is a part of the north american psyche. Its buying things on borrowed money that don't produce anything. If the average joe was smarter with his money and didn't have a sense of entitlement, there wouldn't be this mess.

It takes two to tango,the idiots wanted houses they couldn't afford, bankers were stupid enough to lend to them, and to top it off we have politicians were stupid enough to use their power to not only enable, but encourage it.

The big sucker is the protesters, they will vote for the next politician selling them the same old easy money/your entitled to your entitlements snake oil.

The tea partiers and the occupy protestors need to quit blaming scapegoats and realize that everyone in the country is to blame. They vote for incompetant politicians, they vote for incompetant boards of directors in companies that fail, they buy things that they can't afford, and finally they lend to people who can't pay them back.

The protesters shouldn't be protesting the fat cats, they should be protesting themselves.

:lol: :lol:

Ya and they're really interested in what you think they "should" do.

Edited by jacee

Ya and they're really interested in what you think they "should" do.

And apparently more than 99% of north Americans are "really interested" in protesting!!!! How's north america's version of the Arab spring going? Did they get more than 50,000 protesters in NYC yet? Hell Cairo had another zero on top of that on their quiet days.