Build more prisons now!

Mr.Canada

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly... So consider the analogy I presented in my post...

Theres three kinds of people who favor maintaining our existing failed policies.

1. The uninformed, and those naturally presdisposed to not questioning "conventional wisdom".

2. Lawyers (and others that make money from the legal industry.

3. Criminals.

EVERYBODY that supports prohibition falls under one of those three categories. EVERY SINGLE PERSON.

Oops... i forgot to provide a link for my stats about portugal.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html

You forgot, 4. People whose family members are cops. I believe Wilbur falls into this category.

You forgot, 4. People whose family members are cops. I believe Wilbur falls into this category.

You assume that all cops and their families favour all the present policies. Not so, it is more like skepticism regarding many of the claims made by those who like to use drugs. They like to go on about the evils of legal drugs (many of them true) then maintain that their drug of choice would not present any problems if only it were legalized.

Bottom line is, if you commit crimes to support your addiction, you are a criminal regardless of the legality of the drug you are using.

You assume that all cops and their families favour all the present policies. Not so, it is more like skepticism regarding many of the claims made by those who like to use drugs. They like to go on about the evils of legal drugs (many of them true) then maintain that their drug of choice would not present any problems if only it were legalized.

Bottom line is, if you commit crimes to support your addiction, you are a criminal regardless of the legality of the drug you are using.

True, but little if any good at all is coming out of making it a crime to use drugs you don't approve of. I don't recall anyone maintaining there wouldn't be any problems if all drugs were legalized, but there is plenty of reason to believe ending prohibition would reduce and eliminate most of the very worst problems.

Lots of cops and their families are also increasingly sceptical of prohibition.

It is ironic however that the state sells the one drug that actually creates criminals. It completely and utterly demolishes whatever message or point the state is trying to make.

Edited by eyeball

I think we Canada has a huge debt and deficit, now it NOT the time to build new prison until a study is done to see why people on in prison. Minor reasons for being, may be able to have those people stay at home with the ankle bracelet. It cost about 75,000-100,000 yearly for one prisoner, so this would reduce that expense. People who kill other people...bring back the death penalty, this will reduce prison population and it may stop other people from going to prison. I also, think non-violent prisoners, should have to join the military and spend 5 years. IN others words, make people really pause before they break the law and what will happen if they do.

True, but little if any good at all is coming out of making it a crime to use drugs you don't approve of. I don't recall anyone maintaining there wouldn't be any problems if all drugs were legalized, but there is plenty of reason to believe ending prohibition would reduce and eliminate most of the very worst problems.

Lots of cops and their families are also increasingly sceptical of prohibition.

It is ironic however that the state sells the one drug that actually creates criminals. It completely and utterly demolishes whatever message or point the state is trying to make.

Cops don't make the laws. It is their job to enforce them and we expect them to do their job. The have to do the best they can with the laws we give them. All drugs create criminals. Impaired is impaired.

I think we Canada has a huge debt and deficit, now it NOT the time to build new prison until a study is done to see why people on in prison. Minor reasons for being, may be able to have those people stay at home with the ankle bracelet. It cost about 75,000-100,000 yearly for one prisoner, so this would reduce that expense. People who kill other people...bring back the death penalty, this will reduce prison population and it may stop other people from going to prison. I also, think non-violent prisoners, should have to join the military and spend 5 years. IN others words, make people really pause before they break the law and what will happen if they do.

People are in prison because they victimize other people. The idea of the death penalty to reduce prison population is ridiculous. It is almost impossible to get a conviction for first degree murder as it is. Bring back the death penalty and you would never get a conviction. Why do you want to saddle the military with people you can't trust? It is a occupation where a persons life depends on being able to trust their fellows. I think such attitudes are a good indicator of what people really think about their military.

The idea that pot smokers are being victimized is nonsense. People are never charged for using it. People smoke dope in places where they couldn't get away with smoking tobacco or drinking alcohol. The penalties for driving stoned are less severe than for driving with a blood alcohol content of .05 in BC and the average number of convictions for operating a grow before jail time is served is ten. I doubt you could get away with running a still and selling booze for that long before going to jail. They should be careful what they ask for.

Edited by Wilber

The International Olympic Committee is concerned that pot could give athletes an advantage. In California it's prescribed to treat morning sickness.

I'd like someone to show how a drug that encourages you to eat like a pig, distorts time and depth perception will give the user an advantage in sports...any athlete that can win an event high on mj deserves two gold medals...

I'd like someone to show how a drug that encourages you to eat like a pig, distorts time and depth perception will give the user an advantage in sports...any athlete that can win an event high on mj deserves two gold medals...

like Ross Rebegliatti? There are many instances where pot CAN increase your performance. The time distortion you feel is a sort of slowing down of time,(at least perception of it) which can allow you more time to react. I know a lot of people that can perform better at fast paced video games or quick reation time games like table tennis, after smoking a joint. Is this true for everyone? of course not, but don't assume that just because alcohol impairs people that other drugs also must only impair.

Cops don't make the laws. It is their job to enforce them and we expect them to do their job. The have to do the best they can with the laws we give them. All drugs create criminals. Impaired is impaired.

Cops don't make the laws but they sure as hell lobby the government constantly for more power, and for more laws. It's like a make work project for them that guarantees continued employment. All drugs create criminals??? really? Tell me how cofee creates criminals. Drugs don't create criminals any more than guns murder people.

I totally agree with this statement as long as the "crime" is a real crime like theft or assault. Imaginary crimes like purchasing a product you want from somebody who wants to sell it doesn't qualify as a crime.

I totally agree with this statement as long as the "crime" is a real crime like theft or assault. Imaginary crimes like purchasing a product you want from somebody who wants to sell it doesn't qualify as a crime.

But the subject here is building more prisons. Yes they are imaginary cases. People don't go to prison for buying and using small quantities of pot for their own use. You know that very well.

But the subject here is building more prisons. Yes they are imaginary cases. People don't go to prison for buying and using small quantities of pot for their own use. You know that very well.

People do get criminal records, house arrest , fines and probation for it every day. Also if it is no big deal that people buy and use small quantities why criminalize the production and sales? That makes no sense at all. supply and demand. All those small quantities have to come from somewhere, why guarantee that all those profits go directly to the black market?

like Ross Rebegliatti? There are many instances where pot CAN increase your performance. The time distortion you feel is a sort of slowing down of time,(at least perception of it) which can allow you more time to react. I know a lot of people that can perform better at fast paced video games or quick reation time games like table tennis, after smoking a joint. Is this true for everyone? of course not, but don't assume that just because alcohol impairs people that other drugs also must only impair.

I know several people that can do much better at golf after a few beers. And I'm one. The problem is keeping the balance between staying loose and going limp. :)

The idea that pot smokers are being victimized is nonsense.

I have friends who have been victimized, it isn't nonsense, as little as 3 weeks ago too.

People don't go to prison for buying and using small quantities of pot for their own use.

Why should dealer go to jail.

Why should we tie up the court system with these cases. Why should we be using police resources on this matter.

I know several people that can do much better at golf after a few beers. And I'm one. The problem is keeping the balance between staying loose and going limp. :)

I'm much better at pool after 2 or 3 beers, but then again pool and golf don't really require fast reaction time. A little bit of relaxed nerves can be beneficial though.

I have friends who have been victimized, it isn't nonsense, as little as 3 weeks ago too.

Why should dealer go to jail.

Why should we tie up the court system with these cases. Why should we be using police resources on this matter.

A friend of mine got a year of probation, 100 hours of community service, and a criminal record over 2 roaches a cop found in his hockey bag in the trunk of his car. He allowed the cop to search his car not even realizing the two old stale roaches were in there.

A friend of mine got a year of probation, 100 hours of community service, and a criminal record over 2 roaches a cop found in his hockey bag in the trunk of his car. He allowed the cop to search his car not even realizing the two old stale roaches were in there.

And now he can't travel to the states. Two of my friends, at different times years ago before 9-11 did a spur of the moment decision to fly to Vegas with their girlfriends. In Calgary, you pass through US customs at the airport before departure. The girlfriends were denied entry into the US because they had an impaired driving conviction. That's classed as a felony as is pot possession. Not a life-ender but not good. So get rid of our stupid laws.

Great logic here...I wanna buy some automatic weapons, grenades, nuclear warheads, radiological materials, conflict diamonds, genuine ivory tusks, fake handbags, and some bush meat!