Rules and regulations

Scotty

The rules and regulations of this site are fairly straightford and clear. They state that not only will insults not be acceptable but that all posters should avoid inflmmatory posts, and should treat each other with respect and courtesy.

These rules are laudable but appear to not be at all enforced. Almost every topic in every category of discussion is filled with open insults, contempt, disrespect, childish sneers, innuendo and adolescent mockery and sarcasm. It would be harder to find posts which DO obey the rules than to find those which don't.

This site did not used to be anywhere near this bad. How has it been allowed to degererate into the state it now finds itself?

I'm assuming Charles is gone and Greg is too busy to do much moderation. Is that correct? That being the case I think we need more moderators.

I suspect Charles and Greg have much better things to do with their time than police this crew.

Hey Michael have you started a list of email addresses yet, to keep in touch in case...you know...like the last three or so times we've gone diaspora? It is starting to feel like old times isn't it?

Hi Scott, seen Oliver in your travels and did you ever keep track of jlk, Avs or tweety or tweeter or something? Yeah there was a real charmer as I recall.

I too joined this board some time ago but visit infrequently and never bother to post much. Seems the same old same old to me.

Frankly I find your contempt for the various personalities on this board insulting.

And nanny mods are always annoying.

most of the personalities on this board deserve to be insulted.

Uhhh... THAT Scott wouldn't complain about unfair moderation, he would complain about there being any moderation at all.

I'd personally prefer it if there were either strict moderation or no moderation. The way it is now fifteen people can do something or say something without notice, but the sixteenth winds up being suspended simply because the mods notice it, or someone complains.

• Forum Admin

I'd personally prefer it if there were either strict moderation or no moderation. The way it is now fifteen people can do something or say something without notice, but the sixteenth winds up being suspended simply because the mods notice it, or someone complains.

I believe good moderation falls somewhere in between total anarchy and strict approval of each postings (which would be closer to fascism). As in life, the majority of offenses go unpunished - it is simply unrealistic to monitor every post or private message of every single contributor. I don't have the time nor the patience to undertake such a task and I don't think anyone would want to contribute to a forum where their behavior is constantly watched and critiqued.

On the other hand, it's important that someone (Charles and I, in this case) keep an eye out for negative trends (repeated offenses, etc) and severe rule breaking.

As I've stated in the past, this forum is what you make of it. I can't force peace (or intelligent discussion, for that matter) upon anyone. It is everyone's responsibility to take the high road when attacked or insulted and the strength of the community (and the discussion is produces) depends on the majority of the participants treating each other with respect.

Have said that, I'm open to the suggestion that another moderator be added to the mix.

I am going to speak with Charles and I will be posting a request in this section of the forum shortly.

Feel free to add your two cents to the discussion below.

Thanks,

I believe good moderation falls somewhere in between total anarchy and strict approval of each postings (which would be closer to fascism). As in life, the majority of offenses go unpunished - it is simply unrealistic to monitor every post or private message of every single contributor. I don't have the time nor the patience to undertake such a task and I don't think anyone would want to contribute to a forum where their behavior is constantly watched and critiqued.

On the other hand, it's important that someone (Charles and I, in this case) keep an eye out for negative trends (repeated offenses, etc) and severe rule breaking.

As I've stated in the past, this forum is what you make of it. I can't force peace (or intelligent discussion, for that matter) upon anyone. It is everyone's responsibility to take the high road when attacked or insulted and the strength of the community (and the discussion is produces) depends on the majority of the participants treating each other with respect.

Have said that, I'm open to the suggestion that another moderator be added to the mix.

I am going to speak with Charles and I will be posting a request in this section of the forum shortly.

Feel free to add your two cents to the discussion below.

Thanks,

I've spoken to Charles he suggests just ignoring the offender, which is hard to do it's not in my nature to walk away when insulted when slapped I tend to punch back...then I move the offender to the permanent ignore list, which happens to have 9-11 members...

I agree that we need another moderator, the insults etc. are becoming more frequent, at one time this was a great place with very few insults and personal attacks. The moderator would have to be completely unbiased of course.

It is, in the end, a qualitative judgement call on the part of the moderator. Well-phrased and accurate rejoinders can be ok, repeated base insults mostly are not ok.

It is, in the end, a qualitative judgement call on the part of the moderator. Well-phrased and accurate rejoinders can be ok, repeated base insults mostly are not ok.

I don't understand the need for people to insult others online..you wouldn't do this in a face to face discussion unless you were looking to get punched why do it online...it's like road rage the moment an insult is used civil discussion ends

and it escalates out of control...

I don't understand the need for people to insult others online..you wouldn't do this in a face to face discussion unless you were looking to get punched why do it online...it's like road rage the moment an insult is used civil discussion ends

and it escalates out of control...

No, but you might pull someone's shorts down figuratively with a witty rejoinder, after you had spoken with them for a bit... or in our case... for thousands of posts over several years.

No, but you might pull someone's shorts down figuratively with a witty rejoinder, after you had spoken with them for a bit... or in our case... for thousands of posts over several years.

yup...and never an insult that I can recall and we don't see eye to eye on every issue...there are others here as well that even though they and I don't always agree the exchange remains civil...

You as moderator would go one of two ways - you would either grow up fast (as much as that's possible) or you would become worse than ever. Luckily for us, we'll never know as either outcome would not be fun.

There is of course, the third option. I would do very little. I think the ideal moderator does bugger all aside from sweeping the halls of dust and emptying the bins. For me, the only thing that crosses the line are commercial spammers and threats.

Edited by M.Dancer

yup...and never an insult that I can recall and we don't see eye to eye on every issue...there are others here as well that even though they and I don't always agree the exchange remains civil...

I'll sometimes give an artful jab to someone's argument, though not usually posters of your calibre...

You as moderator would go one of two ways - you would either grow up fast (as much as that's possible) or you would become worse than ever. Luckily for us, we'll never know as either outcome would not be fun.

dancer as a mod? I'd leave he's been on my ignore list for some time now...

if there is another mod to be added I'd hope greg or charles choose wisely...

There is of course, the third option. I would do very little. I think the ideal moderator does bugger all aside from sweeping the halls of dust and emptying the bins. For me, the only thing that crosses the line are commercial spammers and threats.

I disagree. Forums full of posters insulting people are the equivalent of a dirty neighbourhood. Likewise, for pointless or pedestrian arguments. We have built something valuable here in the body of posters that remain, and are able to argue points well - why should we do nothing when the Lictors of the world show up with their bouquets of crap ?

Further to that, I will make a point of calling out posters regardless of their political bent.

I disagree. Forums full of posters insulting people are the equivalent of a dirty neighbourhood. Likewise, for pointless or pedestrian arguments. We have built something valuable here in the body of posters that remain, and are able to argue points well - why should we do nothing when the Lictors of the world show up with their bouquets of crap ?

Further to that, I will make a point of calling out posters regardless of their political bent.

agreed..I have another forum bookmarked that I very rarely visit (I should delete it), it's totally un-moderated and it's absolute chaos any meaningful discussion is next to impossible...and there is another that is so over moderated that it's stifling, devoid of personality(I received a warning on my second post for sarcasm)...