What is the DHS doing to keep you safe?

http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1291648380371.shtm

Huh?? Not like I shop at Wal Mart, but this is just insane.

Secretary Napolitano Announces Expansion of "If You See Something, Say Something" Campaign to Walmart Stores Across the Nation

Release Date: December 6, 2010

For Immediate Release

Office of the Press Secretary

Washington, D.C. - Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano today announced the expansion of the Department's national "If You See Something, Say Something" campaign to hundreds of Walmart stores across the country - launching a new partnership between DHS and Walmart to help the American public play an active role in ensuring the safety and security of our nation.

"Homeland security starts with hometown security, and each of us plays a critical role in keeping our country and communities safe," said Secretary Napolitano. "I applaud Walmart for joining the ‘If You See Something, Say Something' campaign. This partnership will help millions of shoppers across the nation identify and report indicators of terrorism, crime and other threats to law enforcement authorities."

It seems to get worse.....

http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2010/08/24/full-body-scan-technology-deployed-in-street-roving-vans/

American Science & Engineering, a company based in Billerica, Massachusetts, has sold U.S. and foreign government agencies more than 500 backscatter x-ray scanners mounted in vans that can be driven past neighboring vehicles to see their contents, Joe Reiss, a vice president of marketing at the company told me in an interview. While the biggest buyer of AS&E’s machines over the last seven years has been the Department of Defense operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, Reiss says law enforcement agencies have also deployed the vans to search for vehicle-based bombs in the U.S.

When do we start to see x-ray machines at stadiums and other public spaces? Way to make a paranoid society even more paranoid of each other.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1291648380371.shtm

Huh?? Not like I shop at Wal Mart, but this is just insane.

It seems to get worse.....

http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2010/08/24/full-body-scan-technology-deployed-in-street-roving-vans/

When do we start to see x-ray machines at stadiums and other public spaces? Way to make a paranoid society even more paranoid of each other.

The main problems on these are the potential health effects in incidences of non recorded exposures. Also arbitrary search - but I geuss in the US the patriot act probably superceeds what were once constitutional protections.

In most medical or "public security" xray scans you are given the option to opt for alternative measures. Also xrays can potentially interfere with some medical devices.

Any half decent stadium has on-site medical facilities with imaging equipment...you must be from Canada! ;)

Good point but they probably have safer xray technology.. if they even use it..

The energy being emitted by a backscatter X-ray is a type of ionizing radiation that damages chemical bonds. Ionizing radiation is considered carcinogenic even in very small doses by some groups such as the USNRC, but considered negligible at such doses by others such as the ANS.
Edited by William Ashley

"Homeland security starts with hometown security, and each of us plays a critical role in keeping our country and communities safe," said Secretary Napolitano. "I applaud Walmart for joining the ‘If You See Something, Say Something' campaign. This partnership will help millions of shoppers across the nation identify and report indicators of terrorism, crime and other threats to law enforcement authorities."

I guess it won't be to long until they come up with a similar message on TV telling us that real security starts at home and that keeping an eye on everyone, even family members, can play a critical role in keeping our law enforcement authorities safe.

Is it just me or is that bit about a threat to the authorities a little on the weird side? Is it the medium or the message that causes that?

This whole "be suspicious, and keep an eye on your neighbors" theme is nothing new. It was big in the Nazi era, and the McCarthy era in the US as well.

These shitbags take hundreds of billions of your dollars in the name of "security", and then they try to turn citizens against each other and into government snitches.

I guess it won't be to long until they come up with a similar message on TV telling us that real security starts at home and that keeping an eye on everyone, even family members, can play a critical role in keeping our law enforcement authorities safe.

Is it just me or is that bit about a threat to the authorities a little on the weird side? Is it the medium or the message that causes that?

Making Americans scared is the most lucrative industry in the history of the human race. This kind of stuff is great for keeping people afraid.

This whole "be suspicious, and keep an eye on your neighbors" theme is nothing new. It was big in the Nazi era, and the McCarthy era in the US as well.

I know, I just thought that bit about making the world safe for law enforcement authorities in particular seemed a little more over the top than usual.

Perhaps this wikileaks thing has rattled the state apparatus more than meets the eye and it really is scared, the poor wee thing.

I know, I just thought that bit about making the world safe for law enforcement authorities in particular seemed a little more over the top than usual.

Perhaps this wikileaks thing has rattled the state apparatus more than meets the eye and it really is scared, the poor wee thing.

I am more leaning to the whole wikileaks as a psy-ops program. My uncle who is ex-military, agrees with me.

But it is getting to that stage almost everywhere. Everyone is a suspect. This is not the way to live, this is not what humanity should be. The more we are suspicious of each other, the more divided things become.

In a word much of this stuff is designed to make the average person submit to these outrageous requirements. Full body pat downs which can get really invasive, to the point it would be assault anywhere else. They are not designed to catch terrorists, they are designed to make the average person submit, plain and simple.

But how much will people take? Will people finally stand up and say 'wtf is this about'? Next thing you are going to see these body scanners in sports stadiums and malls. Since that has not happened yet, you will see a 'terror' attack in a mall or stadium just before they go with full scale use of the scanners in those places.

Does any of this make you feel any safer? If you have to get scanned everywhere you go?

This is what you call tyranny.

But how much will people take? Will people finally stand up and say 'wtf is this about'? Next thing you are going to see these body scanners in sports stadiums and malls.

Thats the beauty of it. People will put up with virtually anything if you appeal to their security, and hype the threat of extreme violence or death.

You or BC got anything useful to add to the conversation?

You mean aside from letting you know that a PSA campaign in the states won't affect you? I would say calming your trembling tender heart is my good deed for the year.

I can only hope that Ottawa takes the cue and we will see something like this in Value Village so that you can take umbrage closer to home...

Hahahaha! Good one!

It really is not a good one, and I will explain why.

We can say BC is a US citizen (face it if he isn't, he then becomes the biggest joke on this board since lictor was banned), And if Dancer is an American, then they should be concerned. It's them that are going to get groped and radiated even when going to the mall or to see their fave team play. That is not here in Canada (well not yet anyways). So they can laugh all they want, but in the end it is them who has to deal with this sort of crap.

It's their rights that are being violated, but in the land of the free, this seems to be the norm now. Home of the limited freedom. I am all for security, but this is just security theater to make the average person feel safe after all the fear the government puts into them. See it's like this, the government creates the problem just so they can provide a solution.

It's really sad that they can laugh it off as their freedoms have slowly been taken away since 9/11.

It really is not a good one, and I will explain why.

We can say BC is a US citizen (face it if he isn't, he then becomes the biggest joke on this board since lictor was banned), And if Dancer is an American, then they should be concerned. It's them that are going to get groped and radiated even when going to the mall or to see their fave team play. That is not here in Canada (well not yet anyways). So they can laugh all they want, but in the end it is them who has to deal with this sort of crap.

It's their rights that are being violated, but in the land of the free, this seems to be the norm now. Home of the limited freedom. I am all for security, but this is just security theater to make the average person feel safe after all the fear the government puts into them. See it's like this, the government creates the problem just so they can provide a solution.

It's really sad that they can laugh it off as their freedoms have slowly been taken away since 9/11.

Oh yeah I get all that. I was referring the joke you made BC adding something to a discussion :lol:

Classic! :D

Add something to the conversation. :lol::lol::lol:

...It's their rights that are being violated, but in the land of the free, this seems to be the norm now. Home of the limited freedom. I am all for security, but this is just security theater to make the average person feel safe after all the fear the government puts into them. See it's like this, the government creates the problem just so they can provide a solution.

Like your foreign confusion about Disneyland vs. Disney World, you don't have have any insight or perspective for what has been standard prodecure for many entertainment venues since long before 9/11 or DHS (e.g. rock concerts), having nothing to do with the government.

It's even funnier to laugh off your gut wrenching concerns over what happens to foreign nationals in another country. What's it to you?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Making Americans scared is the most lucrative industry in the history of the human race. This kind of stuff is great for keeping people afraid.

911 was what made Americans afraid. Underwear bombers and shoe bombers and crazed army doctors are what make Americans afraid.

BE POLITE AND RESPECT OTHERS

Mapleleafweb operates these forums in the hopes that they will promote intelligent, honest and responsible discussion. We encourage you to speak your mind on relevant issues in a thoughtful way. Please respect others using this board and treat them with respect and dignity.

That's OK...it still you watching and laughing at us. What will those crazy Americans do next?

Well, we will see the US greenback collapse in the next decade. Again, this is all happening in your country, but you seem OK with this kind of tyranny, even if you can't recognize that it is tyranny.

Your rights have been taken away - BC says WHO CARES YOU STUPID CANADIAN.

You have invasive pat downs and radiation scanners - BC WHY SO CONCERNED ABOUT AMERICA WTF LOLOLOLOLOLOL AHAHAHAHHA USA#1.

You have people ratting anyone out - BC - WHO CARES STUPID CANADIAN.

VIPR squads on the streets and bus terminals - BC - WHO CARES !!! THIS IS AMERICA HOME OF THE ..... free??

The US is supposed to be that shining example of freedom and civil rights. That is no longer the case. You BC are no longer free. But continue to laugh at me, as your country goes down the crapper.

Like Jerald Celente said, when you got nothing left to lose, you lose it. And you BC have lost it, I am worried about your mental health, because you are living the facade that is freedom when you know deep down it really is messed up.