Younger Generation worried

Canadians born after 1966 are worried us, babyboomers are going to put pressure on the healthcare systems across this country and they will ended pay for it. Does every generation goes through this? What should be do, kill everyone after the age of 80? Or do we have everyone that CAN afford it pay for their own? Do we reward Canadians who keep themselves healthy and fit on their income taxes? Anyone with a solution? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/survey-finds-most-fear-boomers-will-cripple-health-care-system/article1681662/

Canadians born after 1966 are worried us, babyboomers are going to put pressure on the healthcare systems across this country and they will ended pay for it. Does every generation goes through this? What should be do, kill everyone after the age of 80? Or do we have everyone that CAN afford it pay for their own? Do we reward Canadians who keep themselves healthy and fit on their income taxes? Anyone with a solution? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/survey-finds-most-fear-boomers-will-cripple-health-care-system/article1681662/

This is a problem face by most western nations. Common solutions to it are raising the retirement age and freezing or cutting social security benefits.

But in Canada the most important step we could take is to end medical protectionism in order to drive down prices in the medical services industry. Iv introduced a couple of different ways to do this, one would involve making it very easy for doctors and other health professionals to immigrate here and set up shop. The other is to move patients to other countries for major operations.

I'm not sure that Topaz's option to kill everyone over 80 would go over very well with the seniors. Keep in mind that they vote in high numbers.

Why 80, why not 30 like in Logan's Run? Keep the Younger Generation as the ONLY generation and voila! problems solved. It was also take care of overpopulation, pollution, global warming, overfishing and ecological extinction and it would also settle which decade had the best music!

Your Lifelock is black Hardner, off to the Carousel you go...

Why 80, why not 30 like in Logan's Run? Keep the Younger Generation as the ONLY generation and voila! problems solved. It was also take care of overpopulation, pollution, global warming, overfishing and ecological extinction and it would also settle which decade had the best music!

Your Lifelock is black Hardner, off to the Carousel you go...

I sleep with goat placenta on my face so I am forever young.

Edited by Michael Hardner

The retirement age will naturally have to increase. People are living ever longer and healthier lives and life expectancies will only continue to increase as medical technology continues to advance. I'm a member of the "younger generation" and I don't expect to retire til I'm well past 100, and am fine with that...

Edited by Bonam

The retirement age will naturally have to increase. People are living ever longer and healthier lives and life expectancies will only continue to increase as medical technology continues to advance. I'm a member of the "younger generation" and I don't expect to retire til I'm well past 100, and am fine with that...

In the alternative, we could just increase the immigration rate. Having more people here to spread the burden can head off a potential disaster.

What about the two-tiered system, with checks and balances. Families, who's income is well over 250,000, pay their own way to private clinic where the doctors only work there and not in the public system. This way no DRs are taken away from the public system.Perhaps have more specialty hospitals like for cancer, heart, etc. This is a real tough problem, but I like to see how much waste there are in hopitals. I like to hear from the nurses and the doctors how they would go about it.

Everyone should be worried, and everyone will be f'ed when the poop really starts to hit the fan. I'll be paying crazy taxes for my boomer parents to receive health care. I won't be able to find a long-term care facility space for my 'rents if they so need it, and there wont be any hospital beds for grabs so my ailing and elderly parents will be living with my as i care for them.

My 'rents will be screwed out of their pension, or i will be paying insane taxes to cover it. Overall, the health care of my 'rents will be of low quality. On top of everything, there will be cutbacks to a myriad of services and/or massive debt incurred to try to pay for this mess.

Who do i blame? My parents' generation for not preparing properly for this long-predicted crisis.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

In the alternative, we could just increase the immigration rate. Having more people here to spread the burden can head off a potential disaster.

That's like using a credit card to make a payment on another credit card.

Only if their life expectancy is around 59

Exactly.

The common sense solution is to raise the retirement age for people say 40 and under. People are living much longer. And 65 today is nothing like being 65 thirty years ago.

Everyone should be worried, and everyone will be f'ed when the poop really starts to hit the fan. I'll be paying crazy taxes for my boomer parents to receive health care. I won't be able to find a long-term care facility space for my 'rents if they so need it, and there wont be any hospital beds for grabs so my ailing and elderly parents will be living with my as i care for them.

My 'rents will be screwed out of their pension, or i will be paying insane taxes to cover it. Overall, the health care of my 'rents will be of low quality. On top of everything, there will be cutbacks to a myriad of services and/or massive debt incurred to try to pay for this mess.

Who do i blame? My parents' generation for not preparing properly for this long-predicted crisis.

The sky is falling.

What I think will happen is this...

As the problem becomes more apparent as we get closer to realizing it...it will become a major political issue.

All the parties will have basically the same thing to say on how to fix it...they will end up raising taxes until they ruin the economy(liberals) or their core supporters get too angry(conservatives)...and then they'll flip flop and introduce a two tier system (and at the same time screw the people who elected them and say they made the hard choice because they had too).

If they were smart they'd do a lot of things now to ease the burden...things like...

-ditch OHIP (I'm only talking ONtario here...although I suppose any province could do this)

-introduce 2 tier health care

-make it easier for Dr's and nurses to set up shop in this province.

-get US-style insurance.

-set up Medical Savings Accounts for people to contribute to their own health care and make it tax deductable like RRSP's.

Gov't could do so much now...but they won't for fear of an electoral backlash. Nobody wants to touch this hot potatoe and we're all going to pay the price in the end.

What I think will happen is this...

As the problem becomes more apparent as we get closer to realizing it...it will become a major political issue.

All the parties will have basically the same thing to say on how to fix it...they will end up raising taxes until they ruin the economy(liberals) or their core supporters get too angry(conservatives)...and then they'll flip flop and introduce a two tier system (and at the same time screw the people who elected them and say they made the hard choice because they had too).

If they were smart they'd do a lot of things now to ease the burden...things like...

-ditch OHIP (I'm only talking ONtario here...although I suppose any province could do this)

-introduce 2 tier health care

-make it easier for Dr's and nurses to set up shop in this province.

-get US-style insurance.

-set up Medical Savings Accounts for people to contribute to their own health care and make it tax deductable like RRSP's.

Gov't could do so much now...but they won't for fear of an electoral backlash. Nobody wants to touch this hot potatoe and we're all going to pay the price in the end.

Nice user name. I take it you are a fan of Ayn Rand. Good suggestions on changes to health care.

Younger generations are going to get screwed either way. With a longer time before retirement, there is going to be a longer time for the good jobs to open up.

Man it's like you guys live in some kind of static world where you have to wait for people to die before you can get a spot in society. New jobs are created, new houses are built, new technologies are developed. A huge chunk of jobs today, among them almost anything to do with software, information technology, internet, computers, telecommunications, did not exist 30 years ago. Did we have to wait for people to retire to get those jobs? No. These jobs were created through innovation and economic growth. These will continue to be driving factors of our economy in the future. 30 years from now, many people will be employed in jobs and companies that do not exist today and cannot even be foreseen or imagined today.

These jobs were created through innovation and economic growth.

Actually these jobs were created as a result of immigration and exportation - both of which are unsustainable in their current forms. Increase the market and jobs and technology will naturally follow.

The Problem: Not only is the workforce going to shrink, but the quality of jobs is shrinking as well. 130,000 jobs lost last month and only 126,000 part-time jobs created. That is a trend.

Governments, of all parties need to be more careful spending tax dollars. Health care is very expensive, no question. Why should someone be allowed to move to Canada, become a Canadian citizen, move back to their country of origin, and receive Canadian benefits despite the fact that they are no longer living in Canada. how many tax dollars are spent supporting Canadians -of-Convenience in other countries? This is just one small example of how tax dollars are wasted; tax dollars that could be put to much better use.

Actually it isn't a trend. The trend was jobs gained each month for several months. July was an outlier. Now if August is the same, then maybe you can call it a trend.

Actually this pattern has been going on for a couple of years. The more recent recession simply accelerated it.

Full-time jobs have been on the decline for a number of years.