Conservatives singing a different tune?

How can something be a national symbol when it's constantly changed to fit the mores of the times. I thought flags, anthems and such were there to provide unchanging standards for which we can aspire, not the pop song of each generation.
It's a little egocentric to think that women should aspire to be men and atheists should aspire to believe in God. National identity is constructed and changes over time. Why 'O Canada' instead of 'The Maple Leaf Forever'? Listen to the original lyrics to the latter and it's obviously and emphatically British imperialism. 'O Canada' was created and can be changed just the same if it doesn't fit with the ideals of our nation. I would say that excluding women in the lyrics doesn't fit with the ideals, wouldn't you?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised to hear that people have a sentimental attachment to the line

"True patriot love, In all thy sons command,"

because it's completely inane. What is that supposed to even mean?

-k

It means for instance, When a gorgeous woman walks by a group of young men, by her presence, she commands their attention.

Canada, being so wonderful, instills partiotic love in all her sons.

It's a little egocentric to think that women should aspire to be men and atheists should aspire to believe in God. National identity is constructed and changes over time. Why 'O Canada' instead of 'The Maple Leaf Forever'? Listen to the original lyrics to the latter and it's obviously and emphatically British imperialism. 'O Canada' was created and can be changed just the same if it doesn't fit with the ideals of our nation. I would say that excluding women in the lyrics doesn't fit with the ideals, wouldn't you?

I'm all for a change...I just don't want them to use the word dost.

Edited by Smallc

That doesn't sound nearly as good as current. They'd have to find something that flows nicer.

it's subjective..."thy sons" sounds corny to me.."of us" would work...take your favourite tune from the radio and look up it's lyrics, they're generally simple and repetitive and only sound good when sung with music...it's like that cliche about "singing the phone book", the words are often irrelevant...

It's actually my experience that many people say our son's, which sounds better than thy son's. I still think that all our heat's would be the way to go, but then, I'm not on the committee that will be making the choice.... :P

Uhm first of all Parlaiment was prorogued for 22 days.

No, Harper prorogued effective December 30, 2009. Parliament's first day back after prorogation was March 3, 2010.

You can argue that Parliament was going to be in recess anyways so add the extra days and prorogation was for 22 days but that is just a false and misleading talking point.

During a recess life in Parliament can go on: Committees can sit and do official business, the Senate can work. During prorogation none of this happens, or if it does, it is unofficial and does not count.

So, you can continue to parrot the lie or you can get with reality.

It means for instance, When a gorgeous woman walks by a group of young men, by her presence, she commands their attention.

Canada, being so wonderful, instills partiotic love in all her sons.

So "True patriot love, in all thy sons command" is supposed to read "True patriot love, in all thy sons, command" which actually means "Command true patriot love in all thy sons."

An imperative without proper punctuation, in Yoda-grammar, delivered.

-k