Harper's election to lose? He's trying hard...

Many people have said, "this will be Harper's election to lose"...

Harper is trying hard to reach that outcome...

Integrity watchdog left with $534,000

Opposition MPs demand explanation for former commissioner's severance package

Canada's former public sector integrity commissioner is walking away with more than half a million dollars in salary and benefits, newly released documents show.

Christiane Ouimet, who quit last fall in the middle of an audit of her office by Auditor General Sheila Fraser, is getting a package worth 25 months salary, plus benefits and whatever remaining holiday time she had.

Ouimet's Oct. 14, 2010, departure agreement shows she got a separation allowance of $354,000, equal to 18 months salary, $53,100 in foregone benefits, pension and other claims, and another 28 weeks of salary, worth $127,000, plus her remaining vacation leave.

That works out to about $534,100.

The disclosure put Ouimet under fire once again, a week before she's due to appear at a House of Commons committee to explain why she investigated only a handful of the 228 complaints she received over her three years in office.

Oda admits she had CIDA document altered

- International Co-operation Minister Bev Oda told Parliament Monday that she was the person who directed that a recommendation from her staff be altered to deny funding to a church-backed aid group.

The minister was backtracking on previous statements in which she said Kairos had lost its funding because the group's work no longer fit with the Canadian International Development Agency's objectives — suggesting she was acting on her department's recommendation. -

KAIROS

'It seems extraordinarily unlikely' PM Harper didn't know in-out scheme was happening, say opposition MPs

- Harper one of 'country’s leading authorities on the Elections Act, given his entanglements with it,' says NDP MP Pat Martin. 'There’s no doubt in my mind that he was aware of and approved of the scheme that resulted in the charges.' -

Tories rebuff calls for Kenney to resign

- CTV.ca News Staff

Date: Fri. Mar. 4 2011 3:21 PM ET

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney is in the hot seat today, as opposition MPs demand his resignation the day after he was accused of using his official MP letterhead to solicit funds for a pre-election ad campaign.

Kenney is accused of breaking parliamentary rules, after his staffers hand-delivered the fundraising letter to New Democrat MP Linda Duncan. It is believed the letter was intended for Tory MP John Duncan.

During question period Friday, Bloc MP Pierre Paquette rose in the House of Commons, demanding to know if Kenney will resign his post.

In response, Conservative House Leader John Baird called the matter both "serious" and "unacceptable," but indicated his party has already done what it's going to do. -

The "Harper Government" Wow....

- OTTAWA—It’s official: Stephen Harper rules.

And lest anyone forgets, a directive went out to public servants late last year that “Government of Canada” in federal communications should be replaced by “Harper Government.” -

All in all a GOOD START towards losing an election, and we haven't even touched on being WRONG and overspending on every BUDGET since Harper first formed Government...

Why should anyone TRUST anything this Government says NOW or in the upcoming BUDGET?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GWiz, all of your examples are relevant only to a small anglophone, Toronto-centric, anti-Harper group. In this broad place we call Canada, your tweeted scandals don't matter.

Most Canadians don't know who Bev Oda is, and they rightly don't care. They don't know about In-Out payments (and if they bothered to figure it out, they woudln't care.) Harper Government? Politicians say things like that.

In simple terms, if you are among the small percentage of Canadians who loathe Harper, you are going to go ballistic over these 15 second sound bites. Ordinary voters will look at you in wonder.

GWiz, I sometimes think that some people in Toronto are superficial. I'm more convinced that the people who hate Harper have no judgment, and confuse the unimportant with the important. Your list is evidence.

GWiz, I sometimes think that some people in Toronto are superficial. I'm more convinced that the people who hate Harper have no judgment, and confuse the unimportant with the important. Your list is evidence.

I agree. Oda, Kenney, Ouimet, rinse, wash, repeat. Rinse, wash, repeat.

GWiz, all of your examples are relevant only to a small anglophone, Toronto-centric, anti-Harper group. In this broad place we call Canada, your tweeted scandals don't matter.

Most Canadians don't know who Bev Oda is, and they rightly don't care. They don't know about In-Out payments (and if they bothered to figure it out, they woudln't care.) Harper Government? Politicians say things like that.

In simple terms, if you are among the small percentage of Canadians who loathe Harper, you are going to go ballistic over these 15 second sound bites. Ordinary voters will look at you in wonder.

You don't get out that much do you?

You don't get out that much do you?

In fact, I do - at least now.

And from what I can see (at least in English Canada), this Bev Oda, In/Out scandal approach won't work. In fact, it's counterproductive. But forget my opinion.

According to polls, about 30% of Canadian voters solidly, whatever happens, support Harper. This number is now edging up to 35%. Why? The fanaticism of the anti-Harperites is turning indifferent Canadians toward Harper.

Edited by August1991

In fact, I do - at least now.

And from what I can see (at least in English Canada), this Bev Oda, In/Out scandal approach won't work. In fact, it's counterproductive. But forget my opinion.

According to polls, about 30% of Canadian voters solidly, whatever happens, support Harper. This number is now edging up to 35%. Why? The fanaticism of the anti-Harperites is turning indifferent Canadians toward Harper.

That, and the alternatives are putzes...

One just need to count the number of new anti-Harper posts by desperate Pinkos to see all is Hunky Dory :)

Except Pinko himself is one of the better posters.

Coffee shops across Canada, people are talking about the Bev Oda problem, the Government of Canada vs the government of Harper, the deficit, the high unemployment, the F35,the lies, the cheating, the arrogance on and on. Perhaps these pollsters should visit coffee shops and then take a poll and they will probably find difference views. Harper would probably be down were the Bloc are!

Coffee shops across Canada, people are talking about the Bev Oda problem, the Government of Canada vs the government of Harper, the deficit, the high unemployment, the F35,the lies, the cheating, the arrogance on and on. Perhaps these pollsters should visit coffee shops and then take a poll and they will probably find difference views. Harper would probably be down were the Bloc are!

Really Topaz? How many of these coffee shops have you checked out? Do you have a link to some survey?

It always amazes me how many people prefer their personal preferences to reality. It doesn't matter if you like Harper or not. The polls overwhelmingly show that he's in the lead by a comfortable margin.

It doesn't matter if you think a Harper majority is a fate worse than death. Polls also show that the majority of Canadians think Igatieff is a lameass 'Gomer'. Dream all you like but the Liberals have some ferocious challenges this election.

Politics is the biggest game there is and you don't win a game by keeping your head in fantasy land. You have to clearly see your strengths and your weaknesses and deal with them! Yes, miracles can happen but they don't happen from wishing! They happen as a result of clear thinking and hard work.

Spouting "rah rah" from your fantasies just makes one sound like an idiot. If many Liberals on this board are an example of how unfocused the party has become then they are doomed!

Who would have thought it? To so quickly fall from the Von Bismark 'realpolitik' of Jean Chretien to the 'lala land' goofiness of Dion and now Ignatieff, in a mere decade. Perhaps it was inevitable. People are people in every party and people as a group seem to always have to learn things the hard way. The Liberals will eventually get their act together, after doing it in the longest and most inefficient way possible. After a couple of terms in majority power the Tories will start to think that they own their jobs and will be knocked down, totally surprised for having been too arrogant and blind to see it coming.

Just human nature, I guess. Still, a little bit of common sense and perspective would go a long way towards avoiding some of the pain...

Really Topaz? How many of these coffee shops have you checked out? Do you have a link to some survey?

It always amazes me how many people prefer their personal preferences to reality. It doesn't matter if you like Harper or not. The polls overwhelmingly show that he's in the lead by a comfortable margin.

It doesn't matter if you think a Harper majority is a fate worse than death. Polls also show that the majority of Canadians think Igatieff is a lameass 'Gomer'. Dream all you like but the Liberals have some ferocious challenges this election.

Politics is the biggest game there is and you don't win a game by keeping your head in fantasy land. You have to clearly see your strengths and your weaknesses and deal with them! Yes, miracles can happen but they don't happen from wishing! They happen as a result of clear thinking and hard work.

Spouting "rah rah" from your fantasies just makes one sound like an idiot. If many Liberals on this board are an example of how unfocused the party has become then they are doomed!

Who would have thought it? To so quickly fall from the Von Bismark 'realpolitik' of Jean Chretien to the 'lala land' goofiness of Dion and now Ignatieff, in a mere decade. Perhaps it was inevitable. People are people in every party and people as a group seem to always have to learn things the hard way. The Liberals will eventually get their act together, after doing it in the longest and most inefficient way possible. After a couple of terms in majority power the Tories will start to think that they own their jobs and will be knocked down, totally surprised for having been too arrogant and blind to see it coming.

Just human nature, I guess. Still, a little bit of common sense and perspective would go a long way towards avoiding some of the pain...

The longer we wait, the worse it will get for PM Harper. At this point they already are begging to be taken done a couple notches. The behavior of the party members since forming their first minority government has gone from bad to worse. The public is starting to count the FUBAR moments and they are adding up.

The longer we wait, the worse it will get for PM Harper.

So why is Ignatieff getting lower in opinion polls? Ontario Liberal McGuinty hit record low of 16%.

http://pragmatictory.blogspot.com/2011/02/who-would-make-best-prime-minister-iggy.html

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Harper+best+choice+prime+minister+poll/3765975/story.html

crack much?

http://canadiansense.blogspot.com/2010/10/harperland-exposed-pm-as-force-of.html

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”- Calvin Coolidge

I have not read the book and can not provide an analysis on the book but I can understand why Liberals have spent most of the time polling below thirty per cent in the last four years.

Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal: my strength lies solely in my tenacity.-- Louis Pasteur

(I think same goes for Thomas Edison)

Most Canadians don't know who Bev Oda is, and they rightly don't care.

Sooo, it is fine by you if Canadians don't know who sits in the Federal Cabinet and don't care when they LIE? But then, only public apathy and the dismal performence of the leadership of the Liberal party could lead to a Conservative majority comes the next federal election.

Most Canadians don't know who Bev Oda is, and they rightly don't care. They don't know about In-Out payments (and if they bothered to figure it out, they woudln't care.)

Cite your source please.

So, if you are saying "small percentage" then you must have access to some numbers. Could you cite your source please?

Once you cite your sources as requested above, then perhaps we can see what you mean by the word "evidence."

Thanks.

People are more politically educated nowaday and they do care if it's their own money and property.

And that is why Liberals are losing.

Until the VOTE is counted and complete NO ONE has won or lost anything...

As I said, Harper is trying hard to LOSE any upcoming election, who knows, maybe he'll succeed... :D

"Conceit is a weird disease. It makes everyone sick except the one who's got it."

Examples? Feel free to add the ones I've missed...

On the contary Harper is quite unique in "officially" altering "Government of Canada" documentation of any sort to coming from "Harper's Government"...

We're much alike in our opinion of Canadians... Too many Canadians don't care and don't VOTE... Which, as I've oft said, leads to the Government Canadians deserve and will be stuck paying for...

Then again when things "pile up" to a certain point and a writ is dropped historically things have CHANGED when ordinary Canadians start paying attention...

I guess we will BOTH find out, eh...

I don't "loathe Harper", not yet at least, I reserve that feeling for Harper's mentor, the TRAITOR, lyin' Brian MORONey... Though I must admit that from what I've seen of Harper he's certainly of that same "character"...

In politics there are no "unimportant" things, only varying degrees of "importance"...

Harper has established quite the PATTERN when it comes to that...

Sooo, it is fine by you if Canadians don't know who sits in the Federal Cabinet and don't care when they LIE? But then, only public apathy and the dismal performence of the leadership of the Liberal party could lead to a Conservative majority comes the next federal election.

This is TRUE, this election, whenever it comes, will be a BIG TEST for the Liberals no matter the outcome...

Is that some Canadian language insult or just your drunken or high ravings?

Its actually none of the above. It was me saying that since you are American your opinion doesn't count in a Canadian Politics forum - and you are a little alien in this milleau? What is an American Lawyer doing in a Canadian Politics forum anyway? Not welcome on the American ones or something, wouldn't it be more constructive to talk with your own kind rather than meddling in Canadians lives?

Or is that just another sign of the USA butting their words where they don't belong.

I've personally been deeply offended by Americans and I find it disturbing to see one post in here thinking they have a slightest clue about Canada when they wern't born here, and don't live here.

If it is seen as hostile that is because Americans have been hostile toward me. I havn't recieved an apology so for the most part your ilk come off as persistently rude, stupid and annoying.

Of course I do interact with Americans in Canada. You havn't earned a say worth being valued and you are blabbing on like you know what you talk about, see the above.

There are Americans I get along with, so far you don't appear to be one, you havn't earned that respect so you start at the subhuman level where Americans I don't know belong.

Your kind is not human enough to deserve it, start changing your own country when you have decent people from that why not come back here, rather than bringing your pollution here and leaving the cesspool of american morality in your home country.

Edited by William Ashley