US burn Koran, 14 killed in retaliation

weegie

Guest American Woman

Well, looks like I was wrong about when the building was available. The revision has been corrected.

Happy? I doubt it.

What a gracious admission that you were wrong. :rolleyes:

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

Not to excuse the reaction by the Muslims, but I think there's a big difference between walking on eggshells and deliberate provocation.

When other people are being subjected to the same type of actions, when others are expected to have to deal with it, when the people doing the provocation aren't being held 'responsible' for any possible consequences, when other people aren't expected not to burn the flag or the Bible or draw cartoons of Jesus etc., when no one else's feelings are taken into account, it's walking on eggshells to expect differently when it comes to Muslims. People have to deal with "deliberate provocation" all the time. To expect Muslims alone to be exempt from it is walking on eggshells.

Furthermore, there have been people complaining about "all Muslims" being blamed for this that or the other thing, but there's been nary a peep about the title of this thread: the "US" burned the Koran according to the title. Couldn't be further from the truth. But no objection to that. We are "infidels" in the eyes of Muslims. Non-believers. They don't respect our religion, but we're expected to respect theirs. Again, walking on eggshells. Can't upset them, but the rest of the world is fair game.

Guest American Woman

That would be up to a court to decide but I guess it's certainly not as serious as serving coffee that is too hot.

When McDonald's served coffee that was too hot, it was McDonald's that was sued. The people directly responsible. The suit wasn't against the company that made the coffee grounds because someone might make it too hot. It wasn't against the company that made the coffeemaker because someone might serve coffee too hot. The suit was against the actual people who did wrong.

Guest American Woman

Christianity is 600 years older than Islam. 600 years ago, the Church was burning heretics by the dozen.

The world is 600 years older since then. The world at large was 600 years behind the times back then.

Perhaps that attitude is not unique to Muslims. Piss the West off...get your ass bombed back to yon Stone Age*.

:)

*Not a far drop in many cases.

Yeah, cite please, where a modern country has been bombed back to the Stone Age. Oh wait, what happened to the Soviet Union after they bomed Afghanistan into the Stone Age in the 80's? Or how about those crazy North Vietnemese in the late 60's and 70's?

Piss the West off and they will show you how willinginly they send their youth to die by the thousands and millions.

Never mind the mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers or friends of those youths, DogOnPorch get's wring his hands in delight.

If burning 1 koran kills 14, we could burn 100K and win the war....

On the contrary. It would likely result in all Western or Christian people and institutions in the Muslim Middle East being wiped out.

When other people are being subjected to the same type of actions, when others are expected to have to deal with it, when the people doing the provocation aren't being held 'responsible' for any possible consequences, when other people aren't expected not to burn the flag or the Bible or draw cartoons of Jesus etc., when no one else's feelings are taken into account, it's walking on eggshells to expect differently when it comes to Muslims. People have to deal with "deliberate provocation" all the time. To expect Muslims alone to be exempt from it is walking on eggshells.

Furthermore, there have been people complaining about "all Muslims" being blamed for this that or the other thing, but there's been nary a peep about the title of this thread: the "US" burned the Koran according to the title. Couldn't be further from the truth. But no objection to that. We are "infidels" in the eyes of Muslims. Non-believers. They don't respect our religion, but we're expected to respect theirs. Again, walking on eggshells. Can't upset them, but the rest of the world is fair game.

Fine form there AW. You object to the title that generalizes about a nation, yet have no problem generalizing about the adherents to a religion. I am glad you have this indelible insight, so now can you show me the evidence that "they" don't respect "our" religion?

BTW - I really don't give a crap if "they" want to duke it out among themselves, it's good for business. But what is bad for business is inciting "them" to want to kill more of our soldiers, UN workers, aid workers, peaceful religioous people, moderates, etc. It's not like we don't have a bunch of young men and women over there who will utlimately pay the price is it?

....It's not like we don't have a bunch of young men and women over there who will utlimately pay the price is it?

Why are they over there if not to protect the rights of citizens in free nations? Thousands of "infidels" already died in NYC, and they didn't burn a single Qu'ran on YouTube.

W,Q

Why are they over there if not to protect the rights of citizens in free nations? Thousands of "infidels" already died in NYC, and they didn't burn a single Qu'ran on YouTube.

Those folks in Afghanistan killed as a result of this moron's act didn't burn a single Koran either. I'm sure they would be mightily impressed with his right to do so.

Vietnam vets also believed they were defending rights. Must have been good with being called baby killers for their trouble.

Edited by Wilber

W,Q

Those folks in Afghanistan killed as a result of this moron's act didn't burn a single Koran either. I'm sure they would be mightily impressed with his right to do so.

The point being that the pastor has killed no one, while thousands died at the hands of fanatics already "incited" to commit murder regardless of burning Qu'rans. Ditto those killed in recent protest turned to murderous attacks.

Vietnam vets also believed they were defending rights. Must have been good with being called baby killers as well.

Most Vietnam Vets were doing their duty and protecting each other, not the Bible.

Right. And the Soviets were in Afghanistan protecting the "rights of citizens of free nations" just like the Americans were in Vietnam protecting the "rights of citizens of free nations" a couple of decades earlier."

Wake me up when that refrain becomes remotely believable.

In the meantime some schmuck in Florida has proven that Muslim extremists are extreme. We could have figured that out without the unnecessary death or risk, don't you think?

No, I'm saying that if you wear sexy clothes and walk down a dark street at night, you have a much better chance of being raped so don't be so surprised if it happens.

Do you have any kind of statistical evidence of that?

The Russians were in Afghanistan at the request of the pro-Soviet government of the time. US/SEATO troops were in Viet-Nam to try and stem the flow of Communist invaders using the Ho Chi Mihn Trail in neutral Laos and Cambodia to try to overthrow the pro-West government in South Viet-Nam.

Yes I am saying we shouldn't be surprised that whenever something happens that some Muslims don't like there may be rioting and killing. I'm not saying that is OK, on the contrary it's disgusting but it is a fact of the world we live in. I'm saying that people who would use that to advance their own personal agenda over the dead bodies of innocents are beneath contempt.

But what you're advocating is that we modify our behaviour because unreasonable people on the other side of the world will be angry with it. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Suppose I really enjoy drawing pictures of Mohamed as a donkey and a pig. Suppose it amuses me. Why shouldn't I be able to do it?

Christianity is 600 years older than Islam. 600 years ago, the Church was burning heretics by the dozen.

Are you saying that the general level of political, cultural and social sophistication in the Muslim world puts them 600 years behind us?

I mean, if they're that barbarous and backward, should we even be letting them run their own countries?

The Pope is probably an atheist, though of course his career depends on pretending to be a Catholic. You can't get that deep into the workings of the Church without realizing it is all built on lies.

You heretic!

Burn him! Burn him! :ph34r: