Need for National Myths, Canada v. U.S.

And you are out of your league for Chinese, Russian, Pakistan policies for tactical and strategic weapons. It does not matter who launches the first nuke, other countries will get involved that I am sure of. But since I have never actually seen a nuke that somehow disqualifies me from talking about it? Are you sure Captain Canada?

However this is getting off topic.

GH...BC used to baby nuclear weapons...FYI. Respect. He knows more about 'nukes' than all of us combined.

Edited by DogOnPorch

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GH...BC used to baby nuclear weapons...FYI. Respect. He knows more about 'nukes' than all of us combined.

Does that make whatever I say less important because I've not had that kind of in depth knowledge about nukes? We all know what a nuke does when used, we all know what happens when a nuke is dropped. We all know that no one wants to see another nuke go off.

Does that make whatever I say less important because I've not had that kind of in depth knowledge about nukes?

No...just far less informed. Yours are emotional responses (in the absence of knowledge and experience) that are very common in the general population.

We all know what a nuke does when used, we all know what happens when a nuke is dropped.

Oh I doubt that, as the options and effects are varied indeed. Today's nukes are not your father's Oldsmobile.

We all know that no one wants to see another nuke go off.

Well, over two thousand have "gone off" in tests, and I'm betting more will follow from nuclear wannabes. C'mon...join the club...it's your uranium after all! ;)

This is an extracted part of a post that I believe creates some serious food for thought and discussion.

As most will be quick to say, many of the U.S.'s myths are seen through rose-colored or distorted glasses, but do nourish our patriotism. Canadian patriotism seems far more muted and not the unifying force it is in the U.S.

Myth denoted something that is "make-believe". Nothing make belief about the bald eagle or "old glory". I think a better would be national "symbols".

There is one huge reason why Canadians are less patriotic: we don't teach history in school (i'm talking kindergarten through grade 12). Well, barely. The first time i heard the names Samuel de Champlain and Jacques Cartier was in grade 7 history class, which is pathetically late. I don't even remember taking history in elementary school, all i can remember is learning Canadian geography. Well, we may have learned about a few isolated stories/figures like Terry Fox, but nothing approaching a narrative of the history of the country until junior high. But even in junior/high school, history classes were sparse.

I also didn't take one "civics" class through school, nor was it offered. Pathetic.

It is difficult for one to be proud of your country when one knows nothing about it.

There is one huge reason why Canadians are less patriotic: we don't teach history in school (i'm talking kindergarten through grade 12). Well, barely. The first time i heard the names Samuel de Champlain and Jacques Cartier was in grade 7 history class, which is pathetically late. I don't even remember taking history in elementary school, all i can remember is learning Canadian geography. Well, we may have learned about a few isolated stories/figures like Terry Fox, but nothing approaching a narrative of the history of the country until junior high. But even in junior/high school, history classes were sparse.

I don't know where you live, but it's certainly not like that in Manitoba. I started learning Canadian History in Grade 4/5.

There is one huge reason why Canadians are less patriotic: we don't teach history in school (i'm talking kindergarten through grade 12). Well, barely...

....It is difficult for one to be proud of your country when one knows nothing about it.

If this is true, there is certainly a difference in teaching a patriotic framework. So you are saying there is no equivalent to Pilgrims, chopping down cherry trees, or..THE BRITISH ARE COMING!

Maybe this was necessary in the US to eradicate any allegiance to the former sovereign, in which case it has been very effective.

The main reason theres less overt patriotism in Canada is the state doesnt push it on people. Americans are indoctrinated into state sycophancy from a young age by things like the pledge of allegiance and so on. Theres also a lot less military idolitry in Canada.

Canadians ARE patriotic but its usually more centered around a sense of attachment to the Canadian people and the land... not the state and the flag.

For example...

Canadians often think of themselves as less patriotic than people of other nationalities, particularly Americans.

But a four-country poll shows that with the notable exception of francophone Quebecers, Canadians are more deeply attached to their country than people in the United States, Germany or Spain.

Ninety-five per cent of Canadians outside Quebec said they are attached to their country, compared to 92 per cent of Americans, 84 per cent of Germans and 81 per cent of Spaniards, according to the survey for the Association of Canadian Studies.

"I think that Canadians presume that Americans are super patriotic and have a deep sense of attachment because we think they manifest their attachment more openly than Canadians do," said Jack Jedwab, executive director of the association. "We think we are modest about our identification with Canada, but I don't believe that to be the case. Repeatedly, survey after survey shows that outside of Quebec, Canadians have a very deep sense of attachment to their country," Jedwab said.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Canadians+more+patriotic+than+Americans/4040278/story.html#ixzz1AnFCI2wb

Canadians edge out Americans by a small percentage when asked that question. But theyre less likely to wave around the flag (which is the government symbol), and less likely to make a bunch of noise about it.

The main reason theres less overt patriotism in Canada is the state doesnt push it on people. Americans are indoctrinated into state sycophancy from a young age by things like the pledge of allegiance and so on. Theres also a lot less military idolitry in Canada.

Canadians ARE patriotic but its usually more centered around a sense of attachment to the Canadian people and the land... not the state and the flag.

For example...

Canadians edge out Americans by a small percentage when asked that question. But theyre less likely to wave around the flag (which is the government symbol), and less likely to make a bunch of noise about it.

That study is obviously deeply flawed, just by the phrasing of this question, as these kinds of polls so often are. A question like "are you attached to your country?" is utterly meaningless. What does it actually mean? Can you describe it? Would that definition be the same as what every person thinks of when asked the same question or would different people interpret it differently? How does this attachment manifest itself, and to what extent can a person accurately reflect upon and self-report this attachment? In any case, patriotism is a matter of degree, people saying they are "attached" doesn't tell you how strongly attached they are.

I actually don't care too much about this topic but presenting that kind of study as evidence of anything (except as evidence of how meaningless studies can be) is just silly.

Edited by Bonam

....Canadians edge out Americans by a small percentage when asked that question. But theyre less likely to wave around the flag (which is the government symbol), and less likely to make a bunch of noise about it.

Right, as even the design of the Canadian flag was open to The Great Flag Debate of the 1960's.

That study is obviously deeply flawed, just by the phrasing of this question, as these kinds of polls so often are. A question like "are you attached to your country?" is utterly meaningless. What does it actually mean? ....

Agreed...I found the question to be devoid of any clear meaning as well. "Attached" is an odd characterization for nation or country.

That study is obviously deeply flawed, just by the phrasing of this question, as these kinds of polls so often are. A question like "are you attached to your country?" is utterly meaningless. What does it actually mean? Can you describe it? Would that definition be the same as what every person thinks of when asked the same question or would different people interpret it differently? How does this attachment manifest itself, and to what extent can a person accurately reflect upon and self-report this attachment? In any case, patriotism is a matter of degree, people saying they are "attached" doesn't tell you how strongly attached they are.

I actually don't care too much about this topic but presenting that kind of study as evidence of anything (except as evidence of how meaningless studies can be) is just silly.

Actually the question is worded perfectly. Patriotism at its very essense IS a sense of attachment or belonging to a country and its people.

Actually the question is worded perfectly. Patriotism at its very essense IS a sense of attachment or belonging to a country and its people.

I pledge allegiance attachment to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I pledge allegiance attachment to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Patriotism is absolutely NOT allegiance to any government... or at least it doesnt have to be. Which is where the entire misconception that is this thread comes from.

You dont have to wave a flag around or get a tatoo of it on your ass to be patriotic. And you certainly dont have to pledge allegiance to any government symbols.

Guest TrueMetis

I pledge allegiance attachment to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all some.

Much better.

Actually the question is worded perfectly.

Clearly it is not. I find it to be ambiguous, as does BC, and probably many others. The fact that the wording makes sense to you personally does not in any way redeem this question. A well worded question would not be so widely open to subjective interpretation as to its meaning.

Patriotism is absolutely NOT allegiance to any government... or at least it doesnt have to be. Which is where the entire misconception that is this thread comes from....

Allegiance is pledged to the flag as a symbol of the nation, not any government. America (and Canada) are far more than just their respective governments.

Clearly it is not. I find it to be ambiguous, as does BC, and probably many others. The fact that the wording makes sense to you personally does not in any way redeem this question. A well worded question would not be so widely open to subjective interpretation as to its meaning.

The fact that the wording makes sense to you personally does not in any way redeem this question

And the fact that it DOESNT make sense to you personally doesnt in any way mean question is wrong. The reason that term was chosen is because patriotism can mean a lot of things. But all of them represent an attachment to a place or the people that live there.

"Attachment" simply means that you have a bond with something.

a feeling that binds one to a person, thing, cause, ideal, or the like; devotion; regard: a fond attachment to his cousin; a profound attachment to the cause of peace.

Guest American Woman

I would think "to the republic, for which it stands, one nation...." would make it obvious to everyone that we're not pledging allegiance literally to the flag. :rolleyes: And I just love it when non-Americans go on about what "Americans are subjected to all their lives." :lol:

I would think "to the republic, for which it stands, one nation...." would make it obvious to everyone that we're not pledging allegiance literally to the flag. :rolleyes: And I just love it when non-Americans go on about what "Americans are subjected to all their lives." :lol:

I suspect God's country is in Wisconsin.

What are you pledging allegiance to?

Edited by pinko

So it's wrong to use such weapons, but since we don't, it's because we're too scared to use it? :unsure:

I was referring to BC-2004, who has confused his personal identity with the actions of the United States.

Since you can't take anything that little bully says seriously, all responses to him must be taken with a grain of salt as well.

Many of us respond to him in his own style, that's all it is.

Edited by bloodyminded