US burn Koran, 14 killed in retaliation

weegie

Do you mean neighbour? :) If so, that is perhaps the most badly butchered spelling of a word I have yet seen on these forums.

No. It's neighbor. You're mis-spelling it as well.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course...

However,with The Vatican,one could pay their way out of sin and redeem themselves with a cash payment...

Marty did'nt like that very much...

Yes, paying penance...just like to Chaucer's Pardoner and other similar levels of church money intake.

The "Witch Burning" Monty Python scene is very funny,but it's also based in historical fact..

One could accused of being a witch and being in league with Satan for nothing to do with the occult at all.A wart,or being left handed,or a big shnoz,or being mentally retarded,or having a covetous nabour (for your property,or otherwise) were all valid reasons for being accused of being a witch...

James Burke's The Day the Universe Changed had a great simulated witch trial, if you recall.

Edited by DogOnPorch

Yes, paying penance...just like to Chaucer's Pardoner and other similar levels of church money intake.

James Burke's The Day the Universe Changed had a great simulated witch trial, if you recall.

If you read up on the pay as you go stuff,Catholic cathedrals and churches had a literal menu list that had the amount one had to pay at confessional to "redeem yourself"...

This was one of the many "Protestations" Martin Luther had with the Vatican...

The dirty little secret was that the Catholic Church,at the time,was using this scheme to raise money to buy up property all over Europe.It had nothing to do with salvation...It was just a fund raising scheme!!!

Well with hombres like the Borgias running the show at times...not to mention the Schisms...the RC church was more like a Mafia crime family with a rental army for a good chunk of its history.

And hence another historical reason for a Protestant Reformation...

What is a "Protestant"?

He,or she,is a protesting Catholic...

And hence another historical reason for a Protestant Reformation...

What is a "Protestant"?

He,or she,is a protesting Catholic...

Yes. It was the Great Schism of 1378 resulting in two Popes that laid the groundwork for grassroot reformation movements. Who can you trust and why should I trust him? Pick the wrong Pope and it's a one way ticket to damnation. This combined with the earlier Black Death, which eliminated the traditional Feudal system and made for upward mobility of the former peasant class, gave a sense of freedom* unheard of for hundreds of years. The Lord's manor was empty...might as well move in and change one's name to something important sounding.

* or perhaps recklessness is a better word.

Edited by DogOnPorch

Yes. It was the Great Schism of 1378 resulting in two Popes that laid the groundwork for grassroot reformation movements. Who can you trust and why should I trust him? Pick the wrong Pope and it's a one way ticket to damnation. This combined with the earlier Black Death which eliminated the traditional Feudal system and made for upward mobility of the former peasant class gave a sense of freedom unheard of for hundreds of years. The Lord's manor was empty...might as well move in and change one's name to something important sounding.

Were'nt the De Medici's involved in that....

Was'nt it during that time they came to prominence in Italy??

Edited by Jack Weber

Nonetheless you post on a Canadian political forum and thus I see no reason for you to expect everyone here to always use American spellings.

I was kidding.

Were'nt the De Medici's involved in that....

Was'nt it during that time they came to prominence in Italy??

House Medici predates the Black Death by about 100 years. They made it big in wool. The Borgias are more the country bumpkin turned lord of the manor. As the name also implies, they may have had an early connection to medicine...doctors.

House Medici predates the Black Death by about 100 years. They made it big in wool. The Borgias are more the country bumpkin turned lord of the manor. As the name also implies, they may have had an early connection to medicine...doctors.

I thought the De Medici's came to prominence by taking advantage of the chaos in the deacdes after The Schism???

I knew they were involved in the wool trade and they were'nt even Italian...They were Spanish and French in origin...

I thought the De Medici's came to prominence by taking advantage of the chaos in the deacdes after The Schism???

I knew they were involved in the wool trade and they were'nt even Italian...They were Spanish and French in origin...

Oh, they were definately a major player post Plague/Schism...just not crawling up from near the bottom like the Borgias who were (hissssss) lawyers (Alfonso).

:lol:

Oh, they were definately a major player post Plague/Schism...just not crawling up from near the bottom like the Borgias who were (hissssss) lawyers (Alfonso).

:lol:

If I recall,the Houses of Borgia,De Medici,and,Sforza were blood rivals of the period and it was mostly based on the jealousy that the House of Borgia gained so much power by rigging a Papal seat for themselves...

Not that the other families were any less ambitious or any less corrupt...

If I recall,the Houses of Borgia,De Medici,and,Sforza were blood rivals of the period and it was mostly based on the jealousy that the House of Borgia gained so much power by rigging a Papal seat for themselves...

Not that the other families were any less ambitious or any less corrupt...

Yes...there used to be a great old wargame called Machiavelli (from 1977) that allowed you and several others to fight it out between the various Italian houses and the Vatican.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/286/machiavelli

Let's hope she was'nt smart enough to get fair value for them...

Long time ago...she knew their value. These days actual face to face wargaming is rare due to the rise of computer wargaming.

There's a Java engine called Vassal that pretty much mimics boardgame and card game play.

http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php

Check under 'modules' to see the selection...huge.

For some reason we're supposed to walk on eggshells around Muslims and not ever do anything that might upset them.

Not to excuse the reaction by the Muslims, but I think there's a big difference between walking on eggshells and deliberate provocation.