Has talk radio gone to far?

Topaz

Blaming talk radio or Fox News for this idiot's shooting spree is like a drunk driver who kills a family blaming the alcohol.

Notice how fools like waldo and wyly are always looking to blame something they don't like. Typical losers. Imagine a world like wyldo's utopia where no one is responsible for his/her actions.............because they can blame it on some other entity.

Wyly, have you found out where Mirimar is? :lol: You're not so educated, are you. You're great at making stuff up...I'll give you that. Waldo, get a job buddy. :P

Blame Fox news for this, certainly not Fox alone but of course you being a superior being are never influenced by anything you see in the media. Which begs the question. If so, how did you get here?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blame Fox news for this, certainly not Fox alone but of course you being a superior being are never influenced by anything you see in the media. Which begs the question. If so, how did you get here?

Why blame Fox? From the youtube video he's posted and all the other info gleaned the ones to blame are the fringe elements...the ones who think that a currency not based of gold and silver are the hall marks of tyranny...that the "government are trying to control us by controlling grammar"

Those are pretty much his words...if you can find Fox or CNN or any mainsteam media outlet saying stuff like that..then I will change my thoughts...but to me it ios clear. He was a fruitbat and clearly way outside any mainstream political movement including teabaggers.

Why blame Fox? From the youtube video he's posted and all the other info gleaned the ones to blame are the fringe elements...the ones who think that a currency not based of gold and silver are the hall marks of tyranny...that the "government are trying to control us by controlling grammar"

Yeah baby! Then we will get our full moonbat on with Griffin's The Creature from Jekyll Island. But even he never encouraged shooting politicians. Just voting for Ron Paul is good enough.

Fiat currency will makes us all slaves! ;)

Where is Polynewbie when we need him?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Those are pretty much his words...if you can find Fox or CNN or any mainsteam media outlet saying stuff like that..then I will change my thoughts...but to me it ios clear. He was a fruitbat and clearly way outside any mainstream political movement including teabaggers.

I'm not blaming anyone specifically but all our thoughts and actions are influenced by media, these forums wouldn't exist if they weren't. To say they have no influence on crazies as well is just idiotic. Because a lot of mainstream media has lost its objectivity, you can now find a major network that will feed you 24/7 with only what you want to hear. It's one thing to have opinions but people in responsible positions should take a little more care to express them like grownups, not characters from an action movie.

So? If 24/7 cable news networks have no impact, how do they stay in business and how do loud mouth Rambo wannabes get elected?

By selling ad time with ratings, just like the broadcast networks. Are we to believe that NBC's Texaco Huntley-Brinkly Report drove Sirhan to kill Robert Kennedy? There is simply no correlation...then...or now.

By selling ad time with ratings, just like the broadcast networks. Are we to believe that NBC's Texaco Huntley-Brinkly Report drove Sirhan to kill Robert Kennedy? There is simply no correlation...then...or now.

Selling add time and ratings for an audience that doesn't exist or isn't interested in the content. Novel.

Of course there is a correlation, but for the media Sirhan wouldn't even have known who the hell Kennedy was. That is not to say he was driven to it by the media but he was certainly influenced by what he saw in the media. We all are. If responsible media can influence a person like Sirhan, the less principled media have the potential to be far more destructive, particularly when they claim to be objective.

The issue of what's wrong with talk radio starts with the relaxation of laws that concentration of ownership in local markets. The end result is the situation in the U.S. where five media conglomerates own most of the a.m. talkradio stations across America....this is what made national syndication possible....not the imagined talents of Rush Limbaugh!

Anyway, this report from Center for American Progress illustrates that in a country where 30% self-identify as conservatives, more than 90% of the talk on U.S. radio is conservative propaganda:

As this report will document in detail, conservative talk radio undeniably dominates the format:

* Our analysis in the spring of 2007 of the 257 news/talk stations owned by the top five commercial station owners reveals that 91 percent of the total weekday talk radio programming is conservative, and 9 percent is progressive.

* Each weekday, 2,570 hours and 15 minutes of conservative talk are broadcast on these stations compared to 254 hours of progressive talk— 10 times as much conservative talk as progressive talk.

* A separate analysis of all of the news/talk stations in the top 10 radio markets reveals that 76 percent of the programming in these markets is conservative and 24 percent is progressive, although programming is more balanced in markets such as New York and Chicago.

And, it's not big money returns that drive conservative talk radio. Limbaugh is a money-loser in many media markets, but his value is for propaganda purposes to his bosses. They consider money lost in conservative radio to be no different than all the money they pay out to conservative think tanks or for product advertising. Rupert Murdoch lost almost half a billion dollars on Foxnews before they started turning a profit. No media mogul would be sinking that kind of money into a liberal news network.

Because a lot of mainstream media has lost its objectivity, you can now find a major network that will feed you 24/7 with only what you want to hear.

Why would anyone watch,listen or read anything that they don't want to hear...

The statement that mainstream media has lost its objectivity is groundless.

The issue of what's wrong with talk radio starts with the relaxation of laws that concentration of ownership in local markets. The end result is the situation in the U.S. where five media conglomerates own most of the a.m. talkradio stations across America....this is what made national syndication possible....not the imagined talents of Rush Limbaugh!

It is far worse than that. There is one station with one owner that has a virtual monopoly on the ravings of nutters, conspiracy freaks and assorted windbags.

There is no evidence that the shooter listened to talk radio....indeed, talk radio my have been too rational for him....there is lots of evidence he was an avid Youtube viewer. And Youtube has a virtual monopoly on that crap.

Never mind all that stuff, it's a good excuse to try and shut down opposing opinions. What I don't understand is why the liberals can't get a successful station of their own.

wededcar12co11120983cl8.jpg

I would guess that it's because liberals aren't as fueled by emotion (i.e. anger) as the right-wing hotheads who have nothing to do during the day but listen to Rush getting them riled up.

Also, they're probably at work.

Why would anyone watch,listen or read anything that they don't want to hear...

Great way to enhance profits, forget objectivity and just tell people what they want to hear.

The statement that mainstream media has lost its objectivity is groundless.

You can't be serious, FOX and MSNBC objective? :lol:

Selling add time and ratings for an audience that doesn't exist or isn't interested in the content. Novel.

But the audience does exist....as has the growth and preference for a 24/7 news cycle format.

Of course there is a correlation, but for the media Sirhan wouldn't even have known who the hell Kennedy was....

He also breathed air, so I guess that correlates as well. All air breathers have the potential for assassination. Marvelous.

Great way to enhance profits, forget objectivity and just tell people what they want to hear.

Correct. The opposite is to invite business suicide.

You can't be serious, FOX and MSNBC objective? :lol:

I am not a consumer of either so I cannot comment one way or another but I do not believe that two outlets represent the totality of mainstream media....not when there is also available for consumers; NBC, CBS , PBS, CTV, SHAW, CBC, BBC, Hearst, WSJ, NYT, GAnnett, Rogers, BellGlobeMedia, The Times, etc etc etc etc etc etc....

...I am not a consumer of either so I cannot comment one way or another but I do not believe that two outlets represent the totality of mainstream media....not when there is also available for consumers; NBC, CBS , PBS, CTV, SHAW, CBC, BBC, Hearst, WSJ, NYT, GAnnett, Rogers, BellGlobeMedia, The Times, etc etc etc etc etc etc....

Indeed....the very concept of "MSM" is now obsolete given the multitude of sources and distribution methods no longer subject to network controls.

Indeed....the very concept of "MSM" is now obsolete given the multitude of sources and distribution methods no longer subject to network controls.

I certainly believe there are non mainstream media....but they are non mainstream because they are either too small or too out in left field...

...and within the realm of mainstream media lies quite a bit of diversity in covberage and opinion.

I certainly believe there are non mainstream media....but they are non mainstream because they are either too small or too out in left field...

...and within the realm of mainstream media lies quite a bit of diversity in covberage and opinion.

Right, but we are seeing the rapid demise of formal newspapers, news gathering organizations, foreign bureaus, senior editors, etc. In the old days, it took a large team hours to get photos and days to get film back to the broadcasting mothership.

Remember when MTV actually had music videos 24/7?

But the audience does exist....as has the growth and preference for a 24/7 news cycle format.

He also breathed air, so I guess that correlates as well. All air breathers have the potential for assassination. Marvelous.

Actually my opinions are based on logic. Logic that believes the very things that influence you and all the time you spend on this forum, also influence nutters.

It's not about suppressing opinions, just expecting people in responsible positions to take more care in the way they express them.

A nutter may have very different objectives and loony issues but when they hear people in media and other areas where we should be able to expect responsible behavior, talking about taking people out and second amendment remedies regarding real legislation, it can only reinforce whatever violent tendencies he may have toward pursuing his objectives.

You can't blame any one area or group for this guy's actions but at the very least there are a lot of public people who we have a right to expect better from, who's actions do nothing to help prevent situations like this.