Ex-Tory MP Jaffer charged with cocaine possession

jdobbin

Did anyone know that the judge was a long time time Conservative, appointed to the bench by none other than Jim Flaherty? Or that the Conservative MP for the riding worked for 20 years in the very Orangeville courthouse that Jaffer got his plea bargain? Also the prosecuter was recently the moderator of a debate on status of women's issues in Orangeville. Who is the minister of state for status of women again?

Does anyone know a source to back up these claims?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must agree. A cabinet members husband, and former MP gets a very nice break that most of us would never get.

You're quite mistaken.

First time offenders are routinely given breaks on crimes a lot worse than posession. For that matter, even people with long criminal records are routinely given breaks on crimes a lot worse than posession. People have been given sentences of house arrest for rape and murder, and you're astonished that a well-heeled, respectable member of the community wasn't slammed into prison because a cop found a bit of coke in his car? What planet have you been living on?

Jaffer is clearly a hypocrite, and now unelectable in any position. His political career is done, and he is most unlikely to even get a cushy appointment to anything as a consolation prize. Thus his punishment for his cocaine use will be considerably worse than that of most people.

You're quite mistaken.

First time offenders are routinely given breaks on crimes a lot worse than posession. For that matter, even people with long criminal records are routinely given breaks on crimes a lot worse than posession. People have been given sentences of house arrest for rape and murder, and you're astonished that a well-heeled, respectable member of the community wasn't slammed into prison because a cop found a bit of coke in his car? What planet have you been living on?

Jaffer is clearly a hypocrite, and now unelectable in any position. His political career is done, and he is most unlikely to even get a cushy appointment to anything as a consolation prize. Thus his punishment for his cocaine use will be considerably worse than that of most people.

How many folks do you know or have heard of that walked from a failed breath test?

How many folks do you know or have heard of that walked from a failed breath test?

According to the police, the tests registered more than 80 milligrams of alcohol (0.08) in Jaffer's blood.

BTW....it wasn't the judge that let Jaffer walk....it was the crown attorney.

I figured there was a Charter connection to some of the charges being dropped, as I mentioned in a previous post.

A rookie Ontario Provincial Police officer failed to follow proper procedures during a strip search of Jaffer, 38, causing the Crown to conclude the case would be open to a Charter challenge, the Star has learned. While the OPP opposed Jaffer only being charged with careless driving, the Crown took a steadfast position, sources say.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/777576--judge-gives-former-tory-mp-500-slap-on-wrist

By the way it isn't just the "Liberal" partisans you Cons so seem to like to blame for everything, it has everybody other than the "Conservative" partisans talking.

If that's what it takes for the public to demand that Crown Attorneys and judges get tough with prosecuting serious offences, I have no complaint.

I guess people are forgetting about the accusations by John Tory re: the Liberal "catch and release" policy. The Liberals set the bar for plea bargaining LOL

Interesting how the opposition is attempting to politisize the issue to the point of suggesting the the Liberal justice system is corrupted.

Did anyone know that the judge was a long time time Conservative, appointed to the bench by none other than Jim Flaherty? Or that the Conservative MP for the riding worked for 20 years in the very Orangeville courthouse that Jaffer got his plea bargain? Also the prosecuter was recently the moderator of a debate on status of women's issues in Orangeville. Who is the minister of state for status of women again?

Provincial judges are not picked by the gov't, their names are put forward by an independent committee, the gov't generally accepts them.

Interesting to read the suggestions that people think the provincial court system is corrupt though.

I guess I'm just glad this is going to further damage the possibility of Harper's Conservatives every getting a majority. Otherwise I could care less given that drugs should be legal and cars should be outfitted with breathalyzer ignition interlock systems.

It's 2010 for crying out loud, I was expecting fully automated roads and cars with wet bars by now.

Does anyone know a source to back up these claims?

From Hansard for the Ontario Legislature for April 3, 1996:

Let me go through some of the other appointments ...

... Douglas Maund, to the Orangeville Police Services Board, chief of staff to Perrin Beatty and political friend of your Minister of Health, who also worked for Perrin Beatty.

Source: http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/house-proceedings/house_detail.do?Date=1996-04-03&Parl=36&Sess=1&locale=en

Perrin Beatty, of course, was a cabinet minister in Brian Mulroney's Conservative government. The Minister of Health at the time of the above quote was Jim Wilson, who is the Conservative MPP in Helena Guergis' riding.

Judge Maund was appointed to the court on October 4, 2000. Source: http://www.ontariocourts.on.ca/ocj/en/reports/annualreport/05.pdf

Jim Flaherty was the Attorney General of Ontario in 2000. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Flaherty#Cabinet

Edited by robert_viera

If that's what it takes for the public to demand that Crown Attorneys and judges get tough with prosecuting serious offences, I have no complaint.

I agree. I have no sympathy for anyone who drives under the influence of drugs, booze or cold medicine.

I guess I'm just glad this is going to further damage the possibility of Harper's Conservatives every getting a majority. Otherwise I could care less given that drugs should be legal and cars should be outfitted with breathalyzer ignition interlock systems.

It's 2010 for crying out loud, I was expecting fully automated roads and cars with wet bars by now.

So are you willing to pay extra for this I'M NOT. Zero tolerance pull the license punish them. But unfortunately our natural governing party wants to give everyone a slap on the wrist, and send them on their way.

If we legalize drugs I want a system of underwriten health premiums those pricks who chose to do them can pay for there own damn healthcare not me.

So are you willing to pay extra for this I'M NOT. Zero tolerance pull the license punish them. But unfortunately our natural governing party wants to give everyone a slap on the wrist, and send them on their way.

If we legalize drugs I want a system of underwriten health premiums those pricks who chose to do them can pay for there own damn healthcare not me.

And the same treatment for those who can be proven to have used alcohol, cigarettes, fatty foods etc?

yep

So what you are really saying is that you oppose a publicly funded Health care system? Or is it that you prefer using a publicly funded health care system to limit people's lifestyle choices? Health enforcement officers anyone? Sorry I think we can keep our Health care system without sacrificing our freedoms. Just curious should we also make it customer pay for athletes who get hurt playing violent sports like hockey? Mountain climbers? for children who play in soccer leaugues? School sports like basketball? My daughter broke 2 fingers last month playing basketball. Statisticly I'll bet competeing in sports is more likely to cost our health system money than being a pot smoker does.

So what you are really saying is that you oppose a publicly funded Health care system? Or is it that you prefer using a publicly funded health care system to limit people's lifestyle choices? Health enforcement officers anyone? Sorry I think we can keep our Health care system without sacrificing our freedoms. Just curious should we also make it customer pay for athletes who get hurt playing violent sports like hockey? Mountain climbers? for children who play in soccer leaugues? School sports like basketball? My daughter broke 2 fingers last month playing basketball. Statisticly I'll bet competeing in sports is more likely to cost our health system money than being a pot smoker does.

I prefer freedoms coupled with responsibility. You seem to want the freedom but none of the responsibility that comes with it.

I agree.

As for automating our roads, we should have started down that path on general safety principles alone years ago.

It's 2010 for crying out loud, personal responsibility is so passé

Edited by Wilber

I guess people are forgetting about the accusations by John Tory re: the Liberal "catch and release" policy. The Liberals set the bar for plea bargaining LOL

Interesting how the opposition is attempting to politisize the issue to the point of suggesting the the Liberal justice system is corrupted.

You'll say anything to coddle your own and stick it to others.

Not necessarily. What it could do is further rile the public into wanting stiffer minimum sentences and punishments for certain offences. That could play right into the Conservatives' hand of tougher law and order initiatives.

Rational individuals can separate and differentiate between Guergis' airport escapade from her husband's encounter with the law.

You're thoughts on the ability of people to rationally discern the differences and nuances between things like escapades, crimes and the appearance of two tiered justice systems is at odds with your hope that people will just as irrationally allow a galvanizing event like this to push them into accepting an ever harsher and more vindictive justice system.

You should, this is a terrible way to govern a country where public policy is formulated on the basis of public reaction to crisis and outrage. There is nothing remotely rational about this.