Ex-Tory MP Jaffer charged with cocaine possession

jdobbin

BTW....it wasn't the judge that let Jaffer walk....it was the crown attorney.

Life is good when you travel in elite circles. Two tier justice for our elites.

“I’m wearing my lenses as a defence lawyer and thinking, ‘Boy, it would be great if I could get my client a deal like that,’” Mr. Comartin told The Globe about the controversial plea bargain.

Mr. Comartin says, for example, that the only time he can remember a breathalyzer charge being dropped was when “I had a very clear defence the machine was not working properly.”

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had hoped he had done the right thing and turned in his coke supplier, I guess not. Having the judge on your side helps but that still doesn't stop the fact that he was in possession of an legal drug and that his wife is a minsiter of this country. I wonder how many other ministers are into these drugs? How will the Tories answer this new info. about Flaherty himself appointing the judge? Things are going to heat up again in Question Period today.

.... but that still doesn't stop the fact that he was in possession of an legal drug ...

Read the article carefully. He was not in possesion of cocaine.

Having the judge on your side helps

Sure does but in this case, no. It was the crown attorney who afer meeting the defense decided that they could nnot get a conviction. That isn't the judges decision.

How will the Tories answer this new info. about Flaherty himself appointing the judge?

I'm sure thye will say that when Flaherty appointed the Judge, Flaherty knew that one day 20 years later Jaffer would appear before him.

All bow down to your psychic overlords...

I had hoped he had done the right thing and turned in his coke supplier, I guess not. Having the judge on your side helps but that still doesn't stop the fact that he was in possession of an legal drug and that his wife is a minsiter of this country. I wonder how many other ministers are into these drugs? How will the Tories answer this new info. about Flaherty himself appointing the judge? Things are going to heat up again in Question Period today.

It was the crown prosecutor that dropped the charge not the judge how will the morons respond to that?

It was the crown prosecutor that dropped the charge not the judge how will the morons respond to that?

The crown prosecutor was on the take.

Not the first time in Canadian history.

If you are rich or have influential political

or legal links in this country, you can get

your well-paid lawyer to do a little greasing of some palms

in exchange for some future favours.

There's a law for the rich, and a law for the poor in this country.

Who do you think is going to get the better deal?

Hey, that's libelous, you will say!

Yes, it is!...But I am anonymous here on the internet.

So let that crown prosecutor try and sue me...ha ha ha.

The crown prosecutor was on the take.

Not the first time in Canadian history.

If you are rich or have influential political

or legal links in this country, you can get

your well-paid lawyer to do a little greasing of some palms

in exchange for some future favours.

There's a law for the rich, and a law for the poor in this country.

Who do you think is going to get the better deal?

To prove my point.

Remember Keith Richards got busted for heroin possession

in Toronto in 1979?

He got a 'slap on the wrist' in Canadian court.

If I had been busted for heroin possession back then I would have spent 3 years in prison in Canada;

In America, probably 15 years.

Actually you are not anonymous on the internet these sites log your ip address

some forum rules for you

LEGAL ISSUES/ACTION

You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless Maple Leaf Web with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

By participating in these forums, you grant us the right and licence to use, reproduce and display any submissions to the forum without compensation to you or any one else.

We at Mapleleafweb.com also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

good thing the site has an edit button.

Edited by Alta4ever

You'll say anything to coddle your own and stick it to others.

Excuse me !!! Jaffer is not 'one of my own', he is not, and was not an MP at the time of the incident, and in fact, was booted out, so why would the CPC allegedly bribe or somehow corrupt the provincial court system.

I think this is a great deal of yelling about nothing. The accusations that some are throwing around here are rather uncalled for. There has to be a reason that the Crown dropped the charges. Have we on the centre - left suddenly forgotten innocent until proven guilty?

The sentence was a result of negotiation between the Crown and the defence, it didn't go to the judge. There is absolutely no evidence that the CPC somehow stepped in and corrupted a provincial court or that any of the court people would allow themselves to be somehow bribed or corrupted. If I were McGuinty I would be incensed that those allegations have been made about provincial courts.

According to the Herald and other reports, there was not enough evidence and it could have been a charter issue. It is obvious that this is nothing but political opportunism and a smear job from an opposition that has nothing else going for it.

I wonder what part of provincial court do people understand, not to mention that no matter what the sentence it wouldn't have been enough for the attack dogs.

If that's what it takes for the public to demand that Crown Attorneys and judges get tough with prosecuting serious offences, I have no complaint.

What? Ex-Conservative MPs too? Unfortunately Conservative people like Vic Toews don't agree with you; it seems they will defend Jaffer's escape from justice. But that's because "he made a mistake and will probably pay for it for the rest of his life." If that were a non-Con making a mistake , that mistake should wind you up in jail because, obviously, that's the only way you'll pay for it .... I guess the moral of this story, according to Conservatives, is non-Cons aren't smart enough to learn without jail.

Blah, blah, blah.

Still bad optics for the Harper Party. Entitlements abound ..

What? Ex-Conservative MPs too? Unfortunately Conservative people like Vic Toews don't agree with you; it seems they will defend Jaffer's escape from justice. But that's because "he made a mistake and will probably pay for it for the rest of his life." If that were a non-Con making a mistake , that mistake should wind you up in jail because, obviously, that's the only way you'll pay for it .... I guess the moral of this story, according to Conservatives, is non-Cons aren't smart enough to learn without jail.

Blah, blah, blah.

I guess the liberals should have passed the manditory minimums when they had the chance. If fact I wish they would have.

I guess the liberals should have passed the manditory minimums when they had the chance. If fact I wish they would have.

Nope, hope it never passes. That is just a bogus feel-good measure that doesn't do anything to benefit society in the long term. The Con sheep parrot this as a panacea to all the crime ills (which have been going steadily down) but without understanding that this could lead to more societal harm than good.

Nice to be a sheep and just see things in black and white.

That wouldn't have made a bit of difference in this case, and you know it. But you're right, I wish the Conservative's wouldn't have prorogued, thus setting back all of their legal legislation.

That wouldn't have made a bit of difference in this case, and you know it. But you're right, I wish the Conservative's wouldn't have prorogued, thus setting back all of their legal legislation.

yabut, they were only gone 22 days - what's the big deal. And all that legislation will come right back to the same point it left off at... and if it doesn't, it's the fault of the Opposition. Besides, Conservatives were hard at work during the perogy break... you don't actually need to be in Parliament - don't you know! Look, they're back - fresher than ever, they have a special bounce in their steps... can't you just feel the difference a recalibration makes... and if you can't, why can't you - what's wrong with you? The proof is in the pudding - the Throne Speech... and... the budget, tell us everything we need to know about the value of the Harper perogy move. I heart Stephen Harper :lol:

yabut, they were only gone 22 days - what's the big deal. And all that legislation will come right back to the same point it left off at... and if it doesn't, it's the fault of the Opposition. Besides, Conservatives were hard at work during the perogy break... you don't actually need to be in Parliament - don't you know! Look, they're back - fresher than ever, they have a special bounce in their steps... can't you just feel the difference a recalibration makes... and if you can't, why can't you - what's wrong with you? The proof is in the pudding - the Throne Speech... and... the budget, tell us everything we need to know about the value of the Harper perogy move. I heart Stephen Harper :lol:

It'a lot more than that, all legislation in the system that hadn't received royal assent went in the dumpster.

It's not that personal responsibility is passé it's just often too damned unreliable. That's one of the main reasons I think cars and roads should be automated.

Sorry but you aren't going to take the pleasure I get from driving my car away from me.

Unfortunately Conservative people like Vic Toews don't agree with you; it seems they will defend Jaffer's escape from justice.

Well whoopeedo. I couldn't care less if Toews or others agree with me or not.

Do you think maybe this will be bad optics for the Liberal Party?

Former Trinity-Spadina Liberal MP Tony Ianno will appear before the Ontario Securities Commission following allegations of illegal trading.

According to a statement of allegations by the commission, Ianno purchased 4 million common shares of Covalon Technologies Ltd., a medical biosystems company, between January 2007 and April 2008, then “manipulated the market for Covalon shares by raising or artificially maintaining their price.”

---

The volume of the shares was 640,000, with a value of approximately $1.9 million. A “significant portion” of those trades were active and occurred in the last 30 minutes of trading, the commission said.

Ianno said he would appear before the commission on March 30.

Ianno represented Trinity-Spadina as a backbench Liberal MP from 1993 until his defeat in 2006.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/777840--ex-mp-tony-ianno-faces-securities-probe?bn=1

Now, this part made me laugh.

According to the report, Ianno and Manzo were in contact approximately 300 times, via their cell phones, between November 2007 and April 2008. During that time they “coordinated their purchases in order to raise or maintain the price of Covalon shares,” the commission said.

Ianno said he had “no dealings” with Manzo.

“He is an acquaintance, someone that I met through some mutual friends but had no dealings with him,” other than just regular communication, he said.

300 cell phone contacts in a period of 6 months. That's 50 calls per month, an average of more than one a day. And he calls Manzo an acquaintance? :lol:

Anyhoo, we'll see what happens to ex-Liberal MP Ianno on March 30 when he appears before the Ontario Securities Commission to answer charges of insider trading. Perhaps then it will be worthy of its own thread.

My take of Jaffer: move on.

Sure it's politically titillating (former Con MP busted drunk driving and with coke), but at the end of the day is society better served locking-up someone who (to my knowledge) has no priors and who is seen as unlikely to re-offend?

I'm no friend to the prevailing brand of conservatives in this country, but I think a little perspective is warranted here. Let Jaffer pay his fine so that those more worthy of state accommodations get their cell.

If Jaffer offends again... throw a heavy book at him (in a cell).

Sure it's politically titillating (former Con MP busted drunk driving and with coke), but at the end of the day is society better served locking-up someone who (to my knowledge) has no priors and who is seen as unlikely to re-offend?

I'm no friend to the prevailing brand of conservatives in this country, but I think a little perspective is warranted here. Let Jaffer pay his fine so that those more worthy of state accommodations get their cell.

I tend to agree, however, one wonders if Jaffer was treated the same as a regular Joe.

I've defended his wife in another thread based on the merits of that case.

I can't do the same here - there is a perception of special treatment that stinks and it is rubbing off on the CPC.

My take on it is, I could care less who was drunk driving with cocaine. Charge with full extent of the law. The fact that he is a celebrity should garner an even higher sentance because he knowingly broke the law while campaigning under tough on crime (if the police reports are true) and to set an example.

I view people like this as cancer. Jaffer has become a cancer to the CPC with this incident. he should have been thrown under the bus the second it happened. It would be one hell of a deterrant to other party MP's to not screw around. Metaphorically speaking, if there is cancer, there needs to be chemotherapy...

Well whoopeedo. I couldn't care less if Toews or others agree with me or not.

Do you think maybe this will be bad optics for the Liberal Party?

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/777840--ex-mp-tony-ianno-faces-securities-probe?bn=1

Now, this part made me laugh.

300 cell phone contacts in a period of 6 months. That's 50 calls per month, an average of more than one a day. And he calls Manzo an acquaintance? :lol:

Anyhoo, we'll see what happens to ex-Liberal MP Ianno on March 30 when he appears before the Ontario Securities Commission to answer charges of insider trading. Perhaps then it will be worthy of its own thread.

I hope that this Ianno gets what ever punishment he is on record as advocating when he was MP for other people caught doing something similar. It's the hypocricy of the whole thing that bugs me. Jaffer ran attack ads against Layton over pot decrim while being a drug user himself. I think the fact that he has a lot of money has more to do with getting off on his charges than his connections do too. What makes me mad is that SOME people seem to be able to buy their way out of touble, so it is two-tiered justice. Justice should be fair, and everyone should be equal under the law. They aren't

Let me be clear. I do not think that Mr Jaffer or anyone else should go to jail for what he was accused of. I think that he was driving dangerously, and that he blew over. The public safety would be sufficiently served by taking Mr Jaffer's liscence away. Taxpayers's don't need to be on the hook for his room and board just because he behaved irresponsibly and made a mistake. It costs about 90,000 dollars a year to jail someone. I'd rather Mr Jaffer was working and paying taxes than incarcerated. He is no threat to public safety if he can't drive. He could have caused an accident, yes, but he was not conciously deciding to hurt anyone in the same way that a thief or someone who commits an assault does. I support long jail sentences for thieves and violent offenders. For me its about intention to cause harm. I do not suspect that Mr Jaffer judged himself to be impaired, and drove anyway. He probably thought he was fine to drive. Alcohol is notoriously bad for one's judgement though. It takes very little alcohol to have quite an impact on reaction time.

I really think that eyeball is on to something with the automation thing. Not full automation, but a mandatory detection system on all registered vehicles that could shuts down the vehicle and calls the police if it detects erratic driving behaviour. When the police get there they could determine if the person was in fact fit to drive. The police would have an overide to reset the killswitch on the car. They could even have a device to activate the killswitch from a distance ending the need for high speed chases. The box could also keep a 12 hour record of the vehicles' speed and information as to where the car had been. Millions of lives will be saved by the programmer that invents this. It would end the stolen car problem, impaired driving, speeding. Canada should have used some of that infrastructure money to implement something like that. It would have saved us billions in health care over the next few years.

Alta4ever said " Sorry but you aren't going to take the pleasure I get from driving my car away from me."

Funny, I feel the same way about my ganja.

Edited by DrGreenthumb