Polish President Killed in Plane Crash

What you are seeing in Wilbur's links (Tu-154 vs. A-310) is the absence of a "glass cockpit" in the former.

I realize that. What I'm saying is that we don't know what this particular TU 154 had as it had just underwent an extensive overhaul involving avionics and engines among other things.

I realize that. What I'm saying is that we don't know what this particular TU 154 had as it had just underwent an extensive overhaul involving avionics and engines among other things.

If you are saying that any maintenance introduced the well known cause of overhaul error(s), then we are still back at the supporting organiztion(s) and procedures. If you mean that the Tu may have had a much more modern avionics suite (i.e. Tu-154M variant), that remains to be seen.

If you mean that the Tu may have had a much more modern avionics suite (i.e. Tu-154M variant), that remains to be seen.

What else would I have meant? That does remain to be seen, but I've also seen several stories now that say the aircraft was probably not to blame.

What else would I have meant? That does remain to be seen, but I've also seen several stories now that say the aircraft was probably not to blame.

Recent maintenance was your earlier point, regardless of the Tu variant. Maintenance is a good thing, but can also be a very, very bad thing if not performed competently.

Agreed, we have no idea what caused the hull loss at this time.

Recent maintenance was your earlier point, regardless of the Tu variant. Maintenance is a good thing, but can also be a very, very bad thing if not performed competently.

I was actually talking about what was basically described as a complete overhaul in which new avionics were installed.....which, you're right, can be very bad.

Edited by Smallc

I was actually talking about what was basically described as a complete overhaul in which new avionics were installed.....which, you're right, can be very bad.

It can be very bad. It could also be very good, but end up being bad anyways if the pilot ignores his instructions from Air Traffic Control. They told him to abort, the plane didn't. I guess the blackbox data will give the complete picture.

There are lots of variables and questions. What were the certified landing minima of the aircraft and it's crew? What were the navigation aids available at the time they were trying to land? Supposedly the aircraft was attempting its fourth approach. Had they backed themselves into a corner by doing so many approaches that they no longer had the fuel to go elsewhere? Was pressure from their high powered passengers a factor in their repeated attempts to land? Doing approaches down to minimums and going around is no big deal, if you don't have the required visual cues when you reach you decision height, you execute a missed approach. Happens many times a day in the world of aviation. The question is why did this approach go wrong. We will probably have to wait a while to get the answers.

There are lots of variables and questions. What were the certified landing minima of the aircraft and it's crew? What were the navigation aids available at the time they were trying to land?

I Googled some Chinese website, though most of posters said that Tu-154 didn't have Instrument Landing System, but there was a guy who seemed very familiar Tu-154 said the lastest variant Tu-154M had ILS. He also mentioned Smolensk's northern airport was a small military airport, might not have ILS support. He said if the airport had ILS, it would guide the plane descending to 50m, then the pilots should switch into manual control. He said the pilots might be too busy to find the runway in fog at the moment and might neglect the altitude of the plane for several seconds and it would be vital. If the airport doesn't have ILS, he said it woulb be impossible to a foreign pilot to land on an unfamiliar airport in a foggy day.

Was pressure from their high powered passengers a factor in their repeated attempts to land?

I suppose it was. The president was attending an historical memorial event which involved too many emotion between Poland and Russia(exactly Soviet) so he might not want to divert to Moscow just because of some fog.

• 5 years later...

Rats upstairs.

A politician with some rats upstairs is a great challenge. It's quite obvious that Jaroslaw Kaczynski isn't quite sane. And we can't say that all his freakish deeds are due wholly to the depression after his brother's death in the Smolensk disaster.

Btw during the medical examination of the dead body of Lech Kaczynski there were found some DNA deviations which could result in mental problems. The diagnosis FXS was just this. Sure thing this is also the case with Jaroslaw who can well do some quite unpredictable things at any moment! What I see as really scaring is the reaction of top officials close to him. They are doing as if Jaroslaw were absolutely sane.

link

link

link

link

link

https://medium.com/@SabineBoeddinghaus/poles-are-hiding-the-truth-about-mental-health-of-jaroslaw-kaczynski-42d502a995b5

Edited by Michael Hardner
links added

POWER vacumes are dangerous - keep an eye on Putin...cut throat opportunism lurks.

Yup, no proof it is Russia yet but let's all jump to conclusions and blame it on Putin. Every time the mainstream try to blame something on Putin, they lose because he is not behind anything. Just a bunch of American propaganda.

Remember when one politician's rapturous gaze into Putin's eyes was enough to put your minds at ease? If you think you're frightened now rest assured that was the day the seed of Islamic unification was planted.

Now it's being nourished with the spectacle of Super-Power Co-Dominium bombs falling on Shia and Sunni alike at the same time.

The message couldn't be clearer.

Edited by eyeball

• 2 weeks later...