Alberta's Premier Ed Stelmach resigns

The Premier of Alberta says he won't run in the next election and I bet the PC's are shocked as some of the country is. The next question is who will run for the leadership of the PC's? Is there still time for Harper to leave Ottawa and go for the leadership and onto Premiership? http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110125/premier-resignation-110125/

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liberal victory is nigh !

Do you remember Ponderosa Steakhouse? About 30 years ago they tried to re-invent themselves and introduce a prime rib. In blind tests the subject loved the cut, the presentation etc...and indictaed they thought it was worth X. Then they came back a week later and tried the same cut, same presentation and were told it was offered by Ponderosa. When asked what the value was, they said it was X -50%.

They understood they had a branding problem that could not be fixed with an introduction of a new marquee menu item. Years of indiffermnt service and subpar food left consumers feeling that Ponderosa was a rip off They closed their doors in 1984.

The Liberals are in the same boat. the consumer still feels they are a rip off and that the latest marquee item in not worth the expense...

Enter... The Ziberals...

I don't know - you're the ad man - you tell me... every once in awhile something changes and they're back on top...

Once in a while? For something to reappear on the radar, it must fall off the radar. More often than not, once off the radar, always off the radar. When was the last timne you had a Kik Cola?

The current leadership..rae, ignatieff et al represent the old brand. They won't have a chance again till they recruit an urban toronto born franco ontarian from the oil patch to lead them.....

...or perhaps in 10 years, no one will remember adscam...

Or no, I won't defer to Albertans

Four points: 1. Wild Rose vs. Conservative, 2. Woman vs. Man, 3. Stelmach vs. New Guy. 4. Alberta and Canada.

3. I think Alberta is due for a change. And I think Stelmach saw the writing on the wall.

2. If Danielle Smith wins an election, she will be the first woman to win an election in Canada, as you westerners say, fair and square. No woman has been elected PM in Canada. Trust Alberta to choose simply the best person for the job.

1. Every 30 years or so, Albertans switch. That ain't democracy.

4. The rest of Canada will be curious of your new PM. Does she speak French, or Torontonian? (Quebecers, given Pauline Marois, will be curious.)

Edited by August1991

yes interesting events...conservatives MLAs are in revolt, the wild rose(wacko) party, Liberals, NDP and now a new party in the legislature as a calgary liberal MLA has switched to the new Alberta Party...

conservatives will lose rural support to the wild rose...what will happen to the more moderate urban conservatives, stay conservative, switch to Liberal or join the new center/left Alberta Party, then what becomes of the NDP?... interesting times coming up, election fun....the Alberta Party has a strong link to Calgary's new left of center mayor and his campaign team...

As an OG Albertan who has been elsewhere for four years now, I think i speak for Albertans far and wide when I say: Ed Stelmach was still Premier?

a conservative I don't dislike, I don't agree with his politics but personality wise he was a huge improvement over that ****hole Klein...

a conservative I don't dislike, I don't agree with his politics but personality wise he was a huge improvement over that ****hole Klein...

Call him what you want, for better or worse Klein made things happen. Eddie hasn't accomplished much of anything except smiling.

As an OG Albertan who has been elsewhere for four years now, I think i speak for Albertans far and wide when I say: Ed Stelmach was still Premier?
But that was never the question, and even Stelmach apparently understood it.

The question is: Can Morton defeat Wild Rose?

I'm not Albertan and other than a summer job in Edmonton years ago, and a trip or two since then, I don't know the place other than what I read in the papers.

HMMMMM who was that?

LMAO...

I did remembered the discussion. (Bad time for a brainfart) Its coming back to me, it was one of those rare occassions where u thanked me for a thoughtful post on ALberta.

AH HA!!

it was U ... LOL

Well Done...

ALTA4EVER

and thanks for reminding me and a great prediction.

There was merit to your argument, I just never thought it would play out in this manner.

Congrats.

But that was never the question, and even Stelmach apparently understood it.

The question is: Can Morton defeat Wild Rose?

I'm not Albertan and other than a summer job in Edmonton years ago, and a trip or two since then, I don't know the place other than what I read in the papers.

The question is can Morton win the PC leadership a good many of us who supported him last time are long gone. He is damaged goods bill 36 all but alienated his rural base. Removing our common law property rights was a big mistake.

LMAO...

I did remembered the discussion. (Bad time for a brainfart) Its coming back to me, it was one of those rare occassions where u thanked me for a thoughtful post on ALberta.

AH HA!!

it was U ... LOL

Well Done...

ALTA4EVER

and thanks for reminding me and a great prediction.

There was merit to your argument, I just never thought it would play out in this manner.

Congrats.

I went looking for it but sadly could not find the post lol I have made far to many lol!

Sure do. Most are now RedLobsters here.

But... u can go to Belleville and eat at a Ponderosa. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponderosa/Bonanza_Steakhouse

Nope. It closed a few years back. Now it's an Appleby's.

But I was at the Ponderosa opening night in Belleville in, like, 1974 or something.

yes interesting events...conservatives MLAs are in revolt, the wild rose(wacko) party, Liberals, NDP and now a new party in the legislature as a calgary liberal MLA has switched to the new Alberta Party...

conservatives will lose rural support to the wild rose...what will happen to the more moderate urban conservatives, stay conservative, switch to Liberal or join the new center/left Alberta Party, then what becomes of the NDP?... interesting times coming up, election fun....the Alberta Party has a strong link to Calgary's new left of center mayor and his campaign team...

Wow! You got me all nostalgic there for a second, wyly! Your dissing of the "wild rose(wacko) party" took me back to the days when Reform was getting started. You sound exactly like many of their critics at the time, with ad hominem attacks.

They may or may not prove to be wackos. I've often thought the NDP to be wackos over the years. That's really just personal opinion. All that counts is how well they may do at the ballot box.

Something tells me they may inherit the mantle of the old Reform Party, even if not really deserved. There are a lot of people feeling like they lost the only choice they ever really approved. If the Wild Rose is perceived as being even remotely similar they can pick up a HUGE number of protest voters!

Despite the opinion of many, there are a lot of Canadians who would want to vote for a party because they LIKED the choice and not because it "smelled the least"! People at heart DO want to vote because they view it as a positive act, instead of always feeling like they've discharged a distasteful duty.

Can Ted Morton defeat Wild Rose?

That isn't the question at all.

The lack of understanding of the actual state of politcs here is baffling. The province is driving the Canadian economy and questions as utterly as ignorant as this are asked repeatedly......

Ted Morton won't even win the nomination.....again.

Review: he lost last time because he was seen as what he is: an ignorant, far right, dinsoaur with no appeal to the vast majority of Albertans who are in fact, proven fact, centrist in nature. The p[roof? Look tpo the last leadership campaign, when Farmer Ed scooted up the middle and beat the corporate champ Jim Dinning and the ne0-Nazi Morton. That happened because of the unusual voting system the Tories employ, a preferential system whereby anybody from any party can pay $5 and essentially elect the next premier. That is how and why Stelmach won: people recognized Morton was going to get a few first choice ballots and enough second choice ballots to win. Many nornally univolved voters of every stripe knew Morton would be a complete disaster and acted to deny him the premiers chair.

One big, big problem though: Farmer Ned is not from Calgary, which doomed him. All Alberta Premiers must be from Calgary, no exceptions.

Fast forward to now. Morton is still the same woman and gay hating bigot he has always been, except now the church people and the hard right have become the Wild Rose Party, which he is not a member ofm at least not formally. And if he were to join them, their influence is much too small because redneck jokes aside, Alberta is the same as the rest of Canada: happiest with a centrist guy.

So Mporton won't win the leadership this time either.

Danielle Smith will win maybe 5 seats at best. The liberals are in utter disarray and will lose a few seats to the Alberta Party. The NDP will screw the pooch, they badly need to drop Brian Mason and get the much smarter and better loooking Rachel Notley front and center.

So who will win the leadership and become the next Premier with a big fat Tory majority again?

I'm guessing Gary Mar is the frontrunner, a likeable and very competent guy who was a Cabinet Minister for many years and is currently a lobbyist/envoy for AB in Washington DC. Her is a centrist and he is from Calgary, two prerequisites. There are others, but I'll bet on Mar for now.