Any scotch drinkers?

I like scotch but it doesn't like me. Have tried some of the finer ones, like Glenfiddich and Glenlivet. Also recently tried some Irish whiskey- Jameson- it really doesn't like me! ;)

I like the livet, the fiddich I find a little rough.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way,eyeball,you can start a thread for potheads where you and your friends can talk about all the cool weed you puff and compare diferent types...

I promise,I won't troll it like you've done here...

You won't drop by and share a little laugh now and then?

Sorry, I didn't realize your little club was so exclusive. You figure you're better than everyone else or something?

Edited by eyeball

I know nothing of Scotch but have a dream of being able to discern differences and impressing my peers.

One day not too long ago, I was in a upscale bar. The waitress asked for my order and I decided that now was the time

to start learning.

"Give me the very worst scotch you have. The absolute swill."

"Really?"

"Yes, really, the foulest in the place if you please"

"oookay"

When she returned I asked "and what is this?"

"Johnny Walker Red" she said.

I knocked it back. It smelled like rubbing alcohol and burnt my throat on the way down.

"Another?" she asked

"No thank-you, that was quite enough of that. Now I would like the very best you have, from the bottle with all the dust on it"

"Are you sure? its very expensive"

"Positive. I need to see if there is a difference"

"ooookay"

"and this?" I asked when she returned.

"Johnny Walker Black"

"You're joking!?"

"nope. best in the house and just cost you 45 dollars"

"oookay"

I knocked that one back. World of difference! Much smoother. Far less rubbing alchohol.

I've since been told that I got ripped off. But that is was not the point.

Do you mean Bourbon to Scotch, or Rye to Scotch

Whiskey encompasses all.

Indeed. I'm a whiskey whore. I love trying every kind I can find. As blasphemous as it might seem to scotch-snobs, I actually think that many Canadian and Irish whiskeys are better. There's a smoother almost caramel and vanilla type flavour to them that you don't find in Scotch. I keep a bottle of Glenlivet 18 on hand, but I'd much rather have a Jamesons or a Wisers. I had a excellent whiskey from Spain when I was in Cuba in February, wish I could remember the name (it wasn't DYC).

Indeed. I'm a whiskey whore. I love trying every kind I can find. As blasphemous as it might seem to scotch-snobs, I actually think that many Canadian and Irish whiskeys are better. There's a smoother almost caramel and vanilla type flavour to them that you don't find in Scotch. I keep a bottle of Glenlivet 18 on hand, but I'd much rather have a Jamesons or a Wisers. I had a excellent whiskey from Spain when I was in Cuba in February, wish I could remember the name (it wasn't DYC).

I depends, as you most likely know, which area the Scotch is from... A lot of the Whiskys from the Highland and Lowland regions have those qualities.

Frankly,I find alot of Canadian whiskey to be like whiskey flavoured vodka...

Many are just kinda "meh"...Oddly enough,I've heared the very cheap Schenely OFC is very good!I haven't bought a bottle yet because,if it was crapola,I don't want to lose a 750...

If you want caramel and vanilla and not spend alot of money,check out Jim Beam Black...If you want to spend alot of money (and something that packs a 100 proof wallop) check out Old Forrester Signature....

Hey Kimmy...

I finally got a bottle of Buffalo Trace last week and opened it up tonight...

Cost me $39.95 at 90 proof...It's about the same price as Bulleit at the same proof...

This is pretty good stuff.It's flavour is similar to Woodford Reserve.It has a nice mingling of corn,caramel on the front end that fades to an oaky dryness on the finish that has a lingering prickly heat....

I'm assuming the spicey heat is from the rye in the mashbill?

Also,there was no age statement on the label..I'm assuming it's at least 6 years old...

It does have some complexity,however,I think it might be a bit overpriced.You can get many of these same qualities in Jim Beam Black (a 6 year old 86 proofer)for less than $30...

To be labeled "straight" bourbon, I think the requirement is 5 years of aging. So I would suspect Buffalo Trace is probably aged 5 years, because if they aged it longer they'd probably brag about it. I hope you enjoyed it. I always feel guilty if somebody buys something because I raved about it and then doesn't like it.

I will keep an eye out for the Jim Beam Black. Thanks for the tip!

-k

To be labeled "straight" bourbon, I think the requirement is 5 years of aging. So I would suspect Buffalo Trace is probably aged 5 years, because if they aged it longer they'd probably brag about it. I hope you enjoyed it. I always feel guilty if somebody buys something because I raved about it and then doesn't like it.

I will keep an eye out for the Jim Beam Black. Thanks for the tip!

-k

Bourbon has to be aged two years (by law) to be called straight...

But I'm thinking that Buffalo Trace has to be a 5 to 6 year bourbon...It's in that price range...I find it very similar to another bourbon that's pretty good...Bulleit Frontier Whiskey...

Edited by Jack Weber

Indeed. I'm a whiskey whore. I love trying every kind I can find. As blasphemous as it might seem to scotch-snobs, I actually think that many Canadian and Irish whiskeys are better. There's a smoother almost caramel and vanilla type flavour to them that you don't find in Scotch.

I agree. A lot of the fancier Scotches tend to have too much peat or smoke for my liking. That caramel/vanilla flavor is what attracted me to Irish whiskey. Redbreast is nice stuff if you feel like splurging, but for a nice Irish whiskey at a reasonable price Tullamore Dew is my standby.

-k

Bourbon has to be aged two years (by law) to be called straight...

But I'm thinking that Buffalo Trace has to be a 5 to 6 year bourbon...It's in that price range...I find it very similar to another bourbon that's pretty good...Bulleit Frontier Whiskey...

I went to the Buffalo Trace website, and it says 8 years.

-k

{you can also be friends with Buffalo Trace on Facebook! :huh: }

Edited by kimmy

Yeah. I like the 18 better. It's a lot smoother, so you notice the smokiness a little more on the palate.

We had Highland Parks Master Distiller Max McFarlane present a collection a couple years ago at a Quaich dinner. IIRC there were 4-5 offerings presented, this was of course before HP was available at the LCBO. I found the 15 nicer than the 18 for some reason, my have been the dinner that was served with it (can't recall what it was) or perhaps even the order in which they were presented or it may have been completely subjective. Anyway, point being that it's nice to be able to try different whiskys at the same time, gives a better representation of what their strengths and nuances are. If only money weren't an issue!

Is it too early for a dram?

I agree. A lot of the fancier Scotches tend to have too much peat or smoke for my liking. That caramel/vanilla flavor is what attracted me to Irish whiskey. Redbreast is nice stuff if you feel like splurging, but for a nice Irish whiskey at a reasonable price Tullamore Dew is my standby.

-k

For scotch... Peaty or smokey whiskys (almost always Islay Whiskys) are that way because of where the water comes from and flows through and whats used to fire the kilns, if you try a Highland whisky you'll get a heathery whisky or a salty tasting from the Island distillerys. Each region of the 6 have distinct tastes and tones.

• 3 weeks later...