What is the DHS doing to keep you safe?

Not my reading, it's your logic that impairs you. Why is the 4th any different than the 2nd? Why aren't you arguing against not allowing armned passengers on planes? Why haven't you nbeen able to construct an argument that claims that airline security is not reasonable?

Guns on board do not make sense, because of the real risks guns impose. I know you two like to be as facetious as can be, which is really annoying and well, does not help anyone at all. I've contructed the argument already, please pay attention, it would help both you and BC.

It's always been illegal to carry guns on board, do your point is pointless.

Prove it.

What do you want me to prove? Do you want me to prove guns have always been banned or the fact that debating you and BC is completely pointless.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I'm not...you are refusing to accept basic logic, whether they be government schools or private businesses, which had to respond to the right-to-carry.

Why aren't you jumping up and down in Saskatoon about my loss of gun rights?

Irrelevant, stay on topic for once.

Prove it.

What do you want me to prove? Do you want me to prove guns have always been banned or the fact that debating you and BC is completely pointless.

You made a claim that is false. To compound it, because you seem to feel that the 2nd admendment does not carry here, it is irrelevant to the 4th...they are linked but you seem unable to connect the dots as BC might say....

and yes it is pointless to have a battle of wits with me if you are clearly unarmed.

Guns on board do not make sense, because of the real risks guns impose.

How abot explosives in shoes or up the rectum?

What do you want me to prove? Do you want me to prove guns have always been banned ....

Your claim...good luck

Your claim...good luck

You really think that body cavities are going to be used to blow planes up? That notion was ridiculed over a year ago when that argument came out. We even discussed that here.

You think prosthetic are going to be used to blow up a plane?

You think granny in a wheelchair is going to blow up a plane?

You think little 5 year old Johnny is going to blow up a plane?

Use your brains for once. Security is needed, but whatever this crap the TSA is putting into place will not provide you any more security than what was there before.

You really think that body cavities are going to be used to blow planes up? That notion was ridiculed over a year ago when that argument came out. We even discussed that here.

You think prosthetic are going to be used to blow up a plane?

You think granny in a wheelchair is going to blow up a plane?

You think little 5 year old Johnny is going to blow up a plane?

Use your brains for once. Security is needed, but whatever this crap the TSA is putting into place will not provide you any more security than what was there before.

Yes I suppose at one time no one thought that a shoe bomb was possible or that shampoo bottles could contain explosive components....I imagine you were one who ridiculed the extremely possible?

Yes I suppose at one time no one thought that a shoe bomb was possible or that shampoo bottles could contain explosive components....I imagine you were one who ridiculed the extremely possible?

Anything is possible, anything. What you need to look at is what is plausibility and probability. Common sense needs to be used, and common sense is NOT being used. That is why you get blanketed security. If you focus on where the problems come from you can provide better security. In the past 10 years since 9/11, you'd think that security would be better and more effective. That is not the case. You are no more safer from a terrorist attack than you were before 9/11.

Also when a guy like Chertoff has a vested stake in the company that is contracted to put out the body scanners, you have to wonder where his interests lies.

Guest American Woman

I don't think you've been paying that much attention. ...

...your freedoms have been slowly been taken away since 9/11 with the introduction of the Patriot Act. Look into it.

If I have to look into it, if I'm unaware of it in my day-to-day life, then nothing's changed. That's my point. You're reading about what it's like in the U.S. while I'm living it. The media likes to sell, so just about everything these days is hyped up, and you're buying into the media frenzy.

Americans aren't losing their freedoms. Americans aren't living in fear. And when I read such claims from non-Americans, I think 'there's an uninformed person' or 'there's a person buying into the media hype' or 'there's a person who for some reason needs to think things are oh-so-bad for Americans.'

Profiling needs to be done. Plain and simple. Behavior profiling can be effective. If the terrorists really are Muslims, then screen Muslims. But that is not done in the name of discrimination. So guess what, you and your family get the pat downs as well. None of this makes any sense to me.

There have been problems with airlines other than terrorists. It's for over-all protection.

The scanners are eventually getting fully deployed in Canada. I will not step through any of these X-ray machines. I will simply refuse to fly (not like I do anyways). Again check out youtube for many videos of this type of stuff.

I don't have to check out youtube. I do fly. Everyone in my family flies. Fact is, none of us has ever had a problem with security requirements. No one has ever felt as if their freedoms were being infringed upon. Fact is, it's impossible to make everyone happy. There's always going to be someone making noise no matter what is done, and when the media magnifies it, the result is a great distortion of reality.

It is an X-ray machine. Per scan, the dose may not be that much, but for frequent fliers, each scan is cumulative. Over time people will develop problems from these scanners.

I doubt if you're qualified to make that determination.

But really, people need to think about this really hard. Is this all for security? Does it actually prevent terrorist attacks on planes? You have a more probable chance of dying by lightning than you do dying in a plane crash, let alone a plane crash/explosion caused by terrorism. If you look at the frequency in which terror attacks are taking place. They are not.

Perhaps the frequency in which terror attacks are taking place is proof that security measures are working. Had todays' security measures been in place on 9-11, history would have been much different.

Security theater is just that, a show to make things look like they are more safe.

Yet security measures have prevented potential dangers. That's a fact.

Edited by American Woman

Yeah you two railroaded me into that, but overall my points still stand.

No you railroaded yourself...it is part of the same train of thought that you say doen't exist, that rights are being vi9olated. Now quickly, explian how in the 60s, the right to bear arms was taken away and there has been no successful legal challenge....the answer will no doubt vibrate off the answer why airport security is not violating anyone's rights with a pat down.

No you railroaded yourself...it is part of the same train of thought that you say doen't exist, that rights are being vi9olated. Now quickly, explian how in the 60s, the right to bear arms was taken away and there has been no successful legal challenge....the answer will no doubt vibrate off the answer why airport security is not violating anyone's rights with a pat down.

No you railroaded me, it's just your kind of 'gotcha' style. My other points still stand.

No kidding, the main reason is that the system will go broke trying to pin down every single last thing the next security bureaucrat dreams up to be paranoid about.

I'd like to think at some point the cost of assuaging our fears will overshadow the benefits of creating them in the first place but, oh well...drive it till it breaks I guess.

The media likes to sell, so just about everything these days is hyped up, and you're buying into the media frenzy./

Correct, the media loves to sell, that is what they do. Your MSM news is the same way, it's the reason Lohan gets front page news, but real important issues like this are second/third page material. Again, I knew it was going to be a big story on the MSM before it was a big story on MSM. As much as people loath DrudgeReport and the like, that site was key in bringing the issue to light and getting the MSM attention, otherwise, if no one made a stink about it, then we would not be talking about this.

Americans aren't losing their freedoms. Americans aren't living in fear. And when I read such claims from non-Americans, I think 'there's an uninformed person' or 'there's a person buying into the media hype' or 'there's a person who for some reason needs to think things are oh-so-bad for Americans.'

There is a fear. I recall the thread with the ground zero mosque. Plenty of fear related to that. The purpose of all this was to protect you from terrorism, but it won't protect you from terrorism.

There have been problems with airlines other than terrorists. It's for over-all protection.

Does the pat down of the 80 year old lady in a wheelchair provide you with over-all protection? What is reasonable about that?

Perhaps the frequency in which terror attacks are taking place is proof that security measures are working. Had todays' security measures been in place on 9-11, history would have been much different.

What was the frequency of terror attacks on planes before 9/11? What is the frequency now?

Yet security measures have prevented potential dangers. That's a fact.

You face more real danger on your drive into work every day, and has nothing to do with terrorism.

Does the pat down of the 80 year old lady in a wheelchair provide you with over-all protection? What is reasonable about that?

It rules out the possibility of Akbar and Jeff loading Tatah with something nasty and hoping her age will let it slip by.