Canadian Government Guilty of Violating Khadr's Rights

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Supreme court has finally ruled:

as is typical for you Simple... you miss the most salient point: the Harper Conservatives will now be forced to publicly state whether they will (finally) recognize... and act... on a declaration from the Supreme Court of Canada - that Khadr's rights as a citizen of Canada were violated - and continue to be violated (during the Harper tenure). Will the Harper Conservatives recognize the declaration and apply remedy in conformity with the Charter. Did you somehow interpret this Supreme Court ruling as a "win" for the Harper Conservatives???

Supreme Court won't force Ottawa to repatriate Khadr.

In a unanimous ruling Friday, the court said that Mr. Khadr's constitutional rights were violated, but concluded that it would intrude on the government power over foreign relations to force officials to ask the U.S. to send the accused terrorist home.

Link: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2499075

Omar Khadr should make us afraid to be Canadian if we go abroad or worse, are taken there against our will.

If the supreme court can't or won't control our government's foreign policies Canadians need to. Our military alliances clearly need to be put to a full public review and decisions to involve ourselves in any conflict outside our borders should be put to public referendum.

Canada has clearly lost its way. The reason our country is guilty of war crimes and violating the human and constitutional rights of our own citizens is because our democracy is in a complete shambles. If this disgraceful state of affairs stands I'll have no compunction whatsoever in doing everything in my power to help promote and provoke the separation and dissolution of confederation.

The federal government and our democratic institutions are a pile of shit. I'm no longer just ashamed to be Canadian I'm disgusted.

not sure how you would interpret that given the Supreme Court of Canada ruling? Do you have another point other than to re-emphasize the mighty influences of your namesake's over-hyped/faked terrorist threat levels?

No.....I just wonder why you are only concerned about Khadr's precious rights since Harper became PM. Either way, political games in Canada mean nothing until America is good and ready to be done with that terrorist bastard! :lol:

Either way, political games in Canada mean nothing until America is good and ready to be done with that terrorist bastard!

:lol:

Omar! Another beer for myself and my guests.

Right away Mr President; right away.

Edited by DogOnPorch

But not previous PM's...right? :lol:

Personally, I don't care which party is in government, so much as what rights are being violated.

Is Canada compelled to bail Omar out of a jam he got himself into, with parental approval?

Does this mean the rest of us get to go out and join a cause, and kill people, and the Canadian state is required to bail us out?

The way this ruling is being presented makes no sense. What specific right is this person being deprived of? I can't think of what it would be.

Supreme Court won't force Ottawa to repatriate Khadr.

Link: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2499075

Omar Khadr should make us afraid to be Canadian if we go abroad or worse, are taken there against our will.

If the supreme court can't or won't control our government's foreign policies Canadians need to. Our military alliances clearly need to be put to a full public review and decisions to involve ourselves in any conflict outside our borders should be put to public referendum.

Canada has clearly lost its way. The reason our country is guilty of war crimes and violating the human and constitutional rights of our own citizens is because our democracy is in a complete shambles. If this disgraceful state of affairs stands I'll have no compunction whatsoever in doing everything in my power to help promote and provoke the separation and dissolution of confederation.

The federal government and our democratic institutions are a pile of shit. I'm no longer just ashamed to be Canadian I'm disgusted.

What are you saying? I think the idea that the Supreme Court can review our foreign policy, to me, is proof positive that 100 years of public education have been wasted, and that the Court has a bad case of mission creep. They need to have their ears pinned back. They have a bigger social agenda than some political parties have.

What right has Kadr been deprived of? Does ANYBODY know?

it would appear the Supreme Court has given Harper just enough rope... to either do the right thing or to completely and irrecoverably position the perogy meister as turning a blind eye to the Charter and the protections it affords to all Canadian citizens.

from the ruling:

[37] The limited power of the courts to review exercises of the prerogative power for constitutionality reflects the fact that in a constitutional democracy, all government power must be exercised in accordance with the Constitution. This said, judicial review of the exercise of the prerogative power for constitutionality remains sensitive to the fact that the executive branch of government is responsible for decisions under this power, and that the executive is better placed to make such decisions within a range of constitutional options. The government must have flexibility in deciding how its duties under the power are to be discharged: see, e.g., Reference re Secession of Quebec, [1998] 2 S.C.R. 217, at paras. 101-2. But it is for the courts to determine the legal and constitutional limits within which such decisions are to be taken. It follows that in the case of refusal by a government to abide by constitutional constraints, courts are empowered to make orders ensuring that the government’s foreign affairs prerogative is exercised in accordance with the constitution: United States v. Burns, 2001 SCC 7, [2001] 1 S.C.R. 283.

the Supreme Court of Canada declaration is there... will the Harper Conservatives recognize and act upon that declaration - in accordance with the Charter?

it would appear the Supreme Court has given Harper just enough rope... to either do the right thing or to completely and irrecoverably position the perogy meister as turning a blind eye to the Charter and the protections it affords to all Canadian citizens.

from the ruling:

the Supreme Court of Canada declaration is there... will the Harper Conservatives recognize and act upon that declaration - in accordance with the Charter?

Indeed I thought the Court was very clear that they hesitate to infringe on foreign policy, so they are letting the PM decide the best way to handle it. But knowing that this is what…the third? appeal made on similar decisions - weeelllll....forgive 'em if they there's a naggling doubt there that his rights will be protected.

UNANIMOUS decision. Seems pretty damn clear to me

What are you saying? I think the idea that the Supreme Court can review our foreign policy, to me, is proof positive that 100 years of public education have been wasted, and that the Court has a bad case of mission creep. They need to have their ears pinned back. They have a bigger social agenda than some political parties have.

I think you should read a little more carefully. They are pretty clear about how they feel about infinging on foreign policy....

What right has Kadr been deprived of? Does ANYBODY know?

:lol: seriously?

as is typical for you Simple... you miss the most salient point: the Harper Conservatives will now be forced to publicly state whether they will (finally) recognize... and act... on a declaration from the Supreme Court of Canada - that Khadr's rights as a citizen of Canada were violated - and continue to be violated (during the Harper tenure). Will the Harper Conservatives recognize the declaration and apply remedy in conformity with the Charter. Did you somehow interpret this Supreme Court ruling as a "win" for the Harper Conservatives???

Don't feel too bad for Omar.Last I heard,the rest of his family is still here in Canada,sponging off Canadians,spewing their hateful bile,all the while being coddled and protected by the bleeding hearts.Why would it be a good thing for this young man(who,like his family,despises Canada)to be reunited with his family?

It's not a stretch to call the Khadr family evil monsters.They will get no sympathy from me.

Omar Khadr should make us afraid to be Canadian if we go abroad or worse

Yes, if you're Canadian, and you go abroad to commit terrorist acts, killing people, you may have a tough time. Wow, I'm so afraid. :rolleyes:

I'm no longer just ashamed to be Canadian I'm disgusted.

Good. Then feel free to leave. :angry:

Oh, and by the way, I'm also ashamed and disgusted that you're Canadian too.

Edited by Shady

If the ruling says his human rights were violated by the Canadian government, does it mean he can sue the government of Canada? Yes I think it does.

Does it mean the Canadian government is guilty of crimes against humanity? Not really, if its an isolated case. But the same ruling would probably apply to all prisoners in Guantanamo, and so is part of a condemnation of the United States as well.

Don't feel too bad for Omar.Last I heard,the rest of his family is still here in Canada,sponging off Canadians,spewing their hateful bile,all the while being coddled and protected by the bleeding hearts.Why would it be a good thing for this young man(who,like his family,despises Canada)to be reunited with his family?

It's not a stretch to call the Khadr family evil monsters.They will get no sympathy from me.

you shouldn't feel too isolated... too relegated... many right-wing non-thinkers have difficulty separating principle from partisanship and ideological loyalties.

Perhaps it should make Canadians more careful about what they get involved in when they go abroad if they expect their government to come to their rescue.

By that logic I guess it should also make foetuses more careful about who's womb they're born from. And we're supposed to believe that Canada cares about kids welfare on the global stage? In a pig's eye it does.

This should make Canadians more careful about how their government is run. Again, the government is barely within our control within our borders but once its abroad anything goes...including the violation of our citizen's rights and the human rights of people in any countries our government chooses to abuse in our name.

Ummm...OK...apparently the court has subordinated Khadr's rights as well.

and yet... your government was fully prepared to hand Khadr over - was working toward that end given earlier Canadian lower court rulings. Is that the kind of subordination you're accepting to... or the kind that has shown your government sending other detainees to their countries of origin based on the requests of those countries? Is subordination in the eyes of the beholder?

you shouldn't feel too isolated... too relegated... many right-wing non-thinkers have difficulty separating principle from partisanship and ideological loyalties.

And you can't distinguish right from wrong,good from bad.What does that say about your moral compass?What kind of principles do you have to be so supportive of people like the Khadr family and the things they stand for?

Good. Then feel free to leave. :angry:

Yeah? Make me. Better yet how about you and anyone else who subscribes to this bullshit bugger off instead. :angry:

Oh, and by the way, I'm also ashamed and disgusted that you're Canadian too.

Oh is that right? Its people like you that have made Canada (spit) what it's become today not me. You deserve just about anything we get at this point.

By that logic I guess it should also make foetuses more careful about who's womb they're born from. And we're supposed to believe that Canada cares about kids welfare on the global stage? In a pig's eye it does.

This should make Canadians more careful about how their government is run. Again, the government is barely within our control within our borders but once its abroad anything goes...including the violation of our citizen's rights and the human rights of people in any countries our government chooses to abuse in our name.

If you want to take it upon yourself to engage in a foreign war, particularly one that could involve you fighting against your "own country", don't expect that country to bend over backward for you. Particularly if your actions are "abusing" the rights of people in that country. It you chose to engage in another country's civil war, this country's government has no obligation to you when it comes to te result.

What makes you think you have the right to impose Canada's Charter of Rights on another country?