Isn't western Canada tired yet?

I've spent many days in Alberta wondering how our province creates the most revenue for our government, yet has Zero say in what happens. I think i speak for most or Western canada when i say i want my peice of the pie. Maybe if the government thought that there was a threat of western seperation they would acctually try and change the government so we have a say.

Please E-mail me at [email protected] with any information of links related to western seperation

You had your say; it just didn't agree with the majority. Live with it. We are not crying in our beer here in BC.

You are not looking for your piece of the pie; you want the whole pie or at least choose how to divy it out.

We want to be Canadians not American wannabees. Harper wanted to suck up to the USA. I think we should look for more diversified trading partners. Putting all ones eggs in the same basket is looking for trouble. Joining with the USA while they are off course would be very bad timing and stupid. Canada still is respected internationally; the USA has down graded their own reputation by arrogantly ignoring International Laws; when it come to their own actions; torturing, degrading prisons; holding them illegally. Invading a country against the wishes of the majority of the Security Council of the UN.

Harper hinted of dismantling our health care system; something most Canadians are proud of and want to fix not to destroy. Yes, it will take more than money. It will take doctors and patients taking responsibility for using the health care system responsibly.

People need to stop running to the doctor with minor ailments that they can remedy themselves. You don't have to run to the doctor every time you get a cold or the flu.

Albertan's don't hate American's unlike you Ceaser. We have alot of respect for those who died in 9/11, and the soldiers fighting in Iraq.

So to you Canada is only a nation that is not like the US, pretty pathetic excuse for a nation that needs the US to defend our borders.

Most Albertan's also are not in the cult of liberalism that you and many other Canadian's are in so drop it.

We want to be Canadians not American wannabees

Time to start appreciating our neighbor to the south a bit more. We are very fortunate in having the USA as our immediate neighbor.. or would you rather it be Cuba? Why should the USA, and by extension American taxpayers, be funding the defence of the entire North American continent? I would go so far as to harmonize our defence and immigration policies with those of the USA. Do you ever wonder why we run into trade difficulties with our largest trading partner when we are unwilling to carry our share of the load when it comes to defence?

Ceasar your a retard, i would never even think of saying we should join America, i cant see where you pulled that from, am i just want my province to have the same voice, not to mention the same rewards. When was the last time you saw big creation of secondary industy in alberta or B.C. . I just think we deserve our share ass-hole

the bigt; you are an ingnorant twerp. The USA had no just cause for invading Iraq which was disarming. It took the focus off the war on the real terrorists. The USA has no right to ignore Geneva convention holding prisoner in Cuba. The USA has no right to torture prisoners. Yes, at this time; I would prefer Cuba. Fortunately, the American people and courts are realizing where Bush has taken them. It is too late now to avoid the Iraq issue: but it is the American's problem not ours. They destroyed the county"s infrastructure and brought terrorists into that country. The made the mess; they can pay for cleaning up the mess. The young soldiers who risk and lost their lives have my respect and sympathy; they are doing what is ordered of them. Bush was willing to allow some of these young soldiers to take the rap for torturing the prisoners. It will prove to be coming on orders all the way back to the White house.

Creating any industry in your province or mine foul mouth bigt is a company's job and the Province to attract the companies there. It is not what our federal government is for. DUH.

You sound like a spoilt brat; I want my share wah wah.

I am an Alberta separatist and have been somewhat involved with the separation parties. Unfortunately the separation movement attracts a lot of radicals. The people with the most passion are keeping the movement going but they lack the charisma that it needs to enter mainstream Alberta. While only about 14% of the Province usually favours separation, I get the feeling that it is a lot higher after now after the results of the election.

A good party to look at is the Alberta Alliance Party which isn't extreme. They are not a separatist party but are not opposed to it. They are strong proponents of the Alberta Agenda and have the second largest membership in the province next to the PC's. www.albertaalliance.ca

I've spent many days in Alberta wondering how our province creates the most revenue for our government, yet has Zero say in what happens. I think i speak for most or Western canada when i say i want my peice of the pie. Maybe if the government thought that there was a threat of western seperation they would acctually try and change the government so we have a say.

Here's an idea: stop marginalizing yourselves by voting for the Cons or other no-hope parties.

Most Albertan's also are not in the cult of liberalism that you and many other Canadian's are in so drop it.

Half of all Albertans voted for parties other than the ReformAlCons. You don't speak for them.

Posted on Jul 5 2004, 01:37 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (Black Dog @ Jul 5 2004, 04:55 PM)

Half of all Albertans voted for parties other than the ReformAlCons. You don't speak for them. 

You lie.... you must be a liberal

Whoops. I was actually looking at the whole Prairies. In Alberta, 40 per cent of Albertans went liberal, ND or Green. Not half, but close. That said, though, across western Canada, Liberal, NDP and Green voters (2,046,218)still outnumbered Conservative supporters (1,771,652).

I am an Alberta separatist and have been somewhat involved with the separation parties. Unfortunately the separation movement attracts a lot of radicals. The people with the most passion are keeping the movement going but they lack the charisma that it needs to enter mainstream Alberta. While only about 14% of the Province usually favours separation, I get the feeling that it is a lot higher after now after the results of the election.

A good party to look at is the Alberta Alliance Party which isn't extreme. They are not a separatist party but are not opposed to it. They are strong proponents of the Alberta Agenda and have the second largest membership in the province next to the PC's. www.albertaalliance.ca

I agree that Alberta should not consider seperation but the Alberta Agenda. Right now I think that many people think that my views are extreme even though I support Civil Union's, and am more akin to Howard Dean.

Yes, at this time; I would prefer Cuba

Surprise, Surprise. You would prefer a dictatorship were the people are oppressed and freedom of religion is oppressed. I believe that Castro had persecuted christian's right, its okay for Castro to torture christians, but at the same time its alot better than the US trying to jail terrorists, and torturing them to get info about any future terrorist attacks.

I am in favor of harmonizing customs and immigration with the United States. That is a great idea. Then a Canadian could get a job in the United States as lets say a police officer, and an American can get a job in Canada without the immigration BS.

I've talked to alot of American's, and many, if not all, are friendly people. I hate seeing people like Ceaser, and Black Dog spew their hatred towards them. It seems like its a sport to them to hate anybody south of the border.

For the 2004 election, you can get Elections Canada numbers (seats/vote totals) both nationally and provincially here.

For the 2000 election, you can get Provincial/National vote totals here.

Am I wrong if I say that there is room for only one national/federalist party in Canada?

IOW, the Liberal Party succeeded in the past election in creating the sense that a vote for anyone but the Liberal Party was "unCanadian"?

This thread discusses whether "Westerners" should be upset that their "values" are not shared by more Canadians. (Of course, BQ voters knew all along that the Quebec values are not shared by the rest of Canada.)

IOW, the only party in Canada that attracts voters for "pan-Canadian values" is the Liberal Party.

Yet another way to state this is to say that the Liberal Party should rename itself the Canadian Party. (In effect, this is what the Parti Québécois is within Quebec.)

The implication here is that rural voters tend to identify more with their region. Urban voters identify with the country.

Canada is a country of rocks and trees. Urban Canadians are the least confident of the lot, and probably stand to lose the most from the demise of Canada as we know it. Not only would Ontario become Michigan, but Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton and Winnipeg would become St. Louis, Buffalo or Cleveland.

As far as I can see, the past election was SN, AFU.

What's "new"? The support of Quebecers for a regional party. The success of attack ads. These will both be with us for the foreseeable future.

I've spent many days in Alberta wondering how our province creates the most revenue for our government, yet has Zero say in what happens.

First, Alberta doesn't have 'zero say'. You elect members to Parliament. Second, wealth is not supposed to be the measure of decisionmaking influence in a democracy.

I think i speak for most or Western canada when i say i want my peice of the pie.

What is that, exactly, in your view?