NDP to Remove Ruth-Ellen Brosseau From Office?

I have heard rumours that the NDP is attempting to remove Brosseau from her elected office so that she won't sit as an MP. They are doing this by claiming that her nomination papers were not in order. Some of the signatures are incorrect.

If this is true, then this is the first clown intervention in the three ring circus that will become the federal NDP caucus.

Surely more to follow.

Edited by August1991

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard rumours that the NDP is attempting to remove Brosseau from her elected office so that she won't sit as an MP. They are doing this by claiming that her nomination papers were not in order. Some of the signatures are incorrect.

If this is true, then this is the first clown intervention in the three ring circus that will become the federal NDP caucus.

Surely more to follow.

Great, we're allowed to post idle speculation and rumors now? Mods, kill this thread. And boo this man.

I have heard rumours that the NDP is attempting to remove Brosseau from her elected office so that she won't sit as an MP.

In reality, the NDP is defending her in response to questions raised by Elections Canada. But don't let reality get in the way of a good controversy.

If this is the case, do they have to hold a bi-election so soon?

31. (1) Where a vacancy occurs in the House of Commons, a writ shall be issued between the 11th day and the 180th day after the receipt by the Chief Electoral Officer of the warrant for the issue of a writ for the election of a member of the House.

- Parliament of Canada Act

So it does not have to happen right away, but basically within six months.

So it does not have to happen right away, but basically within six months.

It seems the NDP has no say in the matter, but is entirely an Elections Canada matter.

I'd like to know, if it takes six months for a bi-election would she be entitled to collect her MPs salary? Yearly salary is $157,000 so that would amount to $80,000 plus expenses. She has never once stepped into the riding during the campaign so I expect she also wouldn't show up once in the House. :huh:

It seems the NDP has no say in the matter, but is entirely an Elections Canada matter.

I'd like to know, if it takes six months for a bi-election would she be entitled to collect her MPs salary? Yearly salary is $157,000 so that would amount to $80,000 plus expenses. She has never once stepped into the riding during the campaign so I expect she also wouldn't show up once in the House. :huh:

I imagine if Elections Canada deems her election invalid, technically she never was an MP, and thus would be due no benefits, but honestly, this happens so very rarely that I don't actually have an answer.

So, will they award her seat to the BQ candidate, since he came in second?

scouter I think that only applies in the case of recounts. In this case, the charge is fraud. A formal complaint has now been filed with Elections Canada. In essence, those who voted for her did so with the belief that she was a duly nominated candidate, which now doesn't appear to be the case. In fairness to all candidates and to ensure the integrity of the voting process a new election with clean nomination needs to take place. IMHO of course.

There are now claims that the nomination document was presented as a petition to unsuspecting signatories. This article from the French media has all the details.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gSUkhkMxxpPM9hUxsAp_-1Fz-qZQ?docId=6756260

So, will they award her seat to the BQ candidate, since he came in second?

IMO, there's a greater chance of her keeping the seat on the basis of having won it by about 6000 votes. The point of nomination by 100 is to establish that you are a serious candidate... and it appears that point was made.

If I had to bet, I'd say by-election in a few months/ no charges.

EDIT: BTW, most folks get lots more than 100 signatures, just to make sure that more than 100 are valid. Surely to goodness she had help getting them, and it isn't really an issue.

Edited by Molly

IMO, there's a greater chance of her keeping the seat on the basis of having won it by about 6000 votes. The point of nomination by 100 is to establish that you are a serious candidate... and it appears that point was made.

If I had to bet, I'd say by-election in a few months/ no charges.

I'd say that she will be just fine no by-election no nothing.

She will be fine. This is just a bunch of bull kicked up by the Conservatives.

...and the Liberals.

I do find it odd that she hasn't been able to be contacted, though I'm sure party offices told her not to answer phone calls from the media until she gets a little more training.

Regardless, with the amount of new MPs the NDP elected, there are bound to be 1-3 bad apples in it. That's just life. I know for a fact that you can't tell me that in the massive PC and Liberal seat increases that there weren't similar issues with freshmen MPs there.

Just saw Mulcair on CBC now defending her. He said she went through french immersion in school, but 'what is considered bilingual in Ottawa isn't considered bilingual' in her riding, so she has some work to do. Mulcair promised the citizens of her riding that he and his office would be lending her and them whatever assistance was needed until she was up to speed. And he dismissed the supposed memory lapse of one couple who signed her papers as unimportant.

Yah they lost. I get it they don't want the will of the voters in the riding seen through. They all lost and now they are crying.

Oh, so now you're not blaming the Conservatives exclusively as you posted previously. Thanks for the clarification.

In reality, the NDP is defending her in response to questions raised by Elections Canada. But don't let reality get in the way of a good controversy.
I think the report I received is in fact accurate but I will change the thread title. I am sure that Layton/Mulcair would be happy if Brosseau were somehow removed from office. It would solve one of several headaches/fires that they are currently dealing with.
EDIT: BTW, most folks get lots more than 100 signatures, just to make sure that more than 100 are valid. Surely to goodness she had help getting them, and it isn't really an issue.
My first thought about this was that other parties will immediately takes a close look at signatures in other Quebec NDP ridings.
Great, we're allowed to post idle speculation and rumors now? Mods, kill this thread. And boo this man.
If the mods deleted idle speculation and rumour, we wouldn't have much of a forum and it would be oh boring. Edited by August1991

She will be fine. This is just a bunch of bull kicked up by the Conservatives.

Why would the tories care? They have their majority and having an inexperienced mp like this to run against in quebec would be to their advantage. Why would they risk the libs or bloc putting in a stronger candidate?