Harper's election to lose? He's trying hard...

How would an election put the economy at risk again?

Indeed...such an odd notion...that a democratic election represents "risk". Is it the money?

I think its probably a combination of uncertainty, the possibility of parties making unwise (but politically popular) promises, and the fact that during the process of the election itself the focus of the government is on the election, not on handling any significant issues that come up.

Not that I necessarily think that those are valid reasons to avoid elections. I think the Canadian economy can handle an election just fine.

By the way, the suggestion that we can't hold an election because it could cause problems is not unprecedented. In fact, at one point the Liberals (under Pearson) made the same argument when they lost a confidence vote to the opposition (lead by Stanfield).

From: http://www.cpsa-acsp.ca/papers-2009/Donovan.pdf (page 14)

In February 1968, Prime Minister Pearson’s government was defeated on a money bill...Pearson subsequently returned to

Ottawa and with the help of the Governor of the Bank of Canada, convinced opposition leader Robert Stanfield that the fall of the government would damage the Canadian economy.

The moral of the story: it never pays to be a "nice guy" in politics.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper think the opposition parties are playing a political games and that they don't care about the economy as he does. Really. Hasn't it sunk into his brain that his government is being charge with contempt of Parliament, including Bev Oda? What arrogance this PM has, that in his view its not a good time for an election but it was a good time for the two elections he called and the two times he prorogue Parliament to stop them. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/harper-links-japanese-quake-opposition-threat-of-snap-election/article1943122/

Hmmmm, I wonder if that drop of 7 percentage points, you know the majority to minority one, has any bearing on Harper's election plans that he's already spending millions of our tax dollars on...

Are YOU listening Mr. Layton? Maybe you need another meeting with Mr. Harper? He may be a little "friendlier" this TIME around since his job may be on the line...

Hmmmm, I wonder if that drop of 7 percentage points, you know the majority to minority one, has any bearing on Harper's election plans that he's already spending millions of our tax dollars on...

Are YOU listening Mr. Layton? Maybe you need another meeting with Mr. Harper? He may be a little "friendlier" this TIME around since his job may be on the line...

I think the Tories have known the score for weeks. There was clearly some incredulity on the part of the Tories that the polling numbers did in fact reflect the truth.

And let us all try to remember here that Jack Layton is every bit as capable of playing politics as Stephen Harper. Just because Layton says "I haven't received cooing sounds from Stephen Harper's bedchamber" doesn't mean, in fact, that it is true, or at least the complete truth. Layton is likely applying his own pressure to the Tories. Layton knows he will likely never again be in such a position again to project his party's influence over the budget process, and by dropping statements like this, he sends the message clearly to Harper. For all we know the NDP are in negotiations with the Government as we speak.

One thing I'm certain of about Layton is that he is quite capable of overplaying his hands, of making and sticking to demands far beyond what the Tories will agree to. I can well imagine Harper trying to placate Layton but ultimately saying "F--- you, bring the Government down and we'll see where you sit in a month's time." Remember, the slope is much more slippery for the NDP, and in particular for Layton, then it is for Harper. If the NDP loses seats after colluding with the Opposition to bring down the Government, Layton is toast.

Edited by ToadBrother

I think the Tories have known the score for weeks. There was clearly some incredulity on the part of the Tories that the polling numbers did in fact reflect the truth.

And let us all try to remember here that Jack Layton is every bit as capable of playing politics as Stephen Harper. Just because Layton says "I haven't received cooing sounds from Stephen Harper's bedchamber" doesn't mean, in fact, that it is true, or at least the complete truth. Layton is likely applying his own pressure to the Tories. Layton knows he will likely never again be in such a position again to project his party's influence over the budget process, and by dropping statements like this, he sends the message clearly to Harper. For all we know the NDP are in negotiations with the Government as we speak.

One thing I'm certain of about Layton is that he is quite capable of overplaying his hands, of making and sticking to demands far beyond what the Tories will agree to. I can well imagine Harper trying to placate Layton but ultimately saying "F--- you, bring the Government down and we'll see where you sit in a month's time." Remember, the slope is much more slippery for the NDP, and in particular for Layton, then it is for Harper. If the NDP loses seats after colluding with the Opposition to bring down the Government, Layton is toast.

I see what you see... :)

Already dealt with in my previous posts:

You think the Governor of The Bank of Canada is some sort of political pundit with an agenda?

:rolleyes:

Give me a break... Just how stupid are you?

You think the Governor of The Bank of Canada is some sort of political pundit with an agenda?

Ummm... Gordon Thiessen was actually appointed to the post by Chretien.

And just because he was at the Bank of Canada, he is not f*kcinig posting here, you are. I cannot question him, ask for clarifications, or examine any details because he provided none. Really, if you can't provide your own justification for your opinions you are a pretty worthless human.

Once again, point out exactly what facts that I presented which are incorrect.

- Did Mulroney leave office with a budget surplus?

- Did global interest rates get lower around the time Chretien took power?

- Did the global economy expand rapidly when Chretien took power?

Ummm... Gordon Thiessen was actually appointed to the post by Chretien.

And just because he was at the Bank of Canada, he is not f*kcinig posting here, you are. I cannot question him, ask for clarifications, or examine any details because he provided none. Really, if you can't provide your own justification for your opinions you are a pretty worthless human.

Once again, point out exactly what facts that I presented which are incorrect.

- Did Mulroney leave office with a budget surplus?

- Did global interest rates get lower around the time Chretien took power?

- Did the global economy expand rapidly when Chretien took power?

:lol:

I gotta admit you are funny, in a very stupid sort of way...

YOU want the Governor of The Bank of Canada to "report" to you... Good one.. :lol: Too bad you don't even know what the Governor of The Bank of Canada does, so you'll never understand how stupid and funny that is...

The things I put in BOLD are incorrect... AND since they are ALL incorrect they certainly aren't "facts"...

But hey, look what I found, another reference to the Canadian economy of the early '90s >

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/bustech/story.html?id=1b8d2c49-663f-4c61-a193-c99f61e26741

:lol:

I gotta admit you are funny, in a very stupid sort of way...

YOU want the Governor of The Bank of Canada to "report" to you...

No, I want you to actually provide actual data and/or logic that can be properly analyzed. Simply quoting the opinions of another when they have not given proper details is worthless.

Got it?

So, once again, where is your f*king data?

The things I put in BOLD are incorrect...

Nope, they aren't. And I've already provided references to prove my point. With real actual facts in them. Not opinions, but facts. So, try again.

But hey, look what I found, another reference to the Canadian economy of the early '90s >

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/bustech/story.html?id=1b8d2c49-663f-4c61-a193-c99f61e26741

Irrelevant. The global recession was around 1990-91. By the time Chretien came to power the economy was already growing again.

http://www.nber.org/cycles.html

So Mulroney had to deal with the problems associated by that particular recession... Chretien did not.

No, I want you to actually provide actual data and/or logic that can be properly analyzed. Simply quoting the opinions of another when they have not given proper details is worthless.

Got it?

So, once again, where is your f*king data?

Nope, they aren't. And I've already provided references to prove my point. With real actual facts in them. Not opinions, but facts. So, try again.

Irrelevant. The global recession was around 1990-91. By the time Chretien came to power the economy was already growing again.

http://www.nber.org/cycles.html

So Mulroney had to deal with the problems associated by that particular recession... Chretien did not.

Well, that settles it, you can't read...

No point in helping you anymore, you need professional help, I hope you get it...

See ya, or not...

It's relevant because Martin had a lot of pressure by groups urging him to spend that surplus on social programs and commercial economic stimulation. Being a tightwad, he did not. In Ireland they did just that. They spent money they did not have. They were booming for a while, fastest growing economy in Europe.

I guess you can say the "global recession stopped" them... as if they had sustainable policies, lol, they contributed to this "global economic slowdown" you attribute as their unpredictable demise.

Good post...

"Pressure, pressure, everywhere and nary a moment to think."

All things considered, Martin was the key to turning Canada's economy around, and Chretien was key in keeping the leeches off Martin's back while he was doing it...

Hasn't it sunk into his brain that his government is being charge with contempt of Parliament, including Bev Oda?

Unlike Liberals, where some went to jail after Sponsorgate.

Chretien saved himself only by lying that he knew "nothing". He was only incompetent - which is still not criminal offence. Just like his Finance Minister who also knew "nothing". The money moved under their noses all by themself. They had no control.

Edited by Saipan

Unlike Liberals, where some went to jail after Sponsorgate.

Chretien saved himself only by lying that he knew "nothing". He was only incompetent - which is still not criminal offence. Just like his Finance Minister who also knew "nothing". The money moved under their noses all by themself. They had no control.

Hey, don't carp, quess or make up stories about it, look at the FACTS to see how closely the Harper Regime is following the "blueprint" of the "Sponsorship Scandal"...

INDEPTH: SPONSORSHIP SCANDAL

Timeline

CBC News Online | Dec. 17, 2008

That's the best way for everyone to see what most Liberals already see of this Harper Regime...

Two WRONGS do NOT make a RIGHT no matter how much the Harper Regime wants everyone to think so...

I like how the term regime has somehow become the normal description of the Conservatives by their opponents, as if to equate the Conservatives with the likes of dictators in the middle east.

Hey, don't blame "us" for that, when Harper made himself "The Government of Canada" what else was there left to call it but the Harper Regime?

Yes, like Chretien's Administration.

psst, just so you don't look stupid, Chretien isn't around anymore, you know, history, where-as Harper very much is "right now"... ;)