New Israeli Battery

New Israeli battery provides thousands of hours of power

A new kind of portable electrochemical battery that can produce thousands of hours of power - and soon replace the expensive regular or rechargeable batteries in hearing aids and sensors and eventually in cellphones, laptop computers and even electric cars - has been developed at Haifa's Technion-Israel Institute of Technology.

Link

Great news!

In a related story, the Palestinian's have developed a bigger suicide vest, that holds twice the amount of explosives. :lol::P

Well great....one point in the article is wrong.

"Ordinary portable batteries are composed of a positive electrode called a cathode and a negative one called an anode. "

The cathode is the negative electrode and the anode the positive. Well, maybe in Great Britain they are reversed. I don't know, except positive in England is negative in the US.

I'm all for better batteries - I hate batteries.

Edited by Pliny

Well great....one point in the article is wrong.

"Ordinary portable batteries are composed of a positive electrode called a cathode and a negative one called an anode. "

The cathode is the negative electrode and the anode the positive. Well, maybe in Great Britain they are reversed. I don't know, except positive in England is negative in the US.

I'm all for better batteries - I hate batteries.

Damn European electrical outlets. Good news re: batteries.

• 2 months later...

On the subject of batteries, there's also a revolutionary Canadian-made battery made in Mississauga for electric cars. The Lithium Ion Polymer battery can power electric vehicles for longer in a smaller battery. Ontario also gave them 17 million$ to expand it's operation. Here's a couple links: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/08/04/electrovaya-funding.html, http://www.electrovaya.com/products/master/Default.aspx

Not rechargeable. Its not really a battery then.

You might as well just use kerosene lighter fluid and run a laptop off of that (which you can)

They say future versions could be made rechargeable. If you could run a laptop for a year without having to recharge the battery I think it would go over quite well. Not having to take a charger along or worry about running out of battery before I finish something because I have no place to plug in. Depending on cost it sure works for me.

Interesting article. Good post. Thanks for that.

Batteries are key--something that will hold the spark of energy...but as with our old fashioned acid and lead batteries disposal of the toxic waste is very difficult...I hope the new battery technology is less poisonous. Seems that it is almost impossble to get something for nothing..but if anyone can do it...the Israelis can...ooops...that sounds like a prejudical sterotyping...I meant.....To have a clean source power via electric motors that are portagble...eg...cars etc... The battery will always be the problem...just as the process to create hydrogen is also one of those you can't get something for nothing deals...good luck and let Moses be with you!

• 4 months later...

Very glad to know because I'm very frustrated on today's batteries performance. Its life is not long enough to satisfy me, charge about more than four hours but the life seem to have just 6 hours to 8 hours.

Isaac,

Current Health Articles

To devolpe a substance that will surpass the performance of lithium in batteries is the key..still in physics it is almost impossible to get something for nothing..to store energy is difficult - the very mechanics of storage takes power - hence the depleation of power - you put in 100 percent you are going to come out with a 40 % yeild - battery developement is akin to the age old search for the perpetual motion machine - it will never happen in this world.

Batteries are constantly advancing but the reality is there is only so much energy per unit mass you can get out of a chemical reaction. Batteries also have the additional restrictions that they must operate at low temperatures and essentially at constant volume. This rules out all of the most energetic chemical reactions, leaving only relatively low energy ones available for use in batteries. Nanotechnology offers the best possibilities of further improvement in electrochemical energy storage but that too has its limits.

Fact is, the only revolutionary battery technologies that can increase battery life by orders of magnitude are those based on nuclear rather than chemical reactions. Consider for example the betavoltaic battery:

http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=2154

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/23959/

RTGs offer similar advantages, and have seen extensive use in a variety of applications demonstrating their longevity and reliability, but generally require highly restricted materials (unlike some betavoltaics).

When/if people can get over their irrational fear of all things nuclear and realize the vast promise of these technologies we'll see real gains in energy storage. Until then, just the incremental, asymptotic, advance of chemical battery technology will have to do.

This listing seems based on technology so I doubt that it reflects what I want to post. I was looking for a measure of world respected patents. IOW, I was looking for intellectual property rights.

I'll take the "Network Readiness Index" (whatever that means) as a suitable proxy.

Israel places 28th, behind the the UAE (23rd) but before Saudi Arabia (38th) and every other Arab country (Egypt is ranked 70th).

----

Israel may be ahead of every other Middle Eastern, Arab country (except for the UAE) in the Network Readiness Index, but Israel is a functioning liberal democracy where governments change. Hosni Mubarak has been the president of Egypt since the assassination of Anwar Sadat in 1981. The rulers of Saudi Arabia are determined by birth, or assassination - like Syria and Jordan. And the UAE.

Life admittedly involves trade offs. Poor societies must seemingly choose between such conflicting goals as: technical innovation, environmental protection, political stability, economic growth, labour laws, human rights, democracy, female genital mutilation.

Where is Israeli society on such questions?

Where is Saudi society?