Pentagon's Xmas present

re: the OP topic.

The US defense budget is insane. But minus 2 ridiculous wars and a frightening military-industrial complex, the US has some good reasons to amass such huge military spending. It is the global hegemon, and must spend accordingly to try to keep it that way.

The US is also the West's military monkey. The US spends vast amounts of money on its military, while virtually every other western country spends far less, and depends greatly on the US to police the world and provide military protection for them. Heck, Japan spends less than 1% of its GDP on its military and doesn't posses nukes (in the name of the horrors of Hiroshima/Nagasaki, as their gov has publicly stated) despite significant regional adversaries.

It's a convenient relationship for both parties. The US gets to be #1 and call the shots, while its allies have more money to spend on social programs etc. and generally get the rep as "the good guys".

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it isn't. You don't devote 18,000 posts here to show irony.

I just want to show how much I care about the gawking teenage girl begging for attention!

There's nothing strange about Canadians, or any other country, focusing closely on what the global superpower does. Would seem a logical thing to do.

But those Americans are so stupid...WE HATE BUSH! Other nations do not define their identity as not American. "Focusing closely" is an understatement.

What is strange is you focusing so closely on what people in another country think of yours, when, as you love to remind people, we have a very moderate-if-minimal impact on US and world affairs, and thus your life.

What's so strange about mimmicking and mocking the same behaviour for fun and games?

Would seem a better allocation of your time to focus more on what is happening in your country and in international affairs since it has a far larger impact on your life.

Canada is "international affairs"....watching you watching me!

Thanks Omarosa, but what exactly is racist about it?

Are you iron cookware?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

The Canadian economy is very dependent on US consumption and growth. This forms the foundation for the love-hate anxiety so commonly displayed towards America.

If you know this is so, why the disingenuous (and, after three years, tiresome) "why you Canadians so concerned with lil' old us?" routine?

Oh right: you're a troll.

Edited by Black Dog

If you know this is so, why the disingenuous (and, after three years, tiresome) "why you Canadians so concerned with lil' old us?" routine?

It's not my fault this is so. Exploring the dichotomy provides endless entertainment from "Amerika sucks!" to "Why won't they let me cross the border?".....too funny!

Oh right: you're a troll.

A certified red, white, and blue troll. You gotta problem with that?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Some interesting stats on defense spending....

http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

http://armscontrolcenter.org/policy/securityspending/articles/fy09_dod_request_global/

The USA accounts for 48% of the world's spending on military. #2 is China. ABout one sixth of what the USA spends...

I think I figured out how to balance the USA's budget!! But, must "support the troops"...

What an endless pit of dollars wasted. :o

Guest American Woman
Pentagon's Christmas Present: Largest Military Budget Since World War II

In other news, budgets for education, medicare, housing, etc. have also hit highs since the 1940's, along with minimum wage.

Right...that's what we think about the Gun Registry in Canada!

The gun registry is a pitance compared to U.S. defence spending. That comparison is laughable...

In other news, budgets for education, medicare, housing, etc. have also hit highs since the 1940's, along with minimum wage.

As a percentage of the budget, health spending and medicare have decreased. These figures are in the first link that I provided.

Also, minimum wage in terms of "todays dollars" and spending power has gone down.

http://googolplex.cuna.org/32763/cnote/article.php?doc_id=1544

Edited by The_Squid

Nobody cries harder about wasting even pittance pennies than Canada. The American defense budget is for.... America...and some Canadian defense contractors! ;)

you brought up the gun registry... not me. The gun registry waste doesn't negate the fact that the U.S. defense budget is a bloated behemoth that should be drastically cut. That's just an attempt to deflect the topic. If you don't wish to speak to the topic, just ignore it... no need for red herrings. :lol:

you brought up the gun registry... not me. The gun registry waste doesn't negate the fact that the U.S. defense budget is a bloated behemoth that should be drastically cut. That's just an attempt to deflect the topic. If you don't wish to speak to the topic, just ignore it... no need for red herrings. :lol:

It is precisely on topic...Americans can "waste" their federal budget any way they please...just like Canada. The "bloated" American defense budget goes a long way and shoulders a far greater burden for joint defense with Canada and many other nations (NATO, NORAD, ANZUS, etc.). If you don't like that...tough bounce.

Guest American Woman

As a percentage of the budget, health spending and medicare have decreased. 

My point, as I intended it, stands. It's ridiculous to compare a budget in 2010 dollars to a budget in 1940 dollars.

Also, minimum wage in terms of "todays dollars" and spending power has gone down.

http://googolplex.cuna.org/32763/cnote/article.php?doc_id=1544

This is actually an argument as to why a larger military budget would be necessary. If todays dollars buy less than they have in the past, then a larger budget would be needed just to keep things status quo. Seems to me a 7% increase in the budget isn't all that astonishing under the circumstances.

Edited by American Woman