Obama mad at General McChrystal

I'm sure most people have heard about this story already. McChrystal bashing Obama and his admin again in a recent Rolling Stone interview.

If i were Obama, i would verbally tear into McChrystal behind closed doors and then fire him. Don't give him the dignity to "resign", boot his butt out the door and send a message for anyone else who wants to screw with the Commander In Chief . McChrystal is a General and yet has no respect for his superiors or the chain of command?

He should learn a thing or two from Colin Powell, the consummate "good soldier"...unfortunately even to a fault.

Yes, what the general did was certainly worth a firing, and apparently he'll be offering his resignation. This hurts Obama, however, and on top of the court decision to overturn his ban on off shore drilling(from a Louisiana court no less) he's taken a couple of blows today. I can't help but wonder how much better at the job he would have been with a good solid decade in the senate.

Yes, what the general did was certainly worth a firing, and apparently he'll be offering his resignation. This hurts Obama, however, and on top of the court decision to overturn his ban on off shore drilling(from a Louisiana court no less) he's taken a couple of blows today. I can't help but wonder how much better at the job he would have been with a good solid decade in the senate.

Since you brought up about the judge overrulling, turns out he has investments in oil and gas and in the oil rigs. I knew it, when I heard this because why wouold any judge turn down the ban and cause more problemhttp://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100623/world/us_gulf_oil_spills.

I can't help but wonder how much better at the job he would have been with a good solid decade in the senate.

You think that McChrystal would have shown the restraint and judgment of a professional, and that the Louisiana court would have ruled differently if only Obama had more experience? Wow. You're more out to lunch than I thought. :lol:

Yes...bad week for President Obama...on top of a bad month. I think Gen. McChrystal, a seasoned professional well aware of his obligations, made the remarks on purpose to continue a trend of open defiance over policy. If it was good enough for MacArthur, it's good enough for McChrystal. All commissioned officers serve at the pleasure of the president, and he must resign if he will not support administration policy for Afghanistan.

Either way, it's a lose-lose proposition for Obama as forces organize for the offensive in Khandahar.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I think Gen. McChrystal, a seasoned professional well aware of his obligations, made the remarks on purpose to continue a trend of open defiance over policy.

That would make sense if he said anything at all about policy. He and his aides just made a bunch of statements that didn't make much sense at all, like not knowing who Biden is, and whining that the president wasn't interested in "who he is." That Bud Lite with Lime will turn people into idiots every time.

That would make sense if he said anything at all about policy. He and his aides just made a bunch of statements that didn't make much sense at all, like not knowing who Biden is, and whining that the president wasn't interested in "who he is." That Bud Lite with Lime will turn people into idiots every time.

Don't be mislead by the drama or Team America jabs, as Gen. McChrystal and his staff have been critical of several things in the past, particularly the national security wonks. The 'pinheads' in Washington can make things more problematic in the field, and this episode just highlights existing strain. It's not even an Obama thing...other presidents have been faced with identical challenges. Let's see how President Kool handles it.

You think that McChrystal would have shown the restraint and judgment of a professional, and that the Louisiana court would have ruled differently if only Obama had more experience? Wow. You're more out to lunch than I thought. :lol:

Unlike you I expect that a seasoned Obama would have had the wisdom to, first of all, make better selections for those who provide counsel to him. There were several controversial picks, including Van Jones, who is a communist! An experienced Obama would have handled the oil spill and clean up in a much better way, and never would have banned drilling for 6 months in the first place, because sound counsel would have advised that although one could score cheap political points with it, a ban would be easily overturned.

Ditto with his performance in Afghanistan. Better people, sound counsel. It's really too bad Hilary Clinton didn't win the nomination, both for herself, the nation and Obama.

The Taliban must be laughing their asses off over this incident, and the prospect of a General being reomved from the battlefield over some inappropriate comments. This sounds a lot like the equivalent of Patton being removed from WWII because of slapping somebody.

The Taliban must be laughing their asses off over this incident, and the prospect of a General being reomved from the battlefield over some inappropriate comments. This sounds a lot like the equivalent of Patton being removed from WWII because of slapping somebody.

More than inappropriate comments though, he criticized command.

More than inappropriate comments though, he criticized command.

Correct...and more importantly...civilian command authority and delegations in a political context. America has a long history for these kind of incidents, and the expected outcome is clear. Seasoned flag officers do not make this kind of "mistake" without purpose. Whatever happens, he's certainly got Obama's attention.

Yah another Shady lie. Good thing anyone can read the article for themselves.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/119236

No, it's not a lie. And if anyone does read the article for themselves, they'd know that. For example, the quote about Biden and "bite me" was said by a staff member of McChrystal. But don't let facts get in the way of your rant. :rolleyes:

No, it's not a lie. And if anyone does read the article for themselves, they'd know that. For example, the quote about Biden and "bite me" was said by a staff member of McChrystal. But don't let facts get in the way of your rant. :rolleyes:

Yah Shady that is not the only quote in the 10 page article I know you didn't get past the part where McChrystal says he voted for Obama and you starting yelling about how is a Commie but maybe try reading it.

Truman was right to fire MacArthur and Obama is right to fire McChrystal.

The fact that McChrystal would countenance it is damning. I'm not sure where I stand on the sacking but McChrystal did not show proper respect for a head of state by agreeing to an interview or letting "staffers" speak.

I think so. I don't remember for sure but isn't Petraeus the one that finally brought about some progress in Iraq with the surge?

No, he brought about progress by actually making the terrorists US civil servants... putting them on the payroll. The surge just happened to coincide with that so people mistakenly give it all the credit (even though there was no troop increases in some of the regions where the most progress was). He DOES deserve a lot of credit though either way.

Yes...bad week for President Obama...on top of a bad month. I think Gen. McChrystal, a seasoned professional well aware of his obligations, made the remarks on purpose to continue a trend of open defiance over policy. If it was good enough for MacArthur, it's good enough for McChrystal. All commissioned officers serve at the pleasure of the president, and he must resign if he will not support administration policy for Afghanistan.

Why didn't he just resign this year or last year then? Why become an ass, disrespect the Prez and the admin, and make yourself look like a bad in the process?

I think if he didn't like the policy he should have just resigned. Did he think he was going to change policy?

Why didn't he just resign this year or last year then? Why become an ass, disrespect the Prez and the admin, and make yourself look like a bad in the process?

Because he was pissed, that's why. McChrystal is a very successful black ops, special forces guy who is not accustomed to the crap he was getting at this echelon, let alone having to play nice with the diplomatic corp. As for Joe Biden....please!

I think if he didn't like the policy he should have just resigned. Did he think he was going to change policy?

McChrystal is entitled to just as big an ego as Obama. He is not the first flag officer to lock horns with a president or administration's policies. These kind of guys can only keep up appearances for so long. Remember, McChrystal did not hide in the rear (e.g. Iraq). He chose to "die" on this hill.

Because he was pissed, that's why. McChrystal is a very successful black ops, special forces guy who is not accustomed to the crap he was getting at this echelon, let alone having to play nice with the diplomatic corp. As for Joe Biden....please!

Ya i read that's what he was doing before this. Apparently not much order-taking in that job, and without the politics as you said