Has talk radio gone to far?

Topaz

Correct. The opposite is to invite business suicide.

If those are the people you are catering to but if so, don't claim to be objective. Admit your bias and run with it. Your viewers have the same bias and aren't really interested in news, just reinforcing their own opinions.

I am not a consumer of either so I cannot comment one way or another but I do not believe that two outlets represent the totality of mainstream media....not when there is also available for consumers; NBC, CBS , PBS, CTV, SHAW, CBC, BBC, Hearst, WSJ, NYT, GAnnett, Rogers, BellGlobeMedia, The Times, etc etc etc etc etc etc....

FOX is the number one network in the US. FOX and MSNBC are the top two cable news networks. Certainly there is a lot of MSM out there that does try to be objective. These are not the ones I refer to.

Canada is kind of a different world. Our politicians and media say a lot of stupid things but show little tendency to include violence in the discussion either actually or metaphorically.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when MTV actually had music videos 24/7?

No actually...I have never seen one minute of MTV.

But I have been a part of mainstream media since 1985...and even then, we had satelittes to transmit our photos coast to coast...

An aside..the Globe and Mail's circulation has actually risen every year for the past 3 years..

....You can't blame any one area or group for this guy's actions but at the very least there are a lot of public people who we have a right to expect better from, who's actions do nothing to help prevent situations like this.

More importantly, Americans won't constrain the flow of controversial ideas (that has always existed) regardless of the medium. In America...we shoot people for lots of reasons.

According to Wiki, when it comes to over air networks, FOX reaches slightly more households than either of them.

LINKY

That is availability, not viewership. Fox has only 6 shows in the top 40...CBS has 21

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/nielsens-charts.htm

You can here as well, although inciting violence is frowned upon.

So is hate speech...but that is not illegal in the US.

I've noticed.

Sorry to be so glib about it, but it's a fact. America is a violent place...always has been.

As the saying goes, God created man...Sam Colt made them equal.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

So is hate speech...but that is not illegal in the US.

That would come under inciting violence.

Sorry to be so glib about it, but it's a fact. America is a violent place...always has been.

As the saying goes, God created man...Sam Colt made them equal.

Unless the other guy has a bigger Colt.

Edited by Wilber

But the fact it is available in the most homes definitely classifies it as MSM. They have some good entertainment programs but I certainly wouldn't rely on them for objective news.

Never said they weren't MSM. I did however challenge the notion they are the #1 network in the US.

....for that matter, all networks are MSM..even the Disney Channel....

...you got the limo out front

...hottest styles every shoe every colour...

....hence the larger capacity magazines. Now old timers like me didn't like large capacity magazines because they would jam, so we would only load 5 at a time. Made for easier countin' at the range.

Point being, Samuel Colt really did nothing to make people equal. It's like saying the guy driving the Porsche is equal to the guy driving a Corolla on a road course.

Why would anyone watch,listen or read anything that they don't want to hear...

The statement that mainstream media has lost its objectivity is groundless.

Why would anyone watch,listen or read anything that they don't want to hear...

Because sometimes information that isnt entertaining is still important.

The statement that mainstream media has lost its objectivity is groundless.

:lol:

Point being, Samuel Colt really did nothing to make people equal. It's like saying the guy driving the Porsche is equal to the guy driving a Corolla on a road course.

Well, in a way they are....for a head on collision! Colt was important because he made reliable firearms affordable to the public.

Firearms were the tools of American liberty, expansion, and law enforcement. They still are.

Say again?

Information that is important is what I would want to watch, listen or read...

Wanting somthing is not limited to entertainment.

That MAY be the case with you personally but it isnt the case with most people. Which is why networks the goon it up get higher ratings. People want celebrity fluff, and sensationalism and thats why infotainment networks like Fox and CNN outperform other networks.

Viewers are very much like children in school... if courses in elementary school were ratings driven then we would have some pretty dumb kids. The traditional idea behind media that trained journalists would determine the content based on journalistic value... what we have no is content being determined on its ability to generate ad revenue.

Yup, there's a thread on that somewhere :)-

Saying that 'talk radio has gone too far' and all the blather and blame about over heated political rhetoric is simply 'code' for attempts to shut down conservative view points. Where were all the complainers when the political rhetoric, death threats and hate speech was against Bush !

what we have no is content being determined on its ability to generate ad revenue.

Quite incorrect. All content generates an audience, depending on the audience, that audience will interest an advertiser....

Which is why you will find the Archer Daniels Corp advertising on CNN and not on TMZ...

As a % of their schedule, how much celebrity fluff do you think CNN airs?

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/

It creeps into pretty much all their programs... Iv never calculated a percentage though. News is probably about 10% of their programming, the rest is editorializing, shows like Larry King that interview Liza Manelli or Barbara streissand 3 times a week.

Theres still the same hour worth of real news that people watched at 6pm in the 70's, but not its watered down with 23 hours of fluff.

Quite incorrect. All content generates an audience, depending on the audience, that audience will interest an advertiser....

Which is why you will find the Archer Daniels Corp advertising on CNN and not on TMZ...

No sorry. In this case market research teams determine content so that they can reach a certain demographic. Thats what ratings driven content is.