NDP to Remove Ruth-Ellen Brosseau From Office?

Wow it amazes me how some people here are so disassociated with reality.

This is someone who has won thousands of votes.

She was approved by elections Canada.

She received those votes because the federal NDP approved her candidacy. At issue is the credibility of the NDP in Quebec.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People voted for her because they wanted someone that was going to vote along party lines with the NDP in the House of Commons. They got just that. Layton and Mulcair have both said that she speaks French just not as fluently as a native-speaker. They're going to train her. What more do you want? You want to see her right now, so people can see in the media exactly what they have already admitted to? They've admitted the problems and are already working towards fixing them. Given all the criticism, this ought to inspire her to bust her ass and prove everyone's fears and objections unfounded.

She received those votes because the federal NDP approved her candidacy. At issue is the credibility of the NDP in Quebec.

The reason my comment started with asking why the people here are so disassociated with reality is because many people here believe that you have to be a lawyer or a business ceo or something to run for politics.

Its a well known fact the accumalation of wealth is not a good indicator of inteligence.

Post secondary education is aswell not a good indicator of creative and independant thinking.

However for you guys to be relentlesly attacking this woman is a good indicator of how desperate the reform is looking for dirt.

Tread carefully because if this woman turns out to have a few tricks up her sleeve this will turn around and you will look like a sexist.

WWWTT

That is a thin, thin excuse, and honestly, if folks really are that childishly trusting and naive, that stupid and lazy and undemanding; if they truly are so irresponsible in their choices, then they surely do deserve precisely what they`ve gotten!

If people must be spoon-fed the rudiments of their own governance to the point of needing someone to read them the declarations they`ve signed ... then they haven`t earned the right to be consulted. Better that they shouldn`t vote at all than vote in such stunningly unresearched ignorance. :angry:

Molly, people have lives and other things to do than investigate political candidates. You're a political junkie (like me) who is fascinated by this. Most people are not.

If they trust the leader, and they hear good things about the party, they choose the local candidate under the assumption that the party has done "due diligence". We make many more critical decisions in life based on such reasoning. Do you know which company manufactured the brakes on your car? Have you ever personally verified that the brakes work properly?

----

Molly, I understand your viewpoint and I tend to agree in part. Maybe Quebec voters in the future will question their candidates but I suspect more likely that they'll simply choose more familiar brands.

I agree with you, but let's be honest here; the MP is going to vote the party line. They could put monkeys wearing fez hats in the seats. It doesn't matter these days.

An MP's job involves more than voting. And even if it was only that, why then not make Stephen Harper a federal dictator for four years?

He is.
Really? I trust MPs to stop Harper from putting faulty brakes on cars.

But cybercoma, I see your point. The best defense against a dictator Harper is that Canada is a federal state. Harper can only be a federal dictator. Provincial governments are our best defense against unchecked power.

Really? I trust MPs to stop Harper from putting faulty brakes on cars.

But cybercoma, I see your point. The best defense against a dictator Harper is that Canada is a federal state. Harper can only be a federal dictator. Provincial governments are our best defense against unchecked power.

Right you are! :)

Right you are! :)

It's in this specific time the english canadians can finally understand the importance of no duplications of power. When the federal gets its nose into the provinces' affairs, it can only lead to problems.

When Québec says it, it is bad. When the centrists and the leftists say it because Harper has a majority, out of the sudden, it becomes important.

By the way, as much as I think she is a very bad choice for the people in her riding, the blame lies into the people's choice and they deserve to have her. They knew who she was because the media said it in the news few days before the election. They were free to vote for someone else and they were not ignorants. The people must be accountable of their choice.

Well, maybe she cheated but, to be honest, I don't really care.

We saw her dad in the news today. He speaks a good french. It gives her less good reasons for not speaking decent french. Anyway, if she is doing what it takes to learn french, I applaud and willing to give her a chance.

Edited by Benz

She's inexperienceda and is not entirely fluent in French, but I don't think it's going to be as much of a trainwreck as everyone says. I hope she really goes out of her way to prove everyone wrong. She's already facing greater scrutiny than most other politicians, which is not only unfair but unnecessary.

She's inexperienceda and is not entirely fluent in French, but I don't think it's going to be as much of a trainwreck as everyone says. I hope she really goes out of her way to prove everyone wrong. She's already facing greater scrutiny than most other politicians, which is not only unfair but unnecessary.

All I know about this new MP is what the media is telling me. The reason I would like to hear from her is that I want first hand information to make my own judgment on whether what I have been fed stands up. If I like what I see then I will wish her the best in becoming a good MP.

Oh come on. Can she possibly be worse than Libby Davis or Hedy Fry?

That is the same logic as saying that gonorrhea is better than syphilis. It may be true, but damn, don't we have better choices?

I got a feeling this woman can turn into Kamala!

I have seen the determination and strength of some young single mothers and she could hit the books hard and work relentless to prove many people wrong!

She will definetely get much encouragement from the NDP party and she is the type of candidate the party wants to become successful to attract a large percentage of the vote.

And shame on you people wishing that this person will fail for your own political gain.This is a person with a blessed opportunity to prove something and I wish her the best!

I would not be suprised if a Hollywood producer would want to make a movie about this story!

WWWTT

That is the same logic as saying that gonorrhea is better than syphilis. It may be true, but damn, don't we have better choices?

Maybe, but if you've got syphilis are you gonna worry about gonorrhea?

Tell me you wouldn't rather have three Brousseaus instead of Davis and Fry...

Maybe, but if you've got syphilis are you gonna worry about gonorrhea?

Tell me you wouldn't rather have three Brousseaus instead of Davis and Fry...

Yes, just like if those were the only choices I'd sooner have gonorrhea than syphilis. But like I said, I really wish we had another choice.

Its a well known fact the accumalation of wealth is not a good indicator of inteligence intelligence.

Post secondary education is aswell as well not a good indicator of creative and independant thinking.

But ability to spell when writing in Canadian is a very good indcator of intelligence.

Hedy Fry was a superb crusader against racism and a great leader. I want to pay tribute to the defeated Ruby Dhalla.

But ability to spell when writing in Canadian is a very good indcator of intelligence.

If you're gonna get into these types of stupid "spell" check posts then the least you can do is point out the missing apostrophe in "its [sic]."

Perhaps if you weren't "sofa king wee todd it" when it comes to understanding the emoticons elsewhere on these forums I would let this kind of BS go, but seriously ... you look "sofa king wee todd it."

So, how's that "Canadian" for you? :rolleyes:

I got a feeling this woman can turn into Kamala!

I have no idea what that actually means, so I hit Google to find out more about Kamala, and this is what I found.

I think the rest of her caucus will be very surprised... and quite frightened... if she turns into Kamala.

-k

This can potentially turn into a real opportunity for the NDP, especially in Quebec.

Yes, she shocked that she won; yes, there was some controvery about the signatures and yes, her online profile was embellished by a staffer but consider this:

- She seems to have made a good impression on her first trip to the riding.

- Her name is now well known, not just in her own riding but across Canada. I can't say same for many other MPs especially those Alberta Conservative MPs, who tend to only came out around election time.

- She is a young, single mom coming in with no experience. This especially appeals to youth, women and people who like rooting for the underdog

If I was her, I would work like heck to improve on her French; purchase a house in the riding, participate in as many riding events as possible to get to know the people, and get to know the local issues.

If she does well and after she has some experience behind her; get her involved into topics such youth, childcare and women's issues (and allow her to ask questions in the house re: these issues.) Perhaps go on youth-oriented shows such as Muchmusic and YTV to fight for youth issues and be involved in committees.

If she does well, she can really raise support not just for her but for the NDP in Quebec and potentially in Canada.

Edited by Rovik