NDP to Remove Ruth-Ellen Brosseau From Office?

You are the worst New Democrat ever. Seriously your story has always been suspect, now I just don't believe it.

Thats your opinion, however let me explain. One of the main tenets of the society that we live in, and one I have been prone to teach, is the tenet that hard work pays off dividends. Whether its recognition of a job well done, a diploma, a good job, etc. Not always does this follow hard work, however, I have always taught that things don't just fall into people's laps. One has to work in order to attain anything in life.

As a social democrat, you of all people should understand that if one does the work, they should be compensated fairly for the work they do. While those who don't do any work, should see no rewards. Reverse this concept, and you have the worst form of capitalism on your hands. One that we've happily erased from most of society by bringing in unions and voting for parties such as the CCF and NDP, who have helped people get off their feet and make something of themselves, even when the obstacles were enormous, by developing social programs and basically, fighting for the workers.

But here comes Ms. Rousseau, who happens to be in the right bar, at the right time, performs no work whatsoever, and attains one of the highest positions this Country has to offer. A candidate like this in any other party wouldn't bother me nearly so much. But in the NDP, this candidate rubs me the wrong way, if only because of the values the NDP has always held so dear. That is of hard work, not luck, leading one to higher positions in life.

So what does Ms. Rousseau teach our children? If one wants to get ahead, why bother going to get a higher education and paying for it for the next ten years after graduation. Just hang out in an bar in Ottawa, and there is a chance that you might be signing Bills into Laws within the next few years.

So no, punked, I don't think I am a bad social democrat for calling the NDP out on this issue. To me it takes away from the fundamental aspects of what this party stands for, and always stood for.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats your opinion, however let me explain. One of the main tenets of the society that we live in, and one I have been prone to teach, is the tenet that hard work pays off dividends. Whether its recognition of a job well done, a diploma, a good job, etc. Not always does this follow hard work, however, I have always taught that things don't just fall into people's laps. One has to work in order to attain anything in life.

As a social democrat, you of all people should understand that if one does the work, they should be compensated fairly for the work they do. While those who don't do any work, should see no rewards. Reverse this concept, and you have the worst form of capitalism on your hands. One that we've happily erased from most of society by bringing in unions and voting for parties such as the CCF and NDP, who have helped people get off their feet and make something of themselves, even when the obstacles were enormous, by developing social programs and basically, fighting for the workers.

But here comes Ms. Rousseau, who happens to be in the right bar, at the right time, performs no work whatsoever, and attains one of the highest positions this Country has to offer. A candidate like this in any other party wouldn't bother me nearly so much. But in the NDP, this candidate rubs me the wrong way, if only because of the values the NDP has always held so dear. That is of hard work, not luck, leading one to higher positions in life.

So what does Ms. Rousseau teach our children? If one wants to get ahead, why bother going to get a higher education and paying for it for the next ten years after graduation. Just hang out in an bar in Ottawa, and there is a chance that you might be signing Bills into Laws within the next few years.

So no, punked, I don't think I am a bad social democrat for calling the NDP out on this issue. To me it takes away from the fundamental aspects of what this party stands for, and always stood for.

Cry me a river. She did the work in the party and thus the party nominated her. Stop whining about how she won, she won, and now we will see if she works hard or not. It is that simple.

Cry me a river. She did the work in the party and thus the party nominated her. Stop whining about how she won, she won, and now we will see if she works hard or not. It is that simple.

I'm not crying, except for the fact that its Friday night and I'm answering responses on a political forum :(

We'll see how she does. If she does great, good for her. And if she brings more people interested in politics and especially, out to vote, that would just be even better. But as I mentioned above, its not what she may or may not do that concerns me, its how she got there in the first place. It will be very hard for her to defend party policy, when she, herself, is the exception to it.

I'm not crying, except for the fact that its Friday night and I'm answering responses on a political forum :(

We'll see how she does. If she does great, good for her. And if she brings more people interested in politics and especially, out to vote, that would just be even better. But as I mentioned above, its not what she may or may not do that concerns me, its how she got there in the first place. It will be very hard for her to defend party policy, when she, herself, is the exception to it.

People get into parliament all the time for all kinds of differing reasons. Hers is no better and no worse then anyones.

I know because you think you should have got the job with out doing the work of party building yourself.

I have done the work. Trust me. I helped my father as a teenager, go door to door in a Liberal stronghold and watched my father get laughed at. When he passed on, I was left with his membership, and I still have his old CCF membership card. I remember him being called all kinds of names for following a "Communist" party who was supposedly hell bent to ruin the free market.

I followed in his footsteps and helped with campaigns of NDP candidates in Montreal until my early thirties. I spoke about the NDP at Concordia University, where I started my post secondary education in Political Science, then shifted to Psychology and Education. In 1995, I helped organize rallys for the "No" side of the referendum.. I know this didn't have anything to do with the NDP, but I still found that experience to be worthwhile.

Yes, its true that I have dropped out of the "scene" for the last few years. My life got hectic, and I could not keep up with the work entailed. I also moved to a new city, and was just learning the language.

So don't assume I didn't do any work. I'm sure you would get quite angry if I assumed things about you.

Edited by pegasus

People get into parliament all the time for all kinds of differing reasons. Hers is no better and no worse then anyones.

I think that's a real stretch.

Brosseau is essentially an NDP appointee. In theory, the people voted for her. In practice nobody really voted for her because nobody in that riding knew who she was.

She was appointed as a candidate because she knew someone at NDP central. Despite having weak in oral French she was appointed in a riding that is close to 100% Francophone. She never visited the riding and didn't campaign in any way. In fact, it didn't matter if she was in Vegas or not - she wasn't going to do anything anyway.

We already have appointed senators. We don't need appointed MPs.

As a social democrat, you of all people should understand that if one does the work, they should be compensated fairly for the work they do. While those who don't do any work, should see no rewards.
You know better. As a social democrat, it's "from each according to their ability (which in Brosseau's case appears to be none), to each according to their need" (which is unlimited in the case of many people)". This dialectic is created by the class dictatorship of the proletariat, and the withering away of the state.

Brosseau is essentially an NDP appointee. In theory, the people voted for her. In practice nobody really voted for her because nobody in that riding knew who she was.

She was appointed as a candidate because she knew someone at NDP central.

Change that to 'Leach' and 'CPC', and you are describing my own riding.

The major difference is that everyone knew the CPC appointee in this riding would be an MP (in this case, cabinet minister) whereas no one with a lick of sense would have dreamed that folks of that riding would vote NDP.

One of the main tenets of the society that we live in, and one I have been prone to teach, is the tenet that hard work pays off dividends.

That would be nice if it were true, but it isn't. It has as much to do with luck as anything else. Your type of thinking is what has created a class of "undeserving poor", who may find themselves unable to get ahead due to systemic challenges they face. Nonetheless, people like you will believe that they're just lazy and useless because if they would only pull themselves up by their bootstraps, they would be fine. It's not only not always true, but it's rarely true. It's this kind of ignorance that kills our society's will to really look after those that need our help the most.

You people are shameful for the way you're criticizing Brousseau. Wait until she sits and actually screws something up before coming down on her so hard. I'm disgusted by the complete disrespect people have for young women here.

Was she working at a bar? Yes. But, it was the bar that's on campus at the university. For all you ignorant bastards know, she could have been a Dean's List student at her university, working in the bar to help pay for her education. She's a beautiful young woman and probably made enough in tips to help her cover her entire education. She seems to be an honest, hard-working young woman. She didn't make up excuses for being in Vegas. Instead, she told everyone exactly why she was there. Yet, here a bunch of forum jockeys are saying that she's only an MP "because she knew someone" or that she has no abilities whatsoever, assuming that a young woman couldn't possibly be a good MP. You should be ashamed of yourselves for judging her and assuming the worst of her before she has even done anything as an MP.

She deserves to be an MP like anyone else that has put in the time volunteering and working with parties and end up getting the nod to be on the ballot. She was chosen by the party and she won. Until she does something as an MP worth criticizing, you look like a bunch of misogynistic grumpy old bastards that get pissed when kids lose a ball on your lawn.

Until she does something as an MP worth criticizing, you look like a bunch of misogynistic grumpy old bastards that get pissed when kids lose a ball on your lawn.

It's rather precious that the way she's being criticized is stuff that is patently untrue/ outside her reach/just as true of everyone else/ more illustrative of the speakers ignorance than of anything improper that this young woman has done or left undone.

It's both entertaining and disappointing to read. (Like watching 'Jackass'.)

She's co-manager of Oliver's actually, not just someone who works at the bar. It's a campus pub but afaik, she's not a Carleton student but a 27-year-old mother. She's managing a small business to make a family work: nothing for anyone to scoff at, least of all a conservative.

She's already visited her riding and spoke French well enough to communicate with her constituents, who received her well.

You people are shameful for the way you're criticizing Brousseau. Wait until she sits and actually screws something up before coming down on her so hard. I'm disgusted by the complete disrespect people have for young women here.

Was she working at a bar? Yes. But, it was the bar that's on campus at the university. For all you ignorant bastards know, she could have been a Dean's List student at her university, working in the bar to help pay for her education. She's a beautiful young woman and probably made enough in tips to help her cover her entire education. She seems to be an honest, hard-working young woman. She didn't make up excuses for being in Vegas. Instead, she told everyone exactly why she was there. Yet, here a bunch of forum jockeys are saying that she's only an MP "because she knew someone" or that she has no abilities whatsoever, assuming that a young woman couldn't possibly be a good MP. You should be ashamed of yourselves for judging her and assuming the worst of her before she has even done anything as an MP.

She deserves to be an MP like anyone else that has put in the time volunteering and working with parties and end up getting the nod to be on the ballot. She was chosen by the party and she won. Until she does something as an MP worth criticizing, you look like a bunch of misogynistic grumpy old bastards that get pissed when kids lose a ball on your lawn.

We already have appointed senators. We don't need appointed MPs.

But the NDP believes in proportional representation, and in that system, all MPs are appointed, so this is entirely consistent for them.

It's her own fault for being a pretty blonde! :P

She's co-manager of Oliver's actually, not just someone who works at the bar. It's a campus pub but afaik, she's not a Carleton student but a 27-year-old mother. She's managing a small business to make a family work: nothing for anyone to scoff at, least of all a conservative.

I think the great irony here is that the people who have for years painted Harper as a scary person with a hidden agenda seem to be the ones who are saying "how dare you prejudge this NDP MP."

People have been sold the line that politicians deserve high compensation, to ensure we send the best and brightest to Ottawa. I think this is why there's been a lot of outcry about this. I don't think many see the ability to sell alcohol to college students qualifies he as "best and brightest."

So far all we know about her is she didn't take this election seriously. She likely also did well on tips. I don't know many people who fly to Vegas to celebrate their 27th birthday. It's not really a milestone.

I think the great irony here is that the people who have for years painted Harper as a scary person with a hidden agenda seem to be the ones who are saying "how dare you prejudge this NDP MP."

People have been sold the line that politicians deserve high compensation, to ensure we send the best and brightest to Ottawa. I think this is why there's been a lot of outcry about this. I don't think many see the ability to sell alcohol to college students qualifies he as "best and brightest."

So far all we know about her is she didn't take this election seriously. She likely also did well on tips. I don't know many people who fly to Vegas to celebrate their 27th birthday. It's not really a milestone.

I've never painted Harper that way. My posts should attest to that.

And what qualifications would you like us to establish before someone can run for MP, in order to ensure that we only get the best and brightest, if simply being chosen by one's constituents is insufficient? A graduate degree from a highly ranked institution perhaps? A list of publications or business achievements? How many sitting MPs would qualify?

Edited by Evening Star

She's already visited her riding and spoke French well enough to communicate with her constituents, who received her well.

For the most part, her constituents are willing to give her a chance to prove herself. For Brosseau, that's a pretty good start in itself. Now the ball's in her court.

I'm impressed by the new MPs. I see no reason to disparage a young working mother who has risen to management with obvious public and people skills and financial management experience, as well as a long history of volunteer political experience.

Funny we're not hearing similar complaints about new Con MPs but perhaps that's because they could all be total idiots and it wouldn't matter a bit because they don't get to speak or think anyway, only Harper. They could all be in Vegas all the time and it wouldn't make any difference at all. Think of the money we could save by dumping them! Now that's a farce!

Edited by jacee

I'm impressed by the new MPs. I see no reason to disparage a young working mother who has risen to management with obvious public and people skills and financial management experience, as well as a long history of volunteer political experience.

I agree. People are playing with fire.

It is one thing to criticize her for not being fluent in the language of most of her constituents, or to criticize her for her absentee campaign, or for being elected in a riding hundreds of kilometers from her home, that she'd never even visited.

But it's quite another thing to attack her for her age or for her occupation. That kind of thing will only win sympathy for her. It makes people want to see her succeed because she's like them.

-k

The criticizm is a gushing fountain of ignorance, sour grapes and flagrant misogyny.

Noahbody, Harper is a scary person with a (not so) hidden agenda... but that doesn't speak at all to folks' apparent expectation that Ms. Brosseau must be either a 40-year-old man, or a Conservative party hack (or both) in order to be a legitimate MP.

In a completely normal manner- a manner common to all parties- she was nominated to be an also-ran (as in, 'was used by her party to fill a space'). Oops! The folks of that riding were so unimpressed with the other options that they elected her. How is that her fault?

Nobody gets to declare a mulligan. The cheezy slander and bizarre expectations are exactly that: cheezy and bizarre.

It is my personal opinion that Mr. Harper is cheezy and bizarre as well, but the recent inclination of folks to compare and contrast him with this surprise NDP backbencher -- well, I find that pretty ironic, too.