Most Overplayed Songs

bloodyminded

No Shady, it is you who should be.

It is controlled by corporate and listener call -ins cannot request anything they want since the station will not play it.

There are untold stations without any DJ....so who is picking that play list?

Read it an apologize....er...yeah..its you so just read it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/20/opinion/editorial-observer-trouble-with-corporate-radio-day-protest-music-died.html

Correct, you have HOSTS. Or 'radio personalities'. They do not get to pick what they play. Even the producer of the show does not get to pick what they play. Someone in another city at the head of the corporation gets to determine what the playlist is. I've been aware of this since the late 80s.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the genesis of all over-played songs was "Nights in White Satin", by the Moody Blues. It pre-dated "Stairway To Heaven" by being first released in 1967. It came back in 1972 and then once again in 1979! Each time it hit well up in the charts and by 1979 it seemed to be everywhere. You could tune several different stations and often hear it being played on all of them at the same time!

It IS a very beautiful song and I've never forgiven those who overplayed it and ruined it for so many of us.

This is highly personal and also depends on what radio station/ media source you are listening to. In my case for Jazz it's anything by Stacey Kent!

Or Emily Claire-Barlow.

Or Pat Metheney, whom I used to like but they play him far too much.

How about some Grant Green Sr., or Lenny Breau?

Or even, Miles Davis for cripes sake

This is highly personal and also depends on what radio station/ media source you are listening to. In my case for Jazz it's anything by Stacey Kent!

Or Emily Claire-Barlow.

Or Pat Metheney, whom I used to like but they play him far too much.

How about some Grant Green Sr., or Lenny Breau?

Or even, Miles Davis for cripes sake

Oh yeah, and here's another one- "Polka Dots and Moonbeams".

Yecch!

FAR too overplayed!

Correct, you have HOSTS. Or 'radio personalities'. They do not get to pick what they play. Even the producer of the show does not get to pick what they play. Someone in another city at the head of the corporation gets to determine what the playlist is. I've been aware of this since the late 80s.

That is a gross generalization. Some stations do what you say, the vast majority do not.

And there is good business reasons not to. Local radio plays to a local market, responds to a local market and is in touch with what the local market wants.

I mean....if you are going to pay big bucks to have a radio personality provide colour, it doesn't cost a cent more to let him pick his music.

I mean....if you are going to pay big bucks to have a radio personality provide colour, it doesn't cost a cent more to let him pick his music.

Just so long as it fits the approved genre or playlist. In which case, yeah, what the other guy said.

Just so long as it fits the approved genre or playlist. In which case, yeah, what the other guy said.

approved genre, definately, their license depends on that. You get a jazz licens and you start playing hippity hoppity, you could lose your licence.

I remember growing up in Montreal, listening to Chom (chom n'est pas un reve, chom is not a dream....)...the DJs knowing that their audience was not entirely anglophone started mixing a lot of franglais in the banter....even playing french cancon (beaux dommage, charlebois, dufresne) along with Genesis, T-Rex....

They were slapped down by the CRTC. They were told that they had an english mandate....

There is really no business benefit to restrain a dj playing the music he wants (provided it fits the format). The days of payola have passed....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payola

Now the real handcuffs that are placed on stations and djs, telling then what they should play is from the CRTC. They must play a percentage of Canadian music. End of story.

I like to know from the people here, boomers espeically, which radio station you listen to as a teen? For me is was CKLW out Windsor On. I think many in SW Ontario listen to that station, It also went deep into the US and because of the changes, where more Canadian content, it soon changed into talk radio. I found some history of it and the DJ's. CKLW, played a major roll in making many groups and singers records into hits in the 60's and 70's. http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/bigeight.html

There's some real crap out there all right but what always leaves me feeling like kicking the crap out of something whenever I hear it is In The Mood by Rush. By far the most puerile song since...Jesus Loves Me...

Oh and Mambo # 5. Any radio station that plays Lou Bega's version should have anthrax mailed to it's headquarters.

Edited by eyeball

I like to know from the people here, boomers espeically, which radio station you listen to as a teen? For me is was CKLW out Windsor On. I think many in SW Ontario listen to that station, It also went deep into the US and because of the changes, where more Canadian content, it soon changed into talk radio. I found some history of it and the DJ's. CKLW, played a major roll in making many groups and singers records into hits in the 60's and 70's. http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/bigeight.html

I'm not a boomer, but I listened to CFNY here in Toronto and when i was visiting the Windsor/Detroit area (which was a lot) it was 98X I believe, one of the best stations around.

Kurt Cobain. He has one song - Smells Like Teen Spirit. Chez FM plays it at least every couple of hours.

George Thorowgood. Again, he has one song - One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer.

Anything by AC/DC or Metallica. I can't tell if they have more than one song. Whatever they play, the screaming and pounding sounds the same.

Life is a highway

...and I'm sad to say I'm getting right sick of Feist. The lady makes truly fine music, but the short list has been done to death.

The ultimate overplayed song, though, is Anne Murray's Snowbird. It's been 40 years since it was every second song on every station, but I still want to run out of the room screaming when I hear the opening bars.

There's some real crap out there all right but what always leaves me feeling like kicking the crap out of something whenever I hear it is In The Mood by Rush. By far the most puerile song since...Jesus Loves Me...

Oh and Mambo # 5. Any radio station that plays Lou Bega's version should have anthrax mailed to it's headquarters.

Amen.

Kurt Cobain. He has one song - Smells Like Teen Spirit. Chez FM plays it at least every couple of hours.

George Thorowgood. Again, he has one song - One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer.

Anything by AC/DC or Metallica. I can't tell if they have more than one song. Whatever they play, the screaming and pounding sounds the same.

Huh??

Cobain was the lead singer and guitar player in Nirvana...And Smells like Teen Spirit is one song off the spectacular Nevermind album...

We have this album,and that group, to thank forever for decimating the gay '80's hair bands in one fell swoop!!!

The following album,In Utero, is as spectacular if more introspective and darker..In fact,it contains my favourite Nirvana tune...Francis Farmer Will Get Her Revenge On Seattle...

George Thoroughgood has many songs...Some are covers of John Lee Hooker tunes like the one you mentioned...some are originals...Check out Gear Jammer...

The only AC/DC is the Bon Scott AC/DC...The rest is crap...

The only AC/DC is the Bon Scott AC/DC...The rest is crap...

Back in Black, when it came out, was THE album from start to finish. If you didn't know them before, you knew them after. But Back in Black distinguished them from Slade.

Although some of the tunes now are overplayed. Shook Me All Night Long. Yawn.

Razor's Edge is a pretty good album too.

Back in Black, when it came out, was THE album from start to finish. If you didn't know them before, you knew them after. But Back in Black distinguished them from Slade.

Although some of the tunes now are overplayed. Shook Me All Night Long. Yawn.

Razor's Edge is a pretty good album too.

I 'll take Let There Be Rock,Highway To Hell,Dirty Deeds etc over anything Brian Johnson did...

It's like Van Halen...There are the albums up to 1984 and then there's nothing...

I like to know from the people here, boomers espeically, which radio station you listen to as a teen? For me is was CKLW out Windsor On. I think many in SW Ontario listen to that station, It also went deep into the US and because of the changes, where more Canadian content, it soon changed into talk radio. I found some history of it and the DJ's. CKLW, played a major roll in making many groups and singers records into hits in the 60's and 70's.

CHEZ FM 106.1 in Ottawa. I remember a fine day in 1977, at a campground north of Ottawa, when my older brother switched the radio over to this 'new' station. No more 1440 CFGO for me, from then on it was 'shay' all the way.

CHOM as well when we could get it through cable I think.

Wayyy back in the day it was Tennn-Fifty CHUMmmm... :D

I 'll take Let There Be Rock,Highway To Hell,Dirty Deeds etc over anything Brian Johnson did...

It's like Van Halen...There are the albums up to 1984 and then there's nothing...

I would too, except for Back in Black. That album seemed to hit at the right time too, just as music videos were starting to hit.

Fully agree about Van Halen. Don't even get me started on Van Hagar... :angry:

That is a gross generalization. Some stations do what you say, the vast majority do not.

And there is good business reasons not to. Local radio plays to a local market, responds to a local market and is in touch with what the local market wants.

Morris, where are you getting the info for your opinion? I was plugged into that industry for years, visiting the station engineers to sell them electronics parts. I have many friends who are DJs and such, all over Ontario.

Everything I've seen and been told says that YOU are wrong!

Stations have been buying what are called "playlists" for years. Supplying companies have "numbers" on the appeal of every song, at any particular time slot of the 24 hour day. Some songs give better numbers of listeners in the morning than late at night, depending on if you just woke up or if you are relaxing in an easy chair, or cruisin' in a car through the evening with your friends, a la Wayne Campbell/Mike Meyers.

They NEVER work without a playlist because most of the managers no longer are in touch with the music of their target audience. Either their age is wrong or they aren't big fans of their stations genre. It's not a problem. That's what the playlist companies do! Without the numbers managers have no confidence in the appeal of a particular song and the numbers are the exclusive driver of every broadcaster. Numbers determine listeners and listener numbers determine what you can charge for your commercials. That's how a station pays its bills!

Playlists of course have led to some negative consequences. First off, the Canadian Content rules. Stations have to play about 30% of their music from Canadian sources. They do, from the same old list every day! It costs money to stay on top of what's popular today in Canada so unless your format is specifically aimed at the kids, why bother? Much easier to simply keep playing the same old Lightfoot, Rush, or whatever. Are they overplayed? Sure, but who cares? It keeps the government off the station's back, cheap! There's absolutely no effort from the CRTC to help grow new Canadian music. 30% is required, new or old. Stations do it the cheapest way possible.

Also, an entire era of music has vanished from the radio! Old hippies like me remember how in the late 60's and early 70's FM radio was king! It was a new avenue. Up till then it was mostly for classical music, leaving all the popular music to AM radio. As rock and roll evolved, with the psychedelic bands like Jefferson Airplane, Steppenwolf, Mountain and many others moving to album markets, all the serious listeners of the time followed it to the FM band. There were big changes between the AM and FM industries. First off, AM had kept scrupulous records of what they played. DJs pulled their own playlists but they kept track of what they played along with any phone calls and listener reactions, both good and bad. That's where the data for the Playlist companies of today originated. Those were the seeds of their "numbers".

FM jocks didn't keep any numbers at all. They were usually too stoned! They pulled their own songs to play. The old 3-minute AM format for a song was a thing of the past. Some album songs would run 10-12 minutes. Some even took up 30, the entire side of one album! These cuts were great for a DJ that needed a break for the washroom!

Because FM left no number history, companies forming playlists for today's "classic rock" stations rely on AM Top 40 numbers from those times. So we never hear all the songs that generation listened to on albums. We only hear the Top 40 3 minute hit version. Many hugely popular album bands never had an AM pop hit! They sold millions of albums yet are never heard today.

Occasionally we hear a station like Q107 in Toronto hiring some old DJ who worked in those days to make playlists of album rock. That's where they get "Psychedelic Sundays" and other special programming but most of the week is still done with "numbers" playlists.

Some folks think this is part of the reason why the age demographic of boomers who grew up in the formative years of rock no longer listen as much to the radio. It's not that they don't like music any more. They just don't hear what they were weaned on! When they were teenagers they wouldn't have been caught dead listening to AM radio! AM was for manufactured pop music, with manufactured stars appealing to pre-pubescent young girls.

No, that boomer demographic had choices. They likely still have collections of their preferred music, either on CD or they may even have kept their own vinyl. If radio won't play what they really like then screw radio!

There is the added advantage that old farts like me can leave their CDs in the car with no worries about some kid breaking in to steal them. No kid today would want a CD of Crowbar, Rhinoceros or Mountain! Actually, kids today no longer buy or steal CDs at all! It's all downloads. Download sales are still not that popular with boomers because the selection tends to be limited. Lots of Lady Gaga and current artists but a very poor library of older rock. MBA's at iTunes can tell their staff "Don't bother chasing sales with the Boomers! They don't download much!" Of course they don't download much. There's nothing for them but cuts from Lady Gaga.

So anyhow, as I said I have a lot of input from that industry, Morris. Everything contradicts your claim. What ARE you basing it on?

My company owns two stations.

Two stations? Really? That's it? What company owns your company?

And mainly we are dealing with corporate radio here, large corporate media conglomerates. Not small two station companies or university radio.

For the most part I agree with Wild Bill and his assertions. I've experienced some of the same things when I was Djing and in radio.

Two stations? Really? That's it? What company owns your company?

The Bank :lol:

For the most part I agree with Wild Bill and his assertions. I've experienced some of the same things when I was Djing and in radio.

University radio don't count...

University radio don't count...

Actually it does. Because working at a Uni radio station and having close friends at the corporate radio station, we were able to compare the difference in what can be done and said on air. I controlled my playlist. Someone else controlled his.

My company owns two stations.

Can I guess which ones?

I think in any urban area you will have a mix but outside that not really.

FOr instance the Moose is across northern and mid-ontario and they do have a morning duo of DJ's but come mid morning they are gone and no announcers. The website doesnt list any DJ's other than the morning crew and a news announcer.

The morning guy is also the PM .

The have stations in Muskoka , Parry Sound, Elliot Lake, North Basy , Bancroft etc. All under the Haliburton Broadcast Group.