Aid To Pakistan

betsy

Aid to flood ravaged Pakistan trickles so slowly. The voluntary aid is dismal in comparison to world reaction towards Haiti which garnered millions in the first week.

News reports had cited several possible reasons why the world is so slow to respond, CBC Evan Solomon quoted UN in giving the growing "anti-Muslim sentiment out there" as a reason.

I tend to think that that is one of the real reasons why. Pakistan has been prominent in the news relating to Afghan war, Taliban insurgents and anti-Western protests besides, there are numerous other nations in the planet that need help.

Edited by betsy

I think it would be more informative to compare donation for the Pakistan floods to those of Hurricane Katrina in the US. Unlike Haiti, Pakistan is a " player " in the world, thus it may seem that they ought to be able to take care of their own problems to a greater degree, despite most of the country being dirt poor.

Aid to flood ravaged Pakistan trickles so slowly. The voluntary aid is dismal in comparison to world reaction towards Haiti which garnered millions in the first week.

News reports had cited several possible reasons why the world is so slow to respond, CBC Evan Solomon quoted UN in giving the growing "anti-Muslim sentiment out there" as a reason.

I tend to think that that is one of the real reasons why. Pakistan has been prominent in the news relating to Afghan war, Taliban insurgents and anti-Western protests besides, there are numerous other nations in the planet that need help.

we need to do something NOW!

I wish I could kick the fascist conservatives out to replace them with a sensible humanitarian party, the best we can do is the NDP... but seriously in cases like these, there should be a tax fund set up in canada to assist Pakistan.

Imagine how much good we could do if say just 1% of all canadian incomes went to pakistan...

first step towards such a jsut society however, is getting rid of all the racists in this country, and bringing in as many immigrants (who understand the plight of people in poor underprivileged countries)... once we have the right attitude, well be able to build a better more just world.

Perhaps the reason that funds to Pakistan are flower slower than funds to Haiti is that the flood does not seem as devasting as tthe earthquake was to Haiti.

"Total confirmed death toll is 1475 and 2052 people were wounded, and 970,520 houses were damaged. These numbers may change on the higher side as the flood water recedes and damage assessment begins."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/aid-flows-into-floodravaged-pakistan-20100819-12fd3.html

April 21 "marked the 100th day since the devastating earthquake that struck Haiti, leaving between 250,000 and 300,000 people dead," said Edmond Mulet, the head of the UN mission in Haiti.

Mr Mulet also said that 300,000 people were wounded in the disaster, and more than one million people were left homeless.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/haiti/7621756/Haitis-earthquake-death-toll-revised-to-at-least-250000.html

M.Dancer

There was a lot of death in Haiti, you need to focus on getting aid to the survivors, but there are a great deal who are dead and don't need anything anymore. Pakistan might be worse in the way that there are few deaths but plenty of now homeless/hungry Pakistanis who need aid.

The ratio of survivors needing aid might be higher in Pakistan. Once the waters recede then a better analysis of the situation will be made.

M.Dancer

There was a lot of death in Haiti, you need to focus on getting aid to the survivors, but there are a great deal who are dead and don't need anything anymore. Pakistan might be worse in the way that there are few deaths but plenty of now homeless/hungry Pakistanis who need aid.

The ratio of survivors needing aid might be higher in Pakistan. Once the waters recede then a better analysis of the situation will be made.

The ratio is less than Haiti. Upwards to 1475 killed 650,000 homeless out of 170 million...

In haiti out of a population of 9 million, 250,000 killed, one million homeless.

M.Dancer

thank you ghosthacked,

but don't expect m.dancer the bigott to get a clue... his hatred of "brownies" is probably what is behind his lack of compassion.

thank you ghosthacked,

but don't expect m.dancer the bigott to get a clue... his hatred of "brownies" is probably what is behind his lack of compassion.

I commend your ability to use the Internet despite what must be a significant mental handicap.

The ratio is less than Haiti. Upwards to 1475 killed 650,000 homeless out of 170 million...

In haiti out of a population of 9 million, 250,000 killed, one million homeless.

I'd contest this. The article you state that over 900,000 homes have been damaged. Damaged to the point where they are not habitable? That would mean a lot more than 650,000 homeless would it not?

I'd contest this. The article you state that over 900,000 homes have been damaged. Damaged to the point where they are not habitable? That would mean a lot more than 650,000 homeless would it not?

I misread the article, it didn't say 650,000, it said 650,000 families...

Ah, yeah that brings up the number to over a million easy.

Considering that it's Pakistan we're talking about and not Canada, probably to several million. People have many children in those parts of the world, and also often live with members of their extended families (grandparents, etc) in their homes.

Considering that it's Pakistan we're talking about and not Canada, probably to several million. People have many children in those parts of the world, and also often live with members of their extended families (grandparents, etc) in their homes.

Indeed according to CNN the latest is about 4 mill.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/08/19/pakistan.floods/index.html?hpt=T2

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- Floods in Pakistan have left more than 4 million people homeless, the United Nations said Thursday, as the U.S. plans to announce more funds for relief efforts.

----

About a fifth of the country is submerged by floodwaters, and the threat of water-borne diseases such as cholera is a serious concern as families wade through chest-high, filthy water.

You demonstrate an obsession with brown people. Why is that?

Ratio's obssession is either with rage...or a pretence to rage. We still haven't determined if he or she is a sock puppet, a la our fake "radical Muslim" friend...or someone so loony-lefty that I look like Pinochet in comparison.....

Edited by bloodyminded

I think if there was evidence that places like Haiti or Afghanistan were getting back on their feet that people might feel more motivated to believe there's reason to think things will improve in the sorts of places where dysfunction and chaos largely reign.

there are numerous other nations in the planet that need help

That's probably the biggest factor right there - it seems hopeless.

That's probably the biggest factor right there - it seems hopeless.

Plus what with our economic hardships....most individuals have limited funds to spare.

Apparently a lot of poeple state their preference where the money they are giving should go. I remember humanitarian organization (I think it was World Vision) asking people not to specify "Haiti" anymore. The organization wanted to be able to direct the funds where they are urgently needed.

I wish I could kick the fascist conservatives out to replace them with a sensible humanitarian party, the best we can do is the NDP... but seriously in cases like these, there should be a tax fund set up in canada to assist Pakistan.

Imagine how much good we could do if say just 1% of all canadian incomes went to pakistan...

first step towards such a jsut society however, is getting rid of all the racists in this country, and bringing in as many immigrants (who understand the plight of people in poor underprivileged countries)... once we have the right attitude, well be able to build a better more just world.

Racism? Do you even understand the word? The most racist man I ever met was a Hindu! It's hardly a white man only disease, you know!

As for 1% of our incomes going to Pakistan, again you demonstrate an incredibly shallow view of that country! Perhaps the reason people give more to Haiti is that Haiti spends foreign aid money on their people, whereas Pakistan used much of it to afford to develop nuclear weapons!

Any country that would rather build nukes than feed its people doesn't deserve our aid! How many dams to stop flooding would even ONE nuke warhead pay?!

Yeah, I know. It's all George Bush's fault...

Governments are helping....but the lack of response are from individuals. Where are the concerts by rock stars? Fundraising events by hollywood celebrities?

Understandably, it's hard to open one's wallet when you see the hate-protests aimed at you.

Unfortunately for them the generous mostly are from the west.

Edited by betsy