Great Tea Party Ad!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

I actually like Keith Olbermann. He can go overboard, but the left needs someone to counteract all those on the right who get away with even more. Michael Moore used to fill that slot, but then he went too overboard himself.

Keith Olbermann was bounced from ESPN years ago for being such a tool. He is right at home on MSNBC with like minded folks.

Olbermann - such a fine German name. Awh the glory days returning...pretty soon they are going to have speeches with a great iron eagle over layed on a cross in the background..why does it feel that the grand children of the old American Nazi party are attempting a come back?

Keith Olbermann was bounced from ESPN years ago for being such a tool. He is right at home on MSNBC with like minded folks.

Nice rewrite of history he left ESPN burning bridges along the way.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2005-06-13-olbermann-espn_x.htm

What is this Punked again calls someone on a lie AND POSTS A CITATION. Seems like a pattern is forming here among myself and the right wing members of the board.

Yeah, but making fun of Keith Olbermann is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel.

I agree. When I first started to watch Countdown, several years ago, I actually kind of liked it. But it slowly morphed into a very strange show. In which it now basically consists of a handful of guests who all agree with Keith, and Keith following the every action of Limbaugh, Beck, and O'Reilly. Apparently his ratings have dropped by a ton over the last year or so, and he may actually be out of a job relatively soon.

My first reaction was that a "Great Tea Party Ad" is probably a lot like a "Great Dealcoholized Beer" or a "Great Rice Cake". How great could it really be?

There IS an interesting question behind what Olbermann is asking. As punked points out, American blacks and Hispanic voters in great majority vote Democrat. And while Olbermann might have been wrong in claiming the "tea parties" are an entirely white phenomenon, it's probably not much of an exaggeration.

So ... why is there such an obvious racial divide? Is there anything inherently racist about the "tea parties" or Republican policies in general?

I'd suggest, no. It's not the policies and opinions themselves that have a racial attachment. I'd suggest that it's more like a hockey game. Minorities aren't excluded, per se, it's just that there's a perception that it's for white people, and minorities aren't interested.

-k

My first reaction was that a "Great Tea Party Ad" is probably a lot like a "Great Dealcoholized Beer" or a "Great Rice Cake". How great could it really be?

There IS an interesting question behind what Olbermann is asking. As punked points out, American blacks and Hispanic voters in great majority vote Democrat. And while Olbermann might have been wrong in claiming the "tea parties" are an entirely white phenomenon, it's probably not much of an exaggeration.

So ... why is there such an obvious racial divide? Is there anything inherently racist about the "tea parties" or Republican policies in general?

I'd suggest, no. It's not the policies and opinions themselves that have a racial attachment. I'd suggest that it's more like a hockey game. Minorities aren't excluded, per se, it's just that there's a perception that it's for white people, and minorities aren't interested.

-k

How about Tom Tancrado at the tea party convention calling for the US to bring back "Voting Literacy Tests" which stopped Blacks from voting for 100 years? Then everyone there cheering about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi7bpysGBYM

Seems pretty racist too me.

Edited by punked

How about Tom Tancrado at the tea party convention calling for the US to bring back "Voting Literacy Tests" which stopped Blacks from voting for 100 years? Then everyone there cheering about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi7bpysGBYM

Seems pretty racist too me.

Is the idea of a "voter literacy test" racist?

Or was the historical fact that it was only selectively applied?

If somebody proposed a "voter literacy test" that was to taken by every would-be voter, would that be racist?

-k

Is the idea of a "voter literacy test" racist?

Or was the historical fact that it was only selectively applied?

If somebody proposed a "voter literacy test" that was to taken by every would-be voter, would that be racist?

-k

Could easily be racist Kimmy and still applied to everyone.

The fact it has a history of being a way to exclude blacks from voting for 100 years might mean it has been tired and it failed.

Not only that but have fun changing the 19th amendment.

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."

Could easily be racist Kimmy and still applied to everyone.

The fact it has a history of being a way to exclude blacks from voting for 100 years might mean it has been tired and it failed.

Not only that but have fun changing the 19th amendment.

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."

If it's unconstitutional, it's unconstitutional. But it's mistaken to claim that the idea itself is racist, despite it having been used for racist purposes in the past.

-k

If it's unconstitutional, it's unconstitutional. But it's mistaken to claim that the idea itself is racist, despite it having been used for racist purposes in the past.

-k

The idea is rooted in the racist ideals of 50 years ago, yes no more then a whole generation ago this was still going on. Like it or not the practiced was ruined long ago and should never come back. It is simply a way for whatever ruling party there was at the time too weed out "types" of voters who wont vote for them. It is a terrible idea, and should never be defended.

The idea is rooted in the racist ideals of 50 years ago, yes no more then a whole generation ago this was still going on. Like it or not the practiced was ruined long ago and should never come back. It is simply a way for whatever ruling party there was at the time too weed out "types" of voters who wont vote for them. It is a terrible idea, and should never be defended.

What if the only "types" of voters it is intended to weed out is ones who don't know anything about the country or the constitution or the system of government? Personally, I think there's some merit to the idea that a voter should have at least a bare minimum of knowledge before they get to participate.

How does it make sense to say that an idea should be abandoned forever because it was used for dishonest purposes 50 years ago?

Contraception and abortion have been touted as means of reducing the birthrate of "undesirables" in the past. Does that mean contraception and abortion are tainted for all time and must be abandoned as well?

-k

Nice rewrite of history he left ESPN burning bridges along the way.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2005-06-13-olbermann-espn_x.htm

What is this Punked again calls someone on a lie AND POSTS A CITATION. Seems like a pattern is forming here among myself and the right wing members of the board.

Why does the dork keep getting all these juicy job chances? He's They must feel that he has something. He's sufficiently bland to fill the bill -- anchors have to be the kind of people you don't mind seeing, day after day ... they are the wallpaper of our lives ... and it takes a strange puss to compbine that blandness, along with gravitas. So far, I can see it ...

But then he opens his mouth , with all those sixty-five cent words of his ... It's like a Mercer rant without the humour, or the incisive insight, or ... actually, without any resemblance to the Truth. I'd love to see that Peter Lynch character, who was an anchor that had just had too much and urged people to lean out of their windows and shout " ... I'm not going to take it anymore ..." Wouldn't it be great to see him storm onto Olbermann's set, shoot him dead, and then turn the gun on himself ... It's be a ratings blockbuster.

-k

You don't understand Kimmy. That's their fallback position. If you say something that they disagree with, it's automatically framed as racist.

I can't help finding it funny that they called themselves "teabaggers" before anyone else thought to attribute that term to them.

:)

Actually, it was the "open-minded", "non-partisan", mainstream media that started using that epithet to describe them.

Actually, it was the "open-minded", "non-partisan", mainstream media that started using that epithet to describe them.

Really? I thought it was MSNBC. I think that most people would refrain from calling them open minded or non partisan.

No. A few people (not "the" mainstream media) ran with the obvious joke...after it was self-applied. It was self-applied at the onset of the send-teabags-to-the-government project.

No it wasn't self-applied. The only thing self-applied was the term Tea Party and Tea Partier.

And yes smallc, it was MSNBC and CNN that are primarily responsible.